PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Support Spell: Tiene's Greasy Coat

Puh Laden
2017-03-08, 09:54 PM
This is my first homebrew spell, so I'm looking for some pointers for balancing the various parts of the spell (i.e. level, duration, number of targets, damage, the fact it's saveless).

The basic idea of the spell is to carry over the alternate effects of the grease spell from past editions while also adding the twist of it being used in conjunction with fire spells.

Tiene's Greasy Coat
1st-level conjuration

Spell lists: Wizard

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a bit of pork rind or butter)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You target one creature that you can see within range. The target becomes covered in slick grease until the spell ends. While covered in the grease, the creature gains advantage on ability checks made to escape or avoid being grappled. The creature also gains disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws made to avoid or reduce fire damage. If the creature is dealt fire damage, it takes an additional 2d10 fire damage and the effects of the spell then end for the creature.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature you can see for each slot level above 1st.

Potato_Priest
2017-03-09, 02:47 AM
This is in fact not only a support spell, but an acceptable offensive option against certain enemies.
I think it's probably fine. I'm a grappler at heart, so I don't like to see this sort of stuff getting used, but it's not too OP and will be a fine thing to give your players.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-09, 09:14 AM
I'm looking for some pointers for balancing the various parts of the spell (i.e. level, duration, number of targets, damage, the fact it's saveless).

Looks mostly fine. The fact that you have to hit the target with something else before anything bad happens means that it's okay without a saving throw.

a bit of pork rind or butter

Ew.

If the creature is dealt fire damage, it takes an additional 2d10 fire damage and the spell then ends.

My gut says this is a bit high; I'd probably have gone for 1d10 if I was writing this; but looking at it in depth, the numbers check out. You can do a flat 10 (over two rounds) by dousing someone with lamp oil... that's the same number of actions and an item instead of a spell slot. Probably fair.

Puh Laden
2017-03-09, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I wonder about the concentration aspect, on the one hand I'm saddened it's incompatible with flaming sphere (and it's a noticeable change from grease), but on the other hand without it you could replicate the effect of using this spell as a fourth level spell with two 2nd level spell slots, and the damage or something would probably need to be changed too.

JBPuffin
2017-03-09, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I wonder about the concentration aspect, on the one hand I'm saddened it's incompatible with flaming sphere (and it's a noticeable change from grease), but on the other hand without it you could replicate the effect of using this spell as a fourth level spell with two 2nd level spell slots, and the damage or something would probably need to be changed too.

If you take concentration out, you can take the damage down to 2d6. Also, I'd argue that spending 2 2nd-levels for a 4th-level effect is probably fine.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-09, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Honestly, I think concentration is warranted. I'd keep it. The effect discharges if the target is set on fire, which makes it kind of like a smite (all of which use concentration), and it's a 1-minute buff besides, which are almost always concentration to prevent wizards turning themselves into indestructible war-machines (and resistance to grappling is definitely a nice buff for wizards if there's no fire around).

freeWeemsy
2017-03-14, 05:40 PM
That fire damage is a bit brutal for a level 1 spell(and by extension level 1 and 2 characters), but I like the concept. I might even have it add 1 to armor class since weapons are more likely to slip off rather than land a solid blow. That might be a bit too powerful for a level 1 spell though.