PDA

View Full Version : DnD 5e Gladiator Pit - Help!

Turtlesaurus
2017-03-08, 04:47 PM
So at school we have a DnD class every Wednesday for last hour. We started out with lots of people, but due to academic things (sports, grades, etc.) we have lost quite a few people. So, venturing off of our "normal" campaign, our dm/teacher decided to switch it up for a bit and threw our party in a gladiatorial arena with nothing but our clothes. This is where the setting comes into play. So all of our characters woke up in separate cells in the same hallway, guards all over. They took us out of the cells and threw us into the arena. It was a 100 ft x 100 ft circular arena, with all six of our party gear scattered in piles in different parts. Myself, being a warlock, decided to run to a friend's pile as we quickly took sides and formed alliances. From here, where do I go? Please help!

Haldir
2017-03-08, 05:04 PM
Get a feel for the temper of the other kids and propose everyone team up. If you get the feeling like you're going to be fighting each other, attempt to bargain with the pieces of equipment you do have.

BiPolar
2017-03-08, 05:04 PM
So at school we have a DnD class every Wednesday for last hour. We started out with lots of people, but due to academic things (sports, grades, etc.) we have lost quite a few people. So, venturing off of our "normal" campaign, our dm/teacher decided to switch it up for a bit and threw our party in a gladiatorial arena with nothing but our clothes. This is where the setting comes into play. So all of our characters woke up in separate cells in the same hallway, guards all over. They took us out of the cells and threw us into the arena. It was a 100 ft x 100 ft circular arena, with all six of our party gear scattered in piles in different parts. Myself, being a warlock, decided to run to a friend's pile as we quickly took sides and formed alliances. From here, where do I go? Please help!

Are you supposed to fight yourselves or is something coming? What's the story here? WHat level are you? Tell me of your homeworld, usul.

Turtlesaurus
2017-03-08, 06:26 PM
I am a level one warlock, bargaining with other people will not work. It is a fun side activity where the goal is to be the last one alive, and then you win gear, XP, and 200 gold pieces for the main campaign. So yes, you must kill the other players who are 3 clerics, a rogue, and a fighter.

BiPolar
2017-03-08, 06:31 PM
I am a level one warlock, bargaining with other people will not work. It is a fun side activity where the goal is to be the last one alive, and then you win gear, XP, and 200 gold pieces for the main campaign. So yes, you must kill the other players who are 3 clerics, a rogue, and a fighter.

Do you use rule the variant for flanking to gain advantage?

Stan
2017-03-08, 06:47 PM
Even light armor takes a minute (10 rounds) to get on, so probably don't bother. Shield is only an action but it would give you disadvantage to many things as you're not proficient . Try to stay out of the middle of the action, using dash if necessary. You might want to give up on equipment altogether to get to a better position. You probably have eldritch blast so can hit anyone within the arena. Do you have to gather spell components/focus from the equipment? If so, that it limit the casters, but eldritch blast is ok.

You have only 1 spell slot plus one patron ability so save those until the end or you're about to die. You can target whoever is winning in a paired off fight to keep it going - hoping the winner is almost dead by the end; if you have a fiend patron, instead finish off the weak to get the hp bonus.

MBControl
2017-03-08, 07:13 PM
Play the smarter game.

Run like the dickens, and let the others beat on each other. make yourself hard to hit, or at least annoying to hit. Don't forget your dodge action. Putting your opponent at a disadvantage on attacks.

The aim is to they will forget you, in favor of an easier target. That's when you stop and cheese them when they look beat up and about to die. Then get back on your "horse", and start running around again.

Honestly, as a lvl one caster, you probably don't stand a chance unless you are able to find an ally. Don't be afraid to play a political game in the fight. Openly throw people under the bus. Be the master mind. Just stay alive. If all goes to plan, you will end up being in a 1v1 situation with an ally. Hopefully they will have taken a bunch of damage, doing your dirty work, and you can mop up for the win.

Misterwhisper
2017-03-08, 08:14 PM
In this setting no non-caster has even a remote chance so just shoot the other casters first starting with a sorcerer or wizard then bard or cleric.

No martial class can win this at all because they would have to get to their gear, pick it up, and then get a chance to use it before they get cantriped to death.