PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Items for my party

Hudsonian
2017-03-09, 10:38 AM
First I am unafraid to homebrew magic items. But I'm in a creative loop right now and I can't come up with fun stuff.

And like I said, I want fun things that are outside of the box. So here we go, the setting is:
party: almost lvl 4
Human swashbuckler
Half elf land druid
Halfling Palm monk
High Elf Wizard (evocation)
Bronze Dragonborn champion fighter

They all have pretty insane stats (I watched them roll it too... I was blown away)

They are in an old style dungeon where they are going through clearly defined levels of the dungeon that get harder as they progress (plane shifts, not up and down). But at the end of each level they each find a chest with their name on it containing a magical item with limited durability that has only an active effect.

What are some class themed magic items that you think would be really cool and at least somewhat appropriate at level 4? I typically use charges or dice rolls against failure without a recharge mechanic for new magical items.

MBControl
2017-03-09, 12:06 PM
I'll just give basic flavor ideas. It's probably best if you balance out the mechanics

Swashbuckler: Magical rope that can tie to nothing. Meaning he/she can anchor the rope to a point magically, and swing into action.

Land Druid: A net that can immobilize a medium or smaller flying creature

Monk: boots of shifting terrain. You can attune the boots to the basic terrain types, meaning your movement cannot be reduced (non-magically) in that terrain. You can re-attune to switch terrain.

Wizard: Splitting lens. Can split the focus of a spell to a second target, also requiring a spell attack roll to succeed. Roll the damage once, and halve the damage to each target.

Fighter: A helm called "lightning rod" or something. When the dragonborn uses it's breath weapon, the surge of electricity powers the helm for one of a few options. The helm can give 1 hour of darkvision, or add 1d6 lightning dmg to next melee attack, or an electro-magnetic barrier that give a dis ADV to any melee attacks against it for 1 minute.

Trying to think of some different themes, that are somewhat class/race friendly.

Alkerite
2017-03-09, 12:25 PM
Hm. Level 4, so let's keep them limited to common and uncommon items.
Take away the potions, which leaves only uncommon items. (Potions are great as a drop, but as a reward for clearing? Not so much.)

And sense their stats amazing they probably won't get much mileage out of the Gauntlets of Ogre strength, or similar items.
For the Wizard, I KNOW they want a fly spell ASAP, so if you're feeling generous, a Broom of Flying for them.
For the fighter: If sword and board, give him a Sentinel shield, or Adamantine Armor.
Swashbuckler and Druid... harder choices.
For the Druid, perhaps a bag o' Tricks. Or, the bit risky choice of a FOWP: Silver Raven
Swashbuckler; they'd get a kick out of the Eyes of Charming
Monk, just give him a set of Boots of Striding and Springing, or a ring of jumping, or both, and they'all have a blast being yoda.

Specter
2017-03-09, 03:45 PM
Human Swashbuckler: +1 sword that gives advantage to Acrobatics' checks.
Half elf Land Druid: Pearl of Power from the DMG, reflavored to allow you to recharge either a spell or a wild shape use.
Halfling Palm Monk: Something that will increase his unarmed die will make him happy. If not, an item that gives him see invisibility 1/day and permanent darkvision.
High Elf Wizard (evocation): a necklace that lets him treat any 1 rolled on a spell damage die as a 2 (like the EA feat).
Bronze Dragonborn champion fighter: +1 weapon that deals an extra dice of fire damage on a crit (a la Half-Orc).

Bahamut7
2017-03-09, 04:15 PM
Limited durability and they got really good stats. So no permanent items like the Tomes and Manuals of stat improvement. Also, no Bracers of Defense since you want the items to be of limited use and eventually break.

It sounds like you want some custom items. I would suggest skim through the Magic Item list from 4e to find plenty of inspiration (assuming you can access the list and description).

Otherwise...let's see.

Human swashbuckler = Something to grant multiple attacks in the true sense of a swashbuckler.

Half elf land druid = Something to improve Wildshape and allow better spell casting in animal form.

Halfling Palm monk = An item that surges the amount of Ki, improves unarmed damage, or gives them temporary access to a different tradition's ability.

High Elf Wizard (evocation) = Traditionally, Bladesingers were Elven only, so I would give the Wizard access to the Bladesong feature for a little. Instead of 5e's version though, use 4e. Let it grant a +2 to AC and all saving throws and gives the user an additional +5 (or whatever amount you feel is fair) to all damage during the song. The bladesong typically lasted 2 entire turns back in 4e.

Bronze Dragonborn champion fighter = I would say something to give him temporary flight. Basically brings out his Draconic heritage more. It would be a fun item that wouldn't break the campaign as it is designed to fall apart.

This is all assuming items that will only see a few sessions at most and match the feel of your combat.

N810
2017-03-09, 04:42 PM
Human swashbuckler
main gauche dagger:
offhand dagger: adds +1 to AC and disarms on a crit.

Half elf land druid
staff of woodland creatures:
summons d6 1/4 CR beast.
6 charges: recharges 1d4 charges per long rest.

Halfling Palm monk
Blessed hand wraps:
adds +1 die to unarmed attacks,
adds +1 to maximum Ki charges

High Elf Wizard (evocation)
Wand of Elements: randomly shoots
either fire, ice, lightning or acid. (roll a d4 for type)
1d6 damage per charge expended.
6 charges: recharges 1d4 charges per long rest.

Bronze Dragonborn champion fighter
Bronze Long Sword of the ancients:
Whenever you crit with this sword your
breath weapon is recharged.

Hudsonian
2017-03-13, 06:23 PM
Guys these suggestions were great. I really appreciate the help.

Bahamut7
2017-03-13, 07:25 PM
Guys these suggestions were great. I really appreciate the help.

Anytime. What items did you go with initially?