PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help with some folk song lyrics

dropbear8mybaby
2017-03-08, 08:15 PM
Last night's session had twenty frost giants charge the shoreline of a town in their massive ship. The group killed a few of the giants but during it, one of the players stayed on shore with a ballista crew and cheered everyone on. He succeeded, excessively, on several Charisma checks to promote himself as an inspiring leader of the battle and saviour of the people.

The fight was a route. The surviving giants had been so demoralised (by all the other player's actions, actually, like raining fireballs, shrinking ships, dropping molotov cocktails, drowning due to hypnotic pattern, etc.) by the failed attack that he easily convinced them to drop their weapons and leave by the time they got to the shore.

While convincing everyone, he also used his self-chosen moniker of "The Fox" to promote his brand.

I was thinking of making up a short ditty in the style of the Hero of Canton from Firefly but being very unmusical and sucking at poetry, I'm coming up blank. Need some inspiration or help in figuring out what the locals could say when singing his praises.

Coventry
2017-03-08, 11:52 PM
They came from the ice to ravage our lands
Those giants of white - a score of brigands
But one man stood up to mess with their plans
The Fox terrifies the frost giant clans

He stood with us all defending our docks
No quiver of fear was felt by The Fox
Those giants did throw some very large rocks
the closest that fell became his soapbox

His words were the guide to being our best
we all aimed our shots, his truth manifest
and acting as one at his mere request
we fired our bolts and killed a large pest

Their leader was dead they started to flee
we fired once more they ran to the sea
the giants sailed off we shouted with glee
The Fox had saved us from our misery!

dropbear8mybaby
2017-03-09, 07:02 AM
They came from the ice to ravage our lands
Those giants of white - a score of brigands
But one man stood up to mess with their plans
The Fox terrifies the frost giant clans

He stood with us all defending our docks
No quiver of fear was felt by The Fox
Those giants did throw some very large rocks
the closest that fell became his soapbox

His words were the guide to being our best
we all aimed our shots, his truth manifest
and acting as one at his mere request
we fired our bolts and killed a large pest

Their leader was dead they started to flee
we fired once more they ran to the sea
the giants sailed off we shouted with glee
The Fox had saved us from our misery!

I think I love you. I really wish I could give you something in return for this other than my thanks. This is seriously awesome, thank you!

Coventry
2017-03-09, 08:06 AM
The detail that I like: even in the song that praises him, The Fox doesn't do much of anything at all. He "stood up", he talked to the townsfolk, and he received all the credit.

The "pest" line bugs me, but I was trying to work with groups of fours lines of ten syllables, and "pest" rhymed. So claim it was written by a townsfolk with no composing skills. That's the truth, anyway :smallsmile:.

I think I love you. I really wish I could give you something in return for this other than my thanks. This is seriously awesome, thank you!

You're welcome. It was fun to compose.

weckar
2017-03-09, 08:35 AM
If you don't like the pest line, could you not replace the second half of that line with "ruptured its chest"? It would still match the meter and intent, and introduces and action-consequence to the line when mirrored to the firing of the bolts.

dropbear8mybaby
2017-03-09, 09:44 AM
He "stood up", he talked to the townsfolk, and he received all the credit.

Heh, that's mostly what happened :D