PDA

View Full Version : Gamma World UA coming?

jaappleton
2017-03-08, 12:44 PM
Mike Mearls: "What UA will be after the current round of material is a big, open question. Was toying with releasing my Gamma World conversion."

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/839531650417479680

DISCUSS!

Regitnui
2017-03-08, 12:51 PM
Interesting. That'd be an unusual alternative to d20 modern

jaappleton
2017-03-08, 12:57 PM
Interesting. That'd be an unusual alternative to d20 modern

The answer was in direct response to someone asking "Hey, going to do a d20 modern update?"

So... Yeah, pretty interesting indeed.

I've never played the setting, but I know there's tons of fans of it.

DracoKnight
2017-03-08, 12:59 PM
What is Gamma World?

jaappleton
2017-03-08, 01:04 PM
What is Gamma World?

I'm not doing it justice by describing it this way, but this is a VERY rough concept on it:

D&D meets the older, PC style Fallout titles.

DracoKnight
2017-03-08, 01:28 PM
I'm not doing it justice by describing it this way, but this is a VERY rough concept on it:

.................I would be totally okay with them doing multiple articles on this. Actually, can they please just publish it officially?

Regitnui
2017-03-08, 01:38 PM
TvTropes' page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/GammaWorld) on Gamma World.

Honestly, as much as people clamour for a new Setting, I still think we're looking at Eberron, then Dark Sun for the official schedule. If, however, Gamma World had a EEPC-style free release and DMsG license, it'd certainly go down well, I think. I would, however, throw my metaphorical toys out of the cot if Eberron is delayed for a relatively obscure property such as Gamma World. No offense intended to fans of it, but I've seen more people clamouring for the races, psionics and setting than I have for Dragonlance, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun combined.

Beleriphon
2017-03-08, 02:31 PM

Vaguely accurate. Gamma World is gonzo post-apoc world where your character could be a Sasquatche, a radioactive yeti, or a sapient dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_World

King539
2017-03-08, 02:34 PM
I am almost as excited for this as I am for the Mystic.

jaappleton
2017-03-08, 02:43 PM
Here's the thing, though.

This is Mike Mearls having converted Gamma World on his own, in his spare time. This is "Hey, here's my take on it if you're interested".

This isn't part of the "We're doing UA constantly for awhile in prep for something"

This is AFTER that.

So while it's likely for UA, it's not necessarily likely for an official release or support, like this recent UA stuff is.

Regitnui
2017-03-08, 11:32 PM
A number of the UA subclasses, along with the artificer and mystic, hint that Eberron is the next big release. Planar druids and cavalry fighters (Valenar elves) are the two I can think of.

But, an EEPC-like Gamma World.conversion could be hilarious.

danpit2991
2017-03-09, 12:03 AM
Vaguely accurate. Gamma World is gonzo post-apoc world where your character could be a Sasquatche, a radioactive yeti, or a sapient dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_World

or my favorite an anthropomorphic rabbit

JBPuffin
2017-03-09, 12:10 AM
I would, however, throw my metaphorical toys out of the cot if Eberron is delayed for a relatively obscure property such as Gamma World. No offense intended to fans of it, but I've seen more people clamouring for the races, psionics and setting than I have for Dragonlance, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun combined.

Legit question - is Gamma World obscure? I thought with 7E (the 4e edition and the one I played extensively) they did a pretty good job of getting it out there. Admittedly, since it's not a core D&D title (different rules, setting, tone...), that might keep it out of the average player's radar.

Regitnui
2017-03-09, 12:17 AM
Legit question - is Gamma World obscure? I thought with 7E (the 4e edition and the one I played extensively) they did a pretty good job of getting it out there. Admittedly, since it's not a core D&D title (different rules, setting, tone...), that might keep it out of the average player's radar.

Note I said "relatively obscure". Eberron is one of Wizard's Big Three properties, since 3.5 and through 4, which is impressive considering it makes no effort to continue a storyline, beyond the DMs decisions. Nentir Vale, despite being the default state of 4e, is relatively obscure compared to Eberron.

Gamma World could have a lot of fans, but I haven't heard them. I've heard many more voices for Eberron, Dark Sun, Spelljammer and Dragonlance.

jaappleton
2017-03-09, 06:47 AM
I don't believe Gamma World is an actual, official D&D setting despite using pretty much the same system. It was another thing originally published by TSR back in the day, I know that much.

some guy
2017-03-09, 09:52 AM
Frigg yes.
I was thinking of conversing the 7e gamma world to 5e dnd myself. I like 7e GW, even though it really needed crafting and survival rules. Having better crafting and survival rules for 5e could be fun for gritty 5e anyway.

Millstone85
2017-03-09, 11:01 AM
I am still hoping for a Manual of the Planes that would care more about settings than a standard tour of the Great Wheel. It would be a good place to officially release rules on how to build a thri-kreen mystic or a warforged artificer in 5e, along with a concise explanation of what worlds consider these a common occurrence or not.

This kind of UA might be plausible in preparation for such a book.

Typhon
2017-03-09, 01:33 PM
looking over some of the older material, I think the reason they are going gamma world is that they are using it as a test setting for psionics. Hear me out.

Back in the days of 2nd ed, gamma was the sci-fi setting. Instead of magic they set up the 2nd edition psionics in that place and many items of that setting reflected this. So by my estimation, they are going to do something similar and use gamma world to set up psionics. Then it becomes easier to implement them for 5e.

I do feel this might backfire though, as there are quite a number of people that already see psionics as a sci-fi trope and not a fantasy aspect.