PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Acrobat?

SangoProduction
2017-03-09, 02:27 AM
I was wondering if there was a class that had the inherent fluff of a magical acrobat. I could swear I found one before.... I just can't think of it... No particular reason. My mind just can't stop thinking about it.

Dagroth
2017-03-09, 02:37 AM
I was wondering if there was a class that had the inherent fluff of a magical acrobat. I could swear I found one before.... I just can't think of it... No particular reason. My mind just can't stop thinking about it.

It's not Arcane, but you can do a lot with the Psychic Rogue.

Psyren
2017-03-09, 02:40 AM
Any reason Bard wouldn't work?

weckar
2017-03-09, 03:48 AM
Speaking of... Is there a Perform skill that really captures Acrobatics? :smallconfused: I don't think one even canonically exists for juggling... I know Sleight of Hand can be USED as a perform skill, but...

Pleh
2017-03-09, 08:11 AM
You can always create a Perform Acrobatics skill and get it dm approved.

Or there's always Tumble.

I think the answer most arcane users have to acrobatics is: teleport or short of that, freedom of movement.

ShurikVch
2017-03-09, 08:28 AM
Flux Adept (Dragon Compendium) Grace Through Will (Ex): The character adds half her flux adept level to all Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, and Tumble skill checks.

Magical Trickster (Complete Scoundrel): Spontaneous Trickster CF allow lose spell(/slot) to recharge used skill trick; Acrobatic Backstab...

Master of Masks (Complete Scoundrel): Jester persona masks - competence bonus on Balance, Perform, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks (from +2 at the start to +8 at 10th level)

Blade Dancer (Oriental Adventures): at the very 1st level you will get supernatural +10 competence bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks; unfortunately, this PrC, despite requiring spells to enter, doesn't progress casting at all

Kabuki Warrior (Dragon #298): gets +2 competence bonus to his Bluff, Perform, and Tumble checks at 1st level (increase to +4 at 5th level); unfortunately, this PrC, despite requiring spells to enter, doesn't progress casting at all

Factotum (Dungeonscape): Brains over Brawn allow to use your Int for Balance, Climb, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks, and Arcane Dilettante suggesting Factotum is arcane class

Pyromancer999
2017-03-09, 08:32 AM
Swordsage could do pretty well with this, especially since Tumble is a discipline skill(for Desert Wind, I believe).

Particle_Man
2017-03-09, 10:24 AM
I think that Tumble can explicitly be used to earn money like a Perform skill. It is just that, by the time you have enough ranks to make it worthwhile, you probably have so much money from adventuring that it isn't worth your time to stop adventuring and start tumbling for money. :smallsmile:

weckar
2017-03-09, 10:27 AM
I think that Tumble can explicitly be used to earn money like a Perform skill. Heh, I thought only SoH had that text. Does that make them valid choices for a bard?

Psyren
2017-03-09, 10:41 AM
Pathfinder Bards get an ability called Versatile Performance - it lets them use various perform skills in place of other skills. Specifically in this case, you can use Perform (Dance) in place of Acrobatics, which basically allows you to dance around enemies and dance while casting spells.

Combine with Dervish of Dawn or Dervish Dancer and you'll get an arcane acrobat that can self-buff to be pretty competent in melee.

Zaq
2017-03-09, 10:53 AM
It's not a very strong class, but are you perhaps thinking of the Jester, from Dragon Compendium?

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-09, 01:08 PM
Arcane Trickster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneTrickster.htm) maybe?
Or a Spellthief (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=1)?

ShurikVch
2017-03-09, 01:23 PM
Arcane Trickster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneTrickster.htm) maybe?
Or a Spellthief (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=1)?Then, maybe, Magic Filcher too (from Dragon #310)?

Venger
2017-03-09, 03:45 PM
Are you perhaps thinking of swashbuckler's arcane stunt ACF?

Flux Adept (Dragon Compendium) Grace Through Will (Ex): The character adds half her flux adept level to all Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, and Tumble skill checks.

Magical Trickster (Complete Scoundrel): Spontaneous Trickster CF allow lose spell(/slot) to recharge used skill trick; Acrobatic Backstab...

Master of Masks (Complete Scoundrel): Jester persona masks - competence bonus on Balance, Perform, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks (from +2 at the start to +8 at 10th level)

Blade Dancer (Oriental Adventures): at the very 1st level you will get supernatural +10 competence bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks; unfortunately, this PrC, despite requiring spells to enter, doesn't progress casting at all

Kabuki Warrior (Dragon #298): gets +2 competence bonus to his Bluff, Perform, and Tumble checks at 1st level (increase to +4 at 5th level); unfortunately, this PrC, despite requiring spells to enter, doesn't progress casting at all

Factotum (Dungeonscape): Brains over Brawn allow to use your Int for Balance, Climb, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble checks, and Arcane Dilettante suggesting Factotum is arcane class

All excellent suggestions. One small addendum: factotum actually adds your int bonus, it doesn't swap out the ability modifier, so you get both.

you might look at either exemplar (allows mastery with a bunch of skills at entry, then one new skill each level) and/or thief-acrobat.