PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Wish-based item/magic item/construct/etc. creation

Schattenbach
2017-03-08, 03:12 PM
So lets assume we have some epic spellcaster with ECL 30+ (this also works just fine for lower leveled spellcasters) who decided to do his crafting through the use of supernatural wish, because ... who wants to waste years just to craft some magic item.

For fairness and such, lets assume that the character has to - theoretically - be able to actually pay up those EXP he's spending on that wish to create what item he wants ... so that limits what kind of items he can create and he has trouble creating epic magic items (as the price jump and general EXP cost jump from between nonepic and epic is kind of hard, especially when this has to be doubled due to creating it with wish) so (depending on what kind of item it is) the caster has to either be ECL 31 to 34 or so (to pay the exp necessary to make/improve the item epic through wish ... which also means that whatever copies the caster makes of itself until EXL 62+ or so aren't that helpful for making items epic and improving them past a certain threshold) or the caster has to ímprove the item from hand to make it epic and then improve it further through wish.

If I didn't get the math wrong, ECL 30 characters can improve epic items through wish by enhancements and such (or on-command spells or continous spells, etc.) worth up to 250,000gp (or ~312,500gp for any item that isn't priced according to the standard epic pricing rule) ... i.e. 5,000 + 2*((30,000-5,000)/2-10,000) + 2*10000) ... or, to put in another way, improvements that use up up to 12,500 EXP on their own. Things get easier as the level improves even higher (ECL 40 should be improvments each worth up to 750,000gp for regular epic items (or 437,500gp for any item that isn't priced according to the standard epic pricing rule)... or rather ... use up at most 17,500 EXP on their own. Depending on how one interpretes the rules for improving magic items presented in the magic item compendium and such in regard to how epic items are concerned (i.e. ... if it is only necessary to pay up the difference ... or if each improvement still adds those fixed 10,000 exp costs, which would be quite stupid, but ...)

As far as I can tell, constructs (they're usually too expensive for what they can do, though) count as magic items as far as their creation/improvement process is concernes (and the general advancement rules for improving constructs should apply to any construct without specific advancement rules, ... I don't remember the specifics and would've to look them up, though ... was it something like 5,000? or so gp per additional HD and 50,000gp - or the cost of their body? I don't remember - or so gp for increasing their size by one category?) and any item created through (supernatural) wish shouldn't need any of the crafting requirments (i.e. skill checks, feats and other otherwise required stuff ... which might even include knowledge or at least vague understanding about how to craft the item in question), correct? Stronghold components (including portals) seem to be well within the range of what this method of crafting can do, too.

By improving items step-by-step (as long as the price difference between each improvement isn't too high), it seems quite easy to create very extreme items (they're going to make the WBL explode at some point, though, but lets ignore that to some degree for now).

So ... has someone some interesting ideas about how to make good use of this item creation option?

Thanks in advance.

Menzath
2017-03-08, 05:47 PM
You can do this by about lvl 17, as long as you can cast, greater consumptive field, and body outside body, with both persisted and extended, and with the feat exceptional artisan feat for scrolls, also craft a few talismans of transference from
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a

Boost your caster level to as high as you need with consumptive field. You may need reserves of strength to get a high enough CL to only recast an extended version of this instead of a persisted+extended.
Make clones and persist+extend(may have to go incanatrix for this)(though an artificer could work as well, with a little item prep) Your clones all wear a talisman, so more clones/talismans the better.
Make a scroll of wish using all of your clones xp.
Should take about 1day. Maybe two.
Use said scroll to make an on use ring of wish with a slightly less vested XP amount, but usable at will.
Use said buffed CL wish ring every turn to make whatever you want. Possibly even relics.

And yes supernatural wish works just as well, but has less daily utility. Getting epic cl for supernatural wish would work in the same manner I assume, but breaking XP cap is a little harder to manage since supernatural wish doesn't supercede the wish sub rules for making a magic item.