PDA

View Full Version : Bard and What? Building a duo for an up coming game!

SMac8988
2017-03-08, 07:05 PM
A friend and I have decided that we want to build duo to join in a game mainly for our own personal fun. The character are based Le'fou (spelling?) From beauty and the beast, singing song about how great the other guy is, and Maui when he is first introduced, talking about how everything he has done is great.

I believe they will be starting low level, and assume that one will need tk be a bard, which my friend is excited about doing. I figure one of us should be a martial class of sorts, but can figure which benefits best and can basically live up to the legend these two are going to be weaving.

Thought maybe a paladin, but he seems to self centered to go paladin. Fighter could work, but seems lack luster for a legend.

So suggests? Help? Ideas for songs?

Specter
2017-03-08, 07:14 PM
Swashbuckler with Tough to endure the front line?

SMac8988
2017-03-08, 07:43 PM
Swashbuckler with Tough to endure the front line?

I could see that. I like rogues, and could be fun.

I figured a heavy front line fighter since he could be my support and caster. But swash does well up front right?

Misterwhisper
2017-03-08, 08:01 PM
A deepstalker, ranger with close quarters shooter fighting style.

Or if phb only.

Oddball for a Gaston type but you could spin it, an oath of the ancients paladin.

Herobizkit
2017-03-08, 08:05 PM
There's only two of you. You're both "up front". ^_^

There's really no wrong answer. You likely won't be facing a 'typical' D&D set-up.

Here's a crazy question - why not Bard? He goes Lore bard, you go Valor Bard!

Bonus points if you're allowed to roll Goliath, but Half-Orc also works very well.

Naanomi
2017-03-08, 08:10 PM
I'd go with something stealth capable, having two stealthy characters can get past a lot of problems on their own. Bard isn't a huge solo-damage dealer for when combat does break out, so a rogue of some kind wouldn't hurt; or a stealthy rogue multiclass of some kind (I'm a fan of Assassin 3/Barbarian 17 half orcs Great-Axeing people)

Astofel
2017-03-08, 08:17 PM
There's only two of you. You're both "up front". ^_^

There's really no wrong answer. You likely won't be facing a 'typical' D&D set-up.

Here's a crazy question - why not Bard? He goes Lore bard, you go Valor Bard!

Bonus points if you're allowed to roll Goliath, but Half-Orc also works very well.

I completely agree. I love bards, so as far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong by adding more. They're also an incredibly versatile class. You could take expertise in athletics and make a grappling build, and while I haven't seen Moana I think that could work well with Maui. Magical Secrets also opens up a lot of room for customization, you could have Maui take some druid spells that work well with his ocean stuff.

SMac8988
2017-03-08, 09:15 PM
I completely agree. I love bards, so as far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong by adding more. They're also an incredibly versatile class. You could take expertise in athletics and make a grappling build, and while I haven't seen Moana I think that could work well with Maui. Magical Secrets also opens up a lot of room for customization, you could have Maui take some druid spells that work well with his ocean stuff.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of bards. Like I see how amazing they are and could see how great they are but I've never been a big fan of playing them.

I was thinking battle master/barb possibly but could see the benefit of rogue barb.

Arelai
2017-03-08, 09:19 PM
And a Great Weapon Master Beserker Barbarian, w/ a Greataxe.

He just goes ape on everyone, while you buff him with spells, and keep him healed and inspired. This is a dream combi I've wanted to do for a while.

SMac8988
2017-03-09, 08:41 AM
And a Great Weapon Master Beserker Barbarian, w/ a Greataxe.

He just goes ape on everyone, while you buff him with spells, and keep him healed and inspired. This is a dream combi I've wanted to do for a while.

I like the idea, but I feel fenzy loses that I'm the best thing. If he goes into a frenzy he would be more instinct than valor and reputation seeking.

Maybe Barb of the storm or barb of ancients?

Arkhios
2017-03-09, 09:43 AM
After reading the title I immediately thought that Rogue would complement Bard really well. And in my opinion, it doesn't really matter which archetype it should be.

Arcane Trickster would bring in a few more spells for especially tricky situations, and given the limited spells known as a Bard you could try and cooperate with your spell selections.

Swashbuckler would indeed provide some extra melee prowess, and I agree on taking Tough asap.

Thief could be useful if your adventures focus on exploration rather than hack and slash (Fast Hands for Traps and Locks etc.)

Assassin might work well if you focus on stealthy approach - especially with combat)

Mastermind is especially great for intrigue and investigation type of games.

BiPolar
2017-03-09, 09:49 AM
The nice thing about combo with a rogue is that both of you can be super stealthy so there is no need to separate on stealth missions. And a swashbuckler or assassin is a great option for that melee damage on sneakattack.

Toofey
2017-03-09, 09:50 AM
I say Champion Fighter. Just be awesome.

Naanomi
2017-03-09, 09:54 AM
Isn't Maui a bladelok? He made a pact and got a special weapon...

Hudsonian
2017-03-09, 10:15 AM
Seems to me like he would make a great UA Storm Barbarian w/2 levels of druid dump INT and just enough WIS to multiclass.

Unless you roll god stats you aren't going to get an invincible demigod with the charm of dwayne the rock Johnson (or the physical stats either). So I'd go with focusing CON and DEX for real Tanky Tankness.

(although I guess in the movie he was kind of a glass cannon in the boss fight.) But he made good use of the Half-Orc rebound ability.

Edit: His hook is obviously a magical hook created by the cloud giants hunting for the kraken, seeing as they couldn't be bothered to pull the hook all the way up to rebait it, it has the ability to turn into an actual fish for short periods of time. Unlike the myth in 'Moana' Maui stole the hook and has absorbed it's shapechanging powers.

Naanomi
2017-03-09, 11:19 AM
The concept needs some Charisma (he was beloved by the people!); which if we want to actually use it limits is to some degree... Ancients Paladin, Strength based Barbarian/Swashbuckler, Purple Dragon Knight, Bladelok?