View Full Version : OOTS #338 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-08-15, 05:41 PM
New comic is up.

Ashaman_Feeney
2006-08-15, 05:43 PM
Is your teenaged sister in fact a hottie?;D
gotta love V's reaction.
the only downside is that it might bring that discussion up again....

Cipher
2006-08-15, 05:43 PM
Haha, 'The Belkster has no time for fuglies,' he says. Comedic gold as usual...confirms exactly why I track this comic like I do.

...and hey, second post of the first page!

The Glyphstone
2006-08-15, 05:45 PM
Well worth the wait. Awesome...

"support for my theory continues to accrue at an alarming rate..." - :D :D :D

oh and - 3rd? 4th? post? on first page! Just because I have to. :D

Penny
2006-08-15, 05:45 PM
Hmm... I'm beginning to think that V's theory may in fact be correct.

ZombieRockStar
2006-08-15, 05:46 PM
Laugh, laugh, laugh.

"Support for my theory continues to accure at an alarming rate."

I'm dying over here. Well worth the wait.

Shapeless_Caren
2006-08-15, 05:47 PM
Really awsome comic Giant. I loved the evidence part.

Edit: Hey, for the first time I got a post on the first page. :)

killer_rabbit
2006-08-15, 05:48 PM
WOOT!! first page!

Fantastic comic, it seems the most ofour predictions came true in the end. Cool twist with the Julia/Belkster thing, didn't see that coming.
An overall great comic, worth waiting for.

fwiffo
2006-08-15, 05:49 PM
Ahhh... once again, Belkar is a voice of reason. What would they do without him? :)

chibibar
2006-08-15, 05:49 PM
woo hoo.... great stuff!!!!

oh man.. a thought just came to me....... belkar and Julia??
scary

Coldwin
2006-08-15, 05:51 PM
The Belkster LOL love it

Love and family, pfft.

Hot chick? Lets get going!

*EDIT* First page

Mr_Shrubber
2006-08-15, 05:54 PM
Keep the classy quotes coming at this rate, and you will see a rapid increase in the demand for new OotS quote T-shirts.

"The Belkster has no time for fuglies."

LMAO ;D

Edit: First page übernerdness!

Bremen
"Support for my theory continues to accrue at an alarming rate." -V

Man, things keep getting better and better. Wonder what will happen next? Thanks for another great OotS!

EDIT: w00t, first page!

steev42
Yay! A new comic. And one of the few times I've been unable to resist the urge to laugh out loud at work. Gotta love V's reaction.

Heloisa
2006-08-15, 05:55 PM
Hey my first time here!

Great one Giant!

I love you! ;D

And 2nd page? Not bad!

First page! W00T!!! :o

Hotspur
2006-08-15, 05:57 PM
Nice comic...

I also like that Elan is as willing to get the drink of water for Roy as call out for it.

Ikkitosen
2006-08-15, 05:57 PM
Awesome :)

soni
2006-08-15, 06:02 PM
yay! well worth the wait

welcome back, Giant

tmacdevitt
2006-08-15, 06:07 PM
Nice litle strip! Belkar is definetely showing us why he's still with the team!

Rayek
2006-08-15, 06:07 PM
"I do not wish to be the proverbial pooper of parties"

There are just too many great lines in this one.

Elftist
2006-08-15, 06:10 PM
I just realized that I enjoy the comic's dialogue as much or more than the plot. I'm probably coming to that realization a bit behind schedule, but whatever. I'm glad to know that I can enjoy the strips regardless of how much they advance the plot line.

Elftist
2006-08-15, 06:17 PM
Uh, I hope it's not bad form to post twice within a few minutes, but for my money, the "glass of water" line is the best. It took me until the second reading to notice the reference to two strips back. The Giant really does a great job at capturing, and commenting on, Nale's naivete.

fwiffo
2006-08-15, 06:25 PM
I am surprised Roy didn't even consider handing over Elan. I mean, he knows the team won't go along with it, but that would be a double bonus for him - get his sister back and get rid of his least favorite bard.

Winged One
2006-08-15, 06:27 PM
Belkar seeming to be the voice of reason definately confused me, until I saw his idea of tactics. ;D

humanpylon
2006-08-15, 06:27 PM
I'm waiting to see how long it will take before someone asks what fugly means, because as far as I know that's pretty much a north american term ;D

saraswati
2006-08-15, 06:28 PM
I like the fact that after so many bad experiences, failed missions, and wierd encounters Roy can still say something like "It'll take an hour, tops". LOL.

I think Roy's urge to save his sister is clouding his reason.

On the other hand, the Giant is proving wrong those posters who argued that an evil character cannot possibly work within a good group. As long as the objective includes hotties, smoking or otherwise, Belkar can be made to play nice (at least until his attention span is exceeded).

Just think of the hotties as the carrot and Roy's mental command word as the stick. See, no problem at all!!

edit: stop saying LOL, what the hell is wrong with you? I mean me.

Furin_Mirado
2006-08-15, 06:29 PM
Haha, oh that Belkar! That one made me laugh out loud. ;D

humanpylon
2006-08-15, 06:30 PM
I am surprised Roy didn't even consider handing over Elan. I mean, he knows the team won't go along with it, but that would be a double bonus for him - get his sister back and get rid of his least favorite bard.

I think Roy's come a long way since abandoning Elan to the bandits. Elan still aggravates him, but I think deep down he'd be sad to see him go. Otherwise he would have told him off after Elan asked for water, not waiting through multiple interruptions.

Randomnesh
2006-08-15, 06:31 PM
I laughed a mouthful of water out my nose after reading this. Barely missing the keyboard, too. Definatly one of my favorites in a while, and well worth the wait.

Furin_Mirado
2006-08-15, 06:31 PM

Well, he's smart enough to know what Nale would do to Elan if Roy complied, plus I think he has learned his lesson from the Bandit Scenario.

bosssmiley
2006-08-15, 06:34 PM
#1 tactical consideration. ;D

GJ Giant, I'm particularly looking forward to the next few episodes now.

orcmonk89
2006-08-15, 06:38 PM
Woot. Nice thing for me to see before I went to bed.

A new Comic.

Great, as always, although I was expecting more resistance from V. Belkar is, however, the star once more. Great lines.

Kaerou
2006-08-15, 06:38 PM
Now, i dont like Belkar.. i really dont like him but..

Thats hilarious.. i laughed out loud so hard... Awesome!

Dark
2006-08-15, 06:46 PM
For some reason the "smoking hottie" concept brought me a vivid image of Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction :)

It took me a while to realize I had the wrong kind of smoking.

androgial
2006-08-15, 06:50 PM
hehehe im now wondering where in the tactical discussion the words fighting the LG in a town and mark of justice come together

Dark_Warrior
2006-08-15, 06:52 PM
Very nice
good comic

Felinoid
2006-08-15, 06:54 PM
Ah, Belkar. You always make me laugh. :D But I've just noticed that Roy seems to be a good geiger-counter of hilarity. The best times seem to be when Roy is yelling at someone. ;D

eswan9
2006-08-15, 07:02 PM
Wow, awesome comic :D

Edit: page 3, not bad for a first post ;D

Deckmaster
2006-08-15, 07:02 PM
Great setup, great punchline.

I'm sure someone will remember Belkar's mark of justice...at the worst possible minute.

Also, page 3 woot!

I would have posted sooner but I didn't notice the update until just now.

charik
2006-08-15, 07:07 PM
Loved it. I think I called it pretty much right, although I missed Belkar's view of "tactics". :P

As for fighting the Guild inside a town, I have a [spoiler]suspicion that it's just an Arcane Mark and there is no curse to activate. The whole thing is a ruse to keep Belkar on good behavior. At least, that's my sneaking suspicion.

And more than an hour and I still make page 3? Get to work reading and posting, folks! We should be on page 6~8 by now! :D

Nobodey
2006-08-15, 07:16 PM
Great comic =)
Welcome back Giant. =)
So this comic made me curious if V's going to go out of her way to prove her theory to Belkar.
Oh, and yes, I believe V to be female, and I think some part of her liked the kiss. Maybe this won't be the end of romantic adventures. =) It'd be hilarious if they had a long love affair before V told Belkar that she is a he. Sure it would prove me wrong, but be hilarious. Not to mention Belkar deserves it. I really doubt thats where Rich is going with this though. Is it fanfic time yet?

Ted_Stryker
2006-08-15, 07:17 PM
Heh, no time for the fuglies. Poor fuglies, they need lovin', too.

Rambi
2006-08-15, 07:18 PM
Another great comic, V's theory seems to be gaining speed.

evileeyore
2006-08-15, 07:19 PM
Meh. Not really worth the wait.

Had some good lines, but there have certianly been far better strips.

Even "Up a level, down a level" rates way up there in comparison.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-08-15, 07:20 PM
I just wanna know why I enjoyed the term "fuglies" as much as I did.

I would blame a flaw in my character but that can't be it...

Either way, reading this at work was the wrong idea - LOL!

Wiggle
2006-08-15, 07:22 PM
I'm waiting to see how long it will take before someone asks what fugly means, because as far as I know that's pretty much a north american term ;D

Actually, I was thinking the same thing but from a different perspective. I was convinced that fugly was a uniquely Australian term, very obviously it isn't. Likewise, humanpylon, I think you'll find this is one bit of slang that's pretty universal.

If you happen to be familiar with the works of Kevin Bl**dy Wilson (a rather obnoxious Aussie performer), you may have heard of this song:-

Super-mega-fugly (http://www.ozmusic-central.com.au/oztabs/uvw/wilson_kevinbloody/super.txt)

A word of caution on opening that link for those easily offended by rude words - parental advisory

Also for those who do try the link and have probs with Aussie slang, then:-

"snags" = sausages
"the cuts" = the cane, corporal punishment at school
"root" = to copulate

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-08-15, 07:32 PM
Welcome back from GenCon, Rich. Hope all went well.

HILARIOUS comic!! More so than usual, I mean. ;)

Acey
2006-08-15, 07:37 PM
Anyone else notice the lines around Haley in panel 6? That blue colour is usually the one Giant uses when magic is occurring, right? I don't think it's a co-incidence that its the same panel that Elan is agreeing to help Roy rescue Julia...

5tephen
2006-08-15, 07:43 PM
Nice to be reading OOTS again. Things are a-happening....

(And can't WAIT to see the movies of Gencon!)

Aerysil1
2006-08-15, 07:44 PM
the fuglies?

lol

As for the lines around Haley's head, she was either tingly about Elan's courage or nodding in agreement.

Ted_Stryker
2006-08-15, 07:45 PM
Anyone else notice the lines around Haley in panel 6? That blue colour is usually the one Giant uses when magic is occurring, right? I don't think it's a co-incidence that its the same panel that Elan is agreeing to help Roy rescue Julia...
My guess would be that Haley is just nodding "yes" as opposed to magic doings a-happenin'.

ref
2006-08-15, 08:00 PM
Point 1: Welcome back from GenCon.

Point 2: This comic is funny :)

Point 3: "It'll take an hour, tops" -- famous last words.

Point 4: There is no point 4.

Point 5: OK, I'll bite... what's a fugly? My guess is it's a contraction of F + ugly. Correct?

MonkWren
2006-08-15, 08:07 PM
Point 5: OK, I'll bite... what's a fugly? My guess is it's a contraction of F + ugly. Correct?
It involves a four-letter word beginning with F and, yes, the word ugly.

Great comic, Rich!

Ironers
2006-08-15, 08:11 PM
That, was just too damn funny.

Fuglies....

Marcyss
2006-08-15, 08:22 PM
Just... one comment.

fuglies. ;D

heheehee

Varian7
2006-08-15, 08:24 PM
LOL! V as pooper of parties, and Belkar as the voice of reason! And support for V's theory does continue to pile up at an alarming rate.

hrpatton
2006-08-15, 08:26 PM
Heh. I read this strip as evidence *against* V's theory. No one with a primitive psuedo-brain could use Craft Disturbing Mental Image with such deft cruelty.

I mean, Belkar ... and your sister?

Ewwwwwww.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-15, 08:28 PM
Roy told Elan that he needed to trade him for Julia.

Erm, pardon my Chat talk but...

Wtf? Elan's even agreeing to it.

Seffbasilisk
2006-08-15, 08:30 PM
w00t! True Belkar!

Gunndragon
2006-08-15, 08:30 PM
how trivial is Belkar?! I think I really know someone like him .. mmuuahahaha

Kish
2006-08-15, 08:35 PM
EDIT: EDIT: Hey, in the comic the spelt accure, accrue. lol
???

"Accrue" is a word, and a word which makes perfect logical sense in the context Vaarsuvius has it. If "accure" is a word at all, I'm not familiar with it.

Roy told Elan that he needed to trade him for Julia.

Erm, pardon my Chat talk but...

Wtf? Elan's even agreeing to it.
??? again. Roy stated clearly that his plan is to kick Nale's ass and rescue his sister.

Morchaint
2006-08-15, 08:36 PM
new comic is great.
blue lines hmm. didnt even see them until they were mentioned in this thread.
fugly. Bwah hahahahah.
hotties, smoking or otherwise double Bwah hahahah
one hour tops. oh the potential for disaster in three words.
:D

Varsuvvius about the theory.. lol

Noneoyabizzness
2006-08-15, 08:39 PM
well played, you knave... well played indeed...

Krytha
2006-08-15, 08:53 PM
heh... no time for fuglies? I wonder what Belkar actually looks like in non-stick figure format.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-08-15, 09:29 PM
heh... no time for fuglies? I wonder what Belkar actually looks like in non-stick figure format.

Probably a fugly. ;D

EmeraldFire
2006-08-15, 09:56 PM
hehe nice comic, most important piece of information... Is your sister a hottie? lol

blackfox
2006-08-15, 10:10 PM
Vaarsuvius never fails to make me laugh. ;)

Bilbo27
2006-08-15, 10:12 PM
belkar don't have time for the fuglies---LOL ROFL

oh my, can't stop ROFL

whew, love the new layout G.

smellie_hippie
2006-08-15, 10:24 PM
FUGLIES!!

I almost peed myself. Yay, continued support for the "Theory"... I'm not sure about Nale being a planner though. I seem to recall a PILE of scrolls at his feet oh, about... um, ONE STRIP AGO!!!

;D

InaVegt
2006-08-15, 10:36 PM
Hilarious, really hilarious

Tobimaro
2006-08-15, 10:36 PM
First, hope you had a good time at GenCon. I really wanted to see the master at his craft, but the budget ruled this time. Maybe next year...

Anyways, nice comic.

"She's no match for a killer like Nale." "It should take, like, an hour, tops." Famous last words, Roy.

"Is your teenaged sister, in fact, a hottie? Smoking or otherwise?" That might get Belkar some time with the Mark. :D Yeah, Belkar is the voice of reason here. :P

Blaznak
2006-08-15, 10:48 PM
I think the OOTS is really maturing over the years. I bought the newest book at GenCon (Creature in the Darkness was my choice for cartoon drawing at the beginning... Thanks!) and used this as an opportunity to go back and re-read EVERYTHING else. I finished the first book (well second) and am half-way through the second (well first).

I had forgotten so much of the background of the party and characterizations! I think the lastest episodes, more than most that I recently remember, really capture the "essence" of these characters.

This one was ESPECIALLY funny and well written. I thought it really built on Belkar's womanizing days ("this day couldn't get any better" and then walking by the "Whores 2 for 1 special" sign...) for example, and Ray (er Roy)'s desire to be a leader in a party.

Well, that's enough for now...

Arkadian
2006-08-15, 10:54 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!! "Belkster hasn't time for fuglies!" HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAA ;D

Edna
2006-08-15, 11:27 PM

It looks to me like she sees something above or behind V? Conveniently enough, she doesn't appear in any of the later panels.

Edna

B-Man
2006-08-15, 11:37 PM
i was distracted by the silly games forum that i didnt even realize that there was an undate... :'(

;D V's reaction is awesome!

Kish
2006-08-15, 11:38 PM
She's nodding her head in agreement with Elan's saying "we'll help."

Heloisa
2006-08-15, 11:52 PM
She's nodding her head in agreement with Elan's saying "we'll help."

I agree with Kish.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-08-16, 12:18 AM
Fugly? Eh.

Julia's still a bit young, though. Ah, well. It's an action story. Everyone's good looking.

charik
2006-08-16, 12:40 AM
I agree with Kish.
In spite of our differences elsewhere, I'm supporting Kish, too. If you look closely, there's a second set of blue lines under her chin, too. Given the context, it's almost certain that these lines indicate a nodding of the head to signify agreement.

humanpylon
2006-08-16, 12:40 AM
Actually, I was thinking the same thing but from a different perspective. I was convinced that fugly was a uniquely Australian term, very obviously it isn't. Likewise, humanpylon, I think you'll find this is one bit of slang that's pretty universal.

If you happen to be familiar with the works of Kevin Bl**dy Wilson (a rather obnoxious Aussie performer), you may have heard of this song:-

Super-mega-fugly (http://www.ozmusic-central.com.au/oztabs/uvw/wilson_kevinbloody/super.txt)

A word of caution on opening that link for those easily offended by rude words - parental advisory

Also for those who do try the link and have probs with Aussie slang, then:-

"snags" = sausages
"the cuts" = the cane, corporal punishment at school
"root" = to copulate

Kevin Bloody Wilson...now there's a name I haven't heard for a long time. As I recall I really enjoyed his song about where to stick phones and his xmas song. Can't be more specific than that in a pg-13 forum!

infiniteviking
2006-08-16, 12:41 AM
*insert the usual cheering for V* That last line just kills. Are we going to see it on a t-shirt?

Great character moments as usual: with their leader's family in trouble, Haley and Elan sign in at once, V agrees once assured that the universe isn't going to be destroyed in the meantime, and Belkar only adds to the poor fellow's worries. ::) (I assume Durkon will offer his two pence in the next comic?) And there should really be some sort of award for Roy's characterization. He completely ignores his father's scorn and his sister's unremitting hostility, even though he's obviously sensitive enough for to be hurt by them; he bends all his efforts on helping them achieve whatever goals they happen to have, and clearly loves them very deeply. Julia seems like a cool character on the surface, but she's got to be a real jerk not to appreciate her tremendous good fortune in having a brother like Roy.

Speaking of which: "She might be studying wizardry, but she's only sixteen"? Yes, and didn't she LOOK sweet and helpless last time we saw her?? Slight blind spot there, Roy. Given Julia's known character, I can't help thinking Roy's in for a really disconcerting surprise......

Hmm... and might one take Belkar's final outburst as a strong indication that Vaarsuvius is, in fact, a devastatingly attractive individual?

Questions, questions, questions!! Great work, Giant! On with the motley!

Solmage
2006-08-16, 12:46 AM
Heh, and I thought it would be Elan and not Belkar... :)

PS Nice!

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-08-16, 01:21 AM
Heh, and I thought it would be Elan and not Belkar... :)

PS Nice!

That would only be if Julia was evil :p Although since she said Nale'd be cute less the goatee, maybe fur'yy fgneg pbzcrgvat jvgu Unyrl, naq GUNG jvyy yrnq gb ure trggvat ure ibvpr onpx. (http://www.rot13.com)

Draz74
2006-08-16, 01:55 AM
You know, in spite of the final punch line being a (well-deserved) insult to Belkar's mental capacities, I actually think we're seeing some character development for him in this strip.

I'm not talking about the fact that he is acting as "the voice of reason." He has a decent Intelligence (just horrible Wisdom and Charisma), and with proper motivation (is she hot?) he can be a cunning strategist.

No, I'm talking about the beginning of what he says:
"I mean, I know I'm not usually the voice of reason around here ..." Umm, is that a bit of common sense and humility showing through? Seems like it to me!

Maybe I'm grasping at straws. But as an aspiring author, I'm quite eager to see, when the storyline of OOTS is all done and told, if Belkar is really just going to be an impressive piece of comic relief, or if he has some three-dimensional potential and changability in him like the other main characters in the strip. If he does end up changing significantly, we'll look back and see a lot of small changes that we didn't notice before, and I think this strip will be one of them.

Sc00by
2006-08-16, 02:38 AM
Isn't 'fugly' Fat and Ugly? Rather than f..king Ugly?

I'm sure it is... ;)

I liked this strip, shame we waited 9 days for it to show up ::)

Some great lines, all of which have been quoted many times already. Just one point of note; we still don't know the final 2 members of the Linear Guild and Nale seems to think they are quite impressive. I can't get a handle on the way the Giants mind works*, but someone that can can possible work out what they are going to be dealing with as anti-Durkon and anti-Belkar.

*whenever I think I know what's going to happen next (unless it's pretty obvious) the Giant seems to be able to surprise me, which is one of the many reasons I kee coming back!)

Wiggle
2006-08-16, 02:54 AM
Isn't 'fugly' Fat and Ugly? Rather than f..king Ugly?

I'm sure it is... ;)

I liked this strip, shame we waited 9 days for it to show up ::)

Some great lines, all of which have been quoted many times already. Just one point of note; we still don't know the final 2 members of the Linear Guild and Nale seems to think they are quite impressive. I can't get a handle on the way the Giants mind works*, but someone that can can possible work out what they are going to be dealing with as anti-Durkon and anti-Belkar.

*whenever I think I know what's going to happen next (unless it's pretty obvious) the Giant seems to be able to surprise me, which is one of the many reasons I kee coming back!)

The Aussie interpretation has always been effing ugly to me.

lunar
2006-08-16, 03:09 AM
w00t, sixth page!

battleburn
2006-08-16, 03:28 AM
I thought when Belkar mentioned being the voice of reason, that he would tell about:

his limited capabillities to do damage in a town, like Cliffport for example

Eldhrin
2006-08-16, 03:35 AM
I love Haley's changed of expression when Elan figures that it's their fault that Julia's in trouble and thus they should help. She clearly approves of that sentiment. So sweet.

Also, Belkar is side-splittingly funny.

Sir_Norbert
2006-08-16, 03:39 AM
Fugly? Eh.

Julia's still a bit young, though. Ah, well. It's an action story. Everyone's good looking.
???

Sixteen certainly isn't too young to be good-looking or not (as the case may be). I hope I'm not going to get flamed for saying this, because you can think someone's good-looking without wanting to act on it.

Anyway...... meh. I'm afraid I didn't find this one that funny; maybe just because I'd been anticipating it for so long. And maybe because most of it was recapping what people had guessed was going to happen. Good to see the plot moving though! Bring on the Linear Guild reunion!

roguemomof7
2006-08-16, 03:41 AM
Great comic as usual LOL! Belkar, the voice of reason, evidence accruing for V, and Roy rushing to the rescue of his rotten little sister. I agree with previous posts that Roy has really no idea of Julia's capabilities (I'm inclined to think she's more than a match for Nale alone, but then there's the skank and Thog and more to consider -- she is a wee bit outnumbered). And Roy's LG -- of course he'll drop everything to rescue his sister no matter how ungrateful the little snip is about it.

Can't wait for the next one! And I've given up guessing what will come next -- I'm wrong every time. Kudos to Rich for being cleverer and funnier than me (by a looooooong shot!). ;D

phobiandarkmoon
2006-08-16, 03:45 AM
"Support for my theory continues to accrue at an alarming rate"

Fantastic :)

Felinoid
2006-08-16, 04:14 AM
The Aussie interpretation has always been effing ugly to me.

Same for the American version (at least the Midwest). After all, Moe Sizlack is fugly (pug fugly, even! ;D ), but he's far from fat.

The Glitter Ninja
2006-08-16, 04:15 AM
Very nice. V's theory is my husband's favorite thing to mention lately... he keeps telling me his co-worker has a "proto-brain". Now I know what he meant when he told me earlier tonight that "evidence that my co-worker only has a proto-brain keeps accruing at an alarming rate". Heh.

Belkar almost saved the day for a second there, didn't he? Scary thought.

General Leitmann
2006-08-16, 04:32 AM
Belkar almost saved the day for a second there, didn't he? Scary thought.

Best not to dwell on it.

This was a good comic. I mean, I actually thought Belkar was going to 'become the voice of reason', and of course, he wasn't. Loved it.

Baldknight
2006-08-16, 06:45 AM
;D Fantastic.

Just when I thought the world had turned upside down and Belkar had developed a tactical mind everything goes back to normal in the second to last panel.

Delgarde
2006-08-16, 06:47 AM
I'm not sure about Nale being a planner though. I seem to recall a PILE of scrolls at his feet oh, about... um, ONE STRIP AGO!!!

;D

Oh, he's a planner, no question. But he's a planner from the Wile E Coyote school, as evidenced by comic #255. And all the planning in the world won't help someone like that.

Adeptus
2006-08-16, 07:52 AM
Excellent! "The Belkster has no time..." indeed.

Kanashimi
2006-08-16, 07:54 AM
wow, yah, I think V's theory is definately getting more and more corroborating evidence. Here we see the proto-brain attempting classification of this newly introduces being, known as Julia. To determine whether she falls into the "hate" or "lust" category, potential desirability myst first be ascertained.

Certainly classification as a "hottie", smokin' or otherwise, will thrust her into the lust category (pun intended) and therefore deem her worthy of rescue, so that he might. . . well, . . . Belkarize her.

He does have a Rod of Lordly Might!

The Demented One
2006-08-16, 08:15 AM
I rarely, if ever, laugh out loud, even at OOTS. And thus, I can say that, in all honesty,
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1729/lolsl1.jpg

carabaldo
2006-08-16, 08:27 AM
And here I come, from Italy,... asking:
What does a smoking hottie is?
I mean, I know what a hottie is
but I'm failing to understand the smoke
Thanks to those who explained the fugly thing.

The Demented One
2006-08-16, 08:31 AM
And here I come, from Italy,... asking:
What does a smoking hottie is?
I mean, I know what a hottie is
but I'm failing to understand the smoke
Thanks to those who explained the fugly thing.

"Smoking" is just meant to accentuate the "hottie" part. Weird american slang, but basically hot-->fire-->smoke.

M._A._Foxfire
2006-08-16, 08:50 AM
Roy's going to give himself an ulcer one of these days.

(Yay, seventh/eighth page!)

Khaim
2006-08-16, 09:05 AM
I'm surprised no one has pointed out the teleport line yet. For that matter, I'm surprised none of the characters have figured out the teleport bit.

I mean, if Shojo's wizards are availible to teleport them, why are they traveling through the wilderness?

The Glyphstone
2006-08-16, 09:07 AM
Because teleports send them to places, a teleport can't retrieve them from someplace. Word of Recall can do that, but that's a much higher level spell...there's some other spell that works too.

Shotaro
2006-08-16, 09:39 AM
sheer genius

one of the funniest comics in a while, and possibly the best belkar lines ever. Its good to know that even Belkar can say something that catches you completely off guard twice in one strip

100% totally worth the wait

BrockGarthok
2006-08-16, 11:44 AM
When my sister was kidnapped in the game that I play in and the "Adventurer" in the party had the same question as Belkar and a very similar statement (although I do not remember the use of the term "fugly"), I don't remember finding it funny at all.

Imagine that.

Arachnophile
2006-08-16, 11:53 AM
Yay!!! Side quests rule!!!

Felinoid
2006-08-16, 02:17 PM
Because teleports send them to places, a teleport can't retrieve them from someplace. Word of Recall can do that, but that's a much higher level spell...there's some other spell that works too.

True, but that still leaves some holes in the logic. Why not Teleport to the Sunken Valley, then? And why does Roy say, "We pop in, kick his [Nale's] ass, rescue Julia, and pop out." Using the same terminology at least implies the same method of movement, and saying it'll only take an hour clinches it. He's clearly not intending to walk back.

However, I get the feeling that the Sunken Valley is simply warded against teleportation. If you're going to go to the trouble of hiring Questguard to keep pesky adventurers away, I'd imagine such an easy method of getting there would rub you the wrong way too. Not to mention that Teleport (at least in 2e) is a heck of a lot more reliable if you've been to the place and can actually remember it. Even Teleport Without Error requires some degree of familiarity.

ariel23
2006-08-16, 03:07 PM
"We pop in, kick his ass, rescue Julia, and pop out. It should take like an hour, tops."
This is probably a reference to the movie Stripes.
Listen here (http://www.dailywav.com/0503/itswisconsin.wav)

If not, it certainly spawned from the collective unconscious zeitgeist from which all such things spawn.

Shea Landford
2006-08-16, 03:39 PM
Totally worth the long wait. I was starting to get agitated at my lack of new oots.

battleburn
2006-08-16, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised no one has pointed out the teleport line yet. For that matter, I'm surprised none of the characters have figured out the teleport bit.

I mean, if Shojo's wizards are availible to teleport them, why are they traveling through the wilderness?

Teleports can send you to known places. Roy knows Cliffport so that is possible. Returning shouldn't be hard as well. As for the sunken valley, everybody keeps forgetting, so noone can teleport there.
(Besides, speed of plot, remember?)

Ronald_saveloy
2006-08-16, 04:32 PM
"We pop in, kick his ass, rescue Julia, and pop out. It should take like an hour, tops."
This is probably a reference to the movie Stripes.
Listen here (http://www.dailywav.com/0503/itswisconsin.wav)

The link doesn't work. But it's probably this quote you're talking about:

John Winger: C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like we're going into *Wisconsin*.
Russell Ziskey: Well I got the **** kicked out of me in Wisconsin once. Forget it!

And here's the link to the quote

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083131/quotes

charik
2006-08-16, 07:39 PM
Teleports can send you to known places. Roy knows Cliffport so that is possible. Returning shouldn't be hard as well. As for the sunken valley, everybody keeps forgetting, so noone can teleport there.
(Besides, speed of plot, remember?)
Also, Sunken Valley is only a day or two travel from Azure City. No point wasting a favor from Lord Shojo on a teleport for that.

As for the pop in, kick butt, and pop out, they could get a scroll and have V use that.

mikeyq6
2006-08-16, 07:54 PM
As for the pop in, kick butt, and pop out, they could get a scroll and have V use that.

But they would have to purchase a "Teleport, Greater" spell (7th level) for that, unless V is familiar with Cliffport. And considering that they lost much of their gold when the inn burnt down, maybe they can't afford it.

gregory_carslaw
2006-08-16, 08:40 PM
If the Azure city and Cliffport are both major cities I'd imagine there's a wizard in each city who has had cause to visit the other and since teleport doesn't have an XP cost they'd probably be willing to teleport the group for a reasonable payment. I reckon Sojo would quite happily provide heaps of gold if he felt it would get the world saved quicker.

Either that or Sojo could just send an NPC wizard with them who'll sit in a tavern till they're done. (I don't think that'd happen in a comic, cause it's all a bit unecassary, but if I were PnPing this scenario I'd certinally ask for it)

I can't remember if this has already been pointed out or not - but there's no need to ward the sunken valley against teleports since the only guy who can remember it well enough to perform such a spell is already there.

ncriker
2006-08-17, 01:18 AM
excellent comic... and not a moment too soon, LOL.

KayJay
2006-08-17, 04:30 AM
"Yes, Belkar... My sister... is... a... Nggh... hottie."
Say it Roy, say it!

;D

battleburn
2006-08-17, 05:20 AM
He doesn't need to, Belkar will tag along, because if he doesn't the curse will start. It's convincing the others Roy has to worry about.
Elan, Haley and V have already agreed, only Durkon is yet to be convinced.
The debate on this strip should be, what will Durkon say??

I think he will agree to help rescue her. After all family is very important to dwarfs.

Calamity
2006-08-17, 07:31 AM
Durkon sees it as his duty to help Roy, always has, so I can't imagine not agreeing to help, as duty is one of the most important thing to Durkon

Rutigris
2006-08-17, 09:23 AM
Belkar! Belkar! Belkar!

I feel I can really relate to Belkar's prioritizing in this instance.. ;D

GypsyThorn
2006-08-17, 09:52 AM
Ahhh... once again, Belkar is a voice of reason. What would they do without him? :)

A heck of a lot better, I think.

Seriously, though, I know your statement was at least in part whimsical, and I know Belkar contributes a slice of humor that would be missing without him.

BUT.... The only reason Belkar is a member of the party is that Roy, as leader of the party, feels beholden to and responsible for each member of the party. And the excess of this admirable quality is Roy's tragic flaw.

If the character can grow, he eventually needs to realize that as leader he is not only responsible for each member of the party, but responsible for the party itself as well. And sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Especially if that one is Belkar.

larnman2
2006-08-17, 10:37 AM
he's also pretty strong

The Doctor
2006-08-17, 12:22 PM
V-man and the Belkster definitely rule the comic (and Elan, ofcourse... my hero!).
However, I can't help thinking... would they be as funny and amazing if there wasn't a Roy to compare them to?
Dependable, responsible, quite frankly quite boring, good ol' Roy.
I think without him as a contrast, the antics of Vaarsuvius and Belkar would possible not work so well.

SteveMB
2006-08-17, 12:46 PM
BUT.... The only reason Belkar is a member of the party is that Roy, as leader of the party, feels beholden to and responsible for each member of the party. And the excess of this admirable quality is Roy's tragic flaw.

If the character can grow, he eventually needs to realize that as leader he is not only responsible for each member of the party, but responsible for the party itself as well. And sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Especially if that one is Belkar.
Part of it may be overcompensation for the incident where Roy abandoned Elan to the bandits.

Ronald_saveloy
2006-08-17, 01:54 PM
Don't forget that Belkar is a hell of a fighter! He singlehandedly defeated a hydra and has proved is value in other battles too.

saraswati
2006-08-17, 03:07 PM
Durkon sees it as his duty to help Roy, always has, so I can't imagine not agreeing to help, as duty is one of the most important thing to Durkon

I defintiely agree with Calamity here. Although you could make an argument that Durkon has a higher duty to save the world, ordered by Shojo and all that.

Thus a conflict for Durkon having to decide which duty takes priority. Watching Durkon trying to parse that out would be both hilarious and sad at the same time.

<rubs hands evilly>

Poor guy!

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-08-17, 06:32 PM
A heck of a lot better, I think.

Seriously, though, I know your statement was at least in part whimsical, and I know Belkar contributes a slice of humor that would be missing without him.

Umm... This isn't Greek tragedy. This is a webcomic. Belkar's the obligitory bloodletter. Besides, if they don't have Belkar, who's going to have the guts to kill Miko?

battleburn
2006-08-17, 07:03 PM
I defintiely agree with Calamity here. Although you could make an argument that Durkon has a higher duty to save the world, ordered by Shojo and all that.

Thus a conflict for Durkon having to decide which duty takes priority. Watching Durkon trying to parse that out would be both hilarious and sad at the same time.

<rubs hands evilly>

Poor guy!

Durkon has forsaken the order of the stick before. Because Thor wanted them to go to Azure city. There only more evidence pointed in that direction, because the gods have given them the task to stop the destruction of the universe.
This time Durkon knows what is at stake and he is even more convinced then before that the gods want him/them to do this. Which is exactly why I think Durkon should be against the whole rescue plan.
Durkon didn't say anything in the last strip because that would ruin the joke. But he will come back with a vengeance next comic refusing to participate.

-battleburn

saraswati
2006-08-17, 07:10 PM
Durkon has forsaken the order of the stick before. Because Thor wanted them to go to Azure city.

But he will come back with a vengeance next comic refusing to participate.

-battleburn

Hmm, your point about the whole going with Miko to Azure city thing is well taken. It does make it more likely that he might feel the need to go against the group.

Although you could also say that story-wise, the Giant might also decide that we have seen that story played out already, and he doesn't want to get repetitive. So he might decide to just have Durkon be convinced by Roy's argument that it will "take an hour, tops", and that going to rescue Julia is not a serious impediment to the whole saving the world duty.

I mean, it's the linear guild, how hard can it be? (the snarky sarcastic voice).

You can spin it a lot of ways.\

battleburn
2006-08-17, 07:21 PM
"take an hour, tops", and that going to rescue Julia is not a serious impediment to the whole saving the world duty.

I mean, it's the linear guild, how hard can it be? (the snarky sarcastic voice).

Hm,
"Take an hour, tops"
was already on my list of famous last words, but:
"rescue Julia is not a serious impediment to the whole saving the world duty."
and
"it's the linear guild, how hard can it be?"
they belong there to.

But seriously, I guess you're right, it could spin either way. But if Durkon is following character, he should at least say something in favor of not rescueing Julia, before he agrees to tag along.

Giant, if you're reading this, don't mind what I'm saying, do your stuff, this is just for the discussion

Faramir
2006-08-17, 07:39 PM
Also, Sunken Valley is only a day or two travel from Azure City. No point wasting a favor from Lord Shojo on a teleport for that.

And don't forget they had horses (and dog) when they set out so it was going to take even less time.

Steward
2006-08-17, 10:49 PM
Umm... This isn't Greek tragedy. This is a webcomic. Belkar's the obligitory bloodletter. Besides, if they don't have Belkar, who's going to have the guts to kill Miko?

That's what they said to Aeschylus and Sophocles.

"Dude, this is just something you're doing so we can get enough drachmas to go to Beer Nite Tonite extravaganza, right? RIGHT!?"

And as to who's going to have the guts to kill Miko: How about Roy, Haley, or Vaarsuvius? I'm really surprised that everyone forgets that Belkar is not the only character who can kill. He's just the only one who relishes.

charik
2006-08-17, 11:23 PM
But they would have to purchase a "Teleport, Greater" spell (7th level) for that, unless V is familiar with Cliffport. And considering that they lost much of their gold when the inn burnt down, maybe they can't afford it.
And why would V need to be familiar with Cliffport in order to teleport from there to Azure City?

Evik
2006-08-18, 04:05 AM
HA HA HA Belkar said fuglies LOL
awesome

Antina
2006-08-18, 12:33 PM
About this BLUE LINES discussion...

They are no magic at all. They´re just a nice way of showing that haley noddes in agreement...

baltor85
2006-08-18, 12:44 PM
"The Belkster has no time for fuglies" One of the Belkster's best quotes ever. Gotta love V's reaction, too. But, just wondering, wouldn't Belkar have to wear like stilts to even be seen by Julia? That always strikes me as odd...

Finwe
2006-08-18, 02:07 PM
Naw, he's at the PERFECT height ;).

Frem
2006-08-18, 02:28 PM
Hey, I just noticed that the URL for most recent strip is no longer then happy, easy to remember number. Instead it's like:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/J8H9YXfp8E16FMlhQ1u.html

Why the random character sequence?

Eva_of_Sirrion
2006-08-18, 03:32 PM
Great stuff. Only thing that would've made it better is if Roy showed a little more emotion in the last panel, as he did in the 2nd row, right panel here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0043.html) :)

SpawnofDrake
2006-08-18, 06:34 PM
Hey, I just noticed that the URL for most recent strip is no longer then happy, easy to remember number. Instead it's like:

Because, rich was so tired, when he submitted the number, he fell asleep and his head hit the keyboard. He got up and hit more keys, then accidentally hit enter.

baltor85
2006-08-20, 12:51 PM
Because, rich was so tired, when he submitted the number, he fell asleep and his head hit the keyboard. He got up and hit more keys, then accidentally hit enter.

I did that once when I was typing a report for my school :D

DwaggieBard
2006-08-20, 06:10 PM

All the links to old strips are broken too.

nagora
2006-08-20, 06:12 PM

Perhaps because under the old system a simple Bash script like this:

for i in `seq -w 1 338` ;do wget http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/oots0$i.gif; sleep 1; done

would download every strip. Now you have to write a Perl program to download the pages and parse out the nav link and then fetch the image using the information in that?

Just a guess.

I've noticed that the new system has broken links to individual strips in old postings (which used ootscript in the URLs). That needs looked at too.

ncriker
2006-08-20, 07:08 PM
so, if that is true, why do it this way instead? i am just curious if there is actually some advantage to this new method.