PDA

View Full Version : Persona 5 - Any Megami tensei fans around here?

LughSpear
2017-03-08, 01:32 PM
Hello guys, I have always been a big fan f the Shin megami tensei series, as well as the persona spins off...

So, anyone is as exciting as me for the new game that is coming?
What you guys think of the new characters and mechanics? Did you like the return of the demon negotiations? The new camera style? The new art style for the new personas? How about the prison theme?

I just know I really look forward to it. :)

Zevox
2017-03-08, 07:54 PM
I'm a huge Persona fan, and more moderate SMT fan. Definitely looking forward to Persona 5, more than any other game for a long time. I've avoided looking into details about it, to make sure I don't hit any spoilers, so I can't say much about those, but...

Did you like the return of the demon negotiations?
...wait up. What? :smalleek:

Please tell me they differ substantially from those in the first two Persona titles. Because that was perhaps the single worst part of those games, and a leading (though not sole) reason why I was unable to bring myself to play them all the way through, so that worries me.

Kitten Champion
2017-03-08, 11:02 PM
I'm a huge Persona fan, and more moderate SMT fan. Definitely looking forward to Persona 5, more than any other game for a long time. I've avoided looking into details about it, to make sure I don't hit any spoilers, so I can't say much about those, but...

...wait up. What? :smalleek:

Please tell me they differ substantially from those in the first two Persona titles. Because that was perhaps the single worst part of those games, and a leading (though not sole) reason why I was unable to bring myself to play them all the way through, so that worries me.

By the sounds of it it's kind of like the post-battle Tarot Card Shuffle concept redone for more flavour. You can ask for money, items, or answer questions and receive a Persona from Shadows. This being enacted by either the player or the Shadow if its HP is low enough. Your social stats boost the effectiveness of negotiation, and there may be some synergistic effect from party members. If you really don't want to do it there's another mechanic to get Personas and you can just use it to farm additional items/money from Shadows with no questioning required.

That's how its been explained to me anyways.

Zevox
2017-03-08, 11:48 PM
By the sounds of it it's kind of like the post-battle Tarot Card Shuffle concept redone for more flavour. You can ask for money, items, or answer questions and receive a Persona from Shadows. This being enacted by either the player or the Shadow if its HP is low enough. Your social stats boost the effectiveness of negotiation, and there may be some synergistic effect from party members. If you really don't want to do it there's another mechanic to get Personas and you can just use it to farm additional items/money from Shadows with no questioning required.

That's how its been explained to me anyways.
Hm, well, if there's another way to get Personas, that is reassuring - though I hope you mean besides Fusion, since the main point of getting Personas from after-battle events was to use them as ingredients in Fusions anyway, and pulling old ones from your book is too expensive to use in place of that.

But yeah, the questioning is the worrying part. Trying to guess what sort of answers each demon liked was a total crapshoot in Persona 1 and 2, in my experience - it didn't even seem consistent when speaking to the same demon type at different times, so it wound up feeling like you were counting on good RNG to get it to work, which is not fun at all.

Kitten Champion
2017-03-09, 02:30 AM
Hm, well, if there's another way to get Personas, that is reassuring - though I hope you mean besides Fusion, since the main point of getting Personas from after-battle events was to use them as ingredients in Fusions anyway, and pulling old ones from your book is too expensive to use in place of that.

They called it the Guillotine. No idea how it works, I'm trying to come into it reasonably fresh myself.

But yeah, the questioning is the worrying part. Trying to guess what sort of answers each demon liked was a total crapshoot in Persona 1 and 2, in my experience - it didn't even seem consistent when speaking to the same demon type at different times, so it wound up feeling like you were counting on good RNG to get it to work, which is not fun at all.

It's supposedly quite streamlined. I believe it was mentioned that if you complete one negotiation you don't have to repeat your answers again, or something to that effect. I'll have to play it to determine that for myself but, well, the thrust of the discussion was that it contrasted well against the previous negotiation systems in response to someone sharing your concern.

Ogremindes
2017-03-09, 06:05 AM
Well, since I made the mistake of opening this thread up, I'll say that I am a MegaTen fan, and I have no opinions about game features as I have been consiously avoiding information about the game. I guess I'll have to take a bit more care here on out.

Hunter Noventa
2017-03-09, 06:00 PM
I pre-ordered the super fancy special edition, that ought to tell you something. I'm looking forward to it greatly.

Zevox
2017-03-09, 06:12 PM
It's supposedly quite streamlined. I believe it was mentioned that if you complete one negotiation you don't have to repeat your answers again, or something to that effect. I'll have to play it to determine that for myself but, well, the thrust of the discussion was that it contrasted well against the previous negotiation systems in response to someone sharing your concern.
Hm, okay, that is somewhat reassuring. But yeah, barring anyone who has a higher tolerance for reading potential spoilers than I do wanting to explain it in full, it's the kind of thing I'll need to wait and see to pass judgment on. I just hope it isn't too much of an issue - Persona had finally ditched what I felt was its one real annoying, problematic mechanic, the random skill inheritance on fused Personas, so I'd be very happy not to see another one introduced now.

divitorobert
2017-03-10, 12:00 PM
me to dude tbh I feel like gamingbolt is copying gameranx more and more

LughSpear
2017-03-13, 08:08 PM
Well, since I made the mistake of opening this thread up, I'll say that I am a MegaTen fan, and I have no opinions about game features as I have been consiously avoiding information about the game. I guess I'll have to take a bit more care here on out.

Sorry, didn't mean to spoil anything for you that's like a mortal sin for me D:

But we are only talking about mechanics is that considered a spoiler?

Ogremindes
2017-03-13, 09:14 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to spoil anything for you that's like a mortal sin for me D:

But we are only talking about mechanics is that considered a spoiler?

Not sure, I don't usually give two figs about spoilers. I figured I'd try to maintain the surprise for once since I knew I'd be preordering P5 before it was even announced.

Of course, naming that system does tell me quite a bit more than just the existence of that mechanic.

Alanzeign
2017-03-13, 10:40 PM
Myself, I am trying to avoid spoilers mostly to keep my hype low so I can enjoy it without expectations. That and I really enjoy going through media as it is presented without any foreknowledge when I can, especially plot-wise. That said, stepping into a thread about a game that had a release overseas months ago probably isn't a good idea if one is avoiding spoilers :smallwink:.

I hadn't heard about demon negotiating being a part of 5 yet but I think I'd be ok with that in most cases. I didn't play Persona 1 or 2 but I was fine with SMT: Nocturne negotiating. It sounds like it may be less frustrating than that system just by what's been said here too, so it will likely be something I can get behind.

I'm pretty excited for it overall. I need a new SMT/Persona game in my life and I am very hesitant about trying to play some of the older versions.

From the few short trailers I have seen, spoilered just in case:

From the few trailers I've seen it looks like you fight demons rather than shadows? Like compared with fighting Hablerie, Magus, and Hand type shadows in P3/P4, you fight actual demons like Pyro Jack and Onmoraki? I could be wrong on that but if it's true I'm all for it. I thought the demon designs in SMT 3/4 were always way more interesting than the shadow designs in P3/P4. Those games are the majority of my experience with Megaten though, other than DDS 1 and 2.

The Eye
2017-03-16, 08:30 PM
Myself, I am trying to avoid spoilers mostly to keep my hype low so I can enjoy it without expectations. That and I really enjoy going through media as it is presented without any foreknowledge when I can, especially plot-wise. That said, stepping into a thread about a game that had a release overseas months ago probably isn't a good idea if one is avoiding spoilers :smallwink:.

I hadn't heard about demon negotiating being a part of 5 yet but I think I'd be ok with that in most cases. I didn't play Persona 1 or 2 but I was fine with SMT: Nocturne negotiating. It sounds like it may be less frustrating than that system just by what's been said here too, so it will likely be something I can get behind.

I'm pretty excited for it overall. I need a new SMT/Persona game in my life and I am very hesitant about trying to play some of the older versions.

From the few short trailers I have seen, spoilered just in case:

From the few trailers I've seen it looks like you fight demons rather than shadows? Like compared with fighting Hablerie, Magus, and Hand type shadows in P3/P4, you fight actual demons like Pyro Jack and Onmoraki? I could be wrong on that but if it's true I'm all for it. I thought the demon designs in SMT 3/4 were always way more interesting than the shadow designs in P3/P4. Those games are the majority of my experience with Megaten though, other than DDS 1 and 2.

I believe the "demons" are corrupted personas that can be talked to and converted in normal personas for the protagonist. But you do face normal shadows like the hands and Magus.