PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for a BBEG for an all bard one shot

MBControl
2017-03-09, 11:37 AM
I'm going to be running an all bard one shot, and I'm going to base it out on a battle of the bands style story, called Bard Jammer.

I've never ran an all bard game before, and therefore I'm not sure what problems I'll have to account for. I'm looking for a bad guy that is difficult for them, while still allowing them to use there specific talents to defeat them.

There will be 5-6 PC's at lvl 5. I am allowing MC, but a minimum of half the levels must be bard.

What are your ideas, and what potential problems am I going to run into?

BiPolar
2017-03-09, 11:54 AM
The good news is that they are low enough level where their supreme bard-arse-ness won't be as much of an issue. The d8 for inspiration WILL come into play though as either cutting words or to boost attacks/saves.

I think you'll likely want someone that can attack as the Bard natively doesn't have great AC and it shouldn't be a humanoid. They'll still be able to utilize a lot of their strengths but won't get the immediate win after each bard tries to Hold Person.

The key thing to consider is to create resource drain. You don't want them fully stacked when they encounter the BBEG, but the should have enough to make it fun for them. An All-Bard group BBEG immediately makes me think about Metalocalypse and using one of their enemies as a basis. Personally, I'm a Dr. Rockzo fan and he could definitely end up as not a humanoid. And his 'powder' could be fluffed to be Dust of choking, of which he is immune after years of...use.

Mr. Crowbar
2017-03-09, 12:10 PM
IIRC, a lot of bard spells/abilities - vicious mockery, cutting words, dissonant whispers - require the target to be able to hear. So you could throw some Silence or deaf enemies at them.

BiPolar
2017-03-09, 12:20 PM
IIRC, a lot of bard spells/abilities - vicious mockery, cutting words, dissonant whispers - require the target to be able to hear. So you could throw some Silence or deaf enemies at them.

Although he said he doesn't want to turn off their individual abilities, so deafening/silence would do that :(

Mr. Crowbar
2017-03-09, 12:25 PM
Although he said he doesn't want to turn off their individual abilities, so deafening/silence would do that :(

Whups, I missed that. At least, if enemies are deaf without Silence, the bards could still inspire each other.
And now I wonder if Vicious Mockery could be adapted into Vicious Rude Gesture...

jaappleton
2017-03-09, 12:28 PM
The BBEG is a devil, and he's also a Bard.

The story takes place in Georgia.

And the devil's looking for a soul to steal.

BiPolar
2017-03-09, 12:43 PM

Starts off with a skill test challenge? :D

JAL_1138
2017-03-09, 12:50 PM

Accompanied by a band of demons.

If they win, do they get a fiddle made of gold...?

rooneg
2017-03-09, 12:50 PM
Go read Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham if you want the canonical "what it should be like to have a party of all bards" experience, and a great example of a good BBEG for such a party.

Typhon
2017-03-09, 01:12 PM
Bardic Lich front man. Rest of Band is demons, monsters, and sentient undead.

Basically model it after a front man of rock (Ozzy, Keith Richards, Manson) and have the rest of the band be Gwar.

Name the band Infernal salvation. Done.

N810
2017-03-09, 01:16 PM
"Master Blaster"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidd_Video

Azgeroth
2017-03-09, 01:33 PM
demon or devil that is the 'label manager' hosting the contest to find the most able to recruit as accompaniment to hells armies, parties, and general amusement.

or just some rich A-hole. most of the super bads are a bit OP for a group of lvl 5 players, unless you water it down of course. then id probably go vampire, or drow front man/woman, maybe a mindflayer... though i think the first idea is probably the best imho

Cespenar
2017-03-10, 01:01 AM
If you aren't going Tenacious D in such a setting, you're doing it wrong.

Youtube "Beelzeboss", and your problems are solved.

Rhynear
2017-03-10, 06:29 AM
Whups, I missed that. At least, if enemies are deaf without Silence, the bards could still inspire each other.
And now I wonder if Vicious Mockery could be adapted into Vicious Rude Gesture...

Now I want to make a deaf and dumb Bard that communicates exclusively with sign language.

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 10:01 AM
Now I want to make a deaf and dumb Bard that communicates exclusively with sign language.

He sure plays a mean pinball.

Oramac
2017-03-10, 10:05 AM

Accompanied by a band of demons.

If they win, do they get a fiddle made of gold...?

These are fantastic ideas.

I was going to mention the film "Scott Pilgrim vs The World" as well. Very much a Bardic inspiration.

Typhon
2017-03-10, 10:13 AM
These are fantastic ideas.

I was going to mention the film "Scott Pilgrim vs The World" as well. Very much a Bardic inspiration.

That is more of a long form campaign instead of a quick one shot though isn't it?
Still that would be pretty epic and awesome to have the group fight the seven deadly exes.

BiPolar
2017-03-10, 10:23 AM
He sure plays a mean pinball.

but he may have a hard time with verbal components. Might put a hamper on him being the bally table king.

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 10:28 AM
That is more of a long form campaign instead of a quick one shot though isn't it?
Still that would be pretty epic and awesome to have the group fight the seven deadly exes.

With each one as a different color evil dragon!

Typhon
2017-03-10, 10:34 AM
With each one as a different color evil dragon!

I was thinking more along the lines of the actor/stunt doubles as Human Paladin
Vegan supersayin as elven sorcerer or warlock/monk
or demons and devils.

I think for this dragons would be a little oddly flavored. Except for the lesbian, dragonborn barbarian.

Oramac
2017-03-10, 10:53 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the actor/stunt doubles as Human Paladin
Vegan supersayin as elven sorcerer or warlock/monk
or demons and devils.

I think for this dragons would be a little oddly flavored. Except for the lesbian, dragonborn barbarian.

That would work wonderfully! I kinda want to do that now.

Typhon
2017-03-10, 11:18 AM
That would work wonderfully! I kinda want to do that now.

It definitely has a tone of potential for serious fun.

Typhon
2017-03-10, 01:21 PM
So couldn't help myself, but I did a little adapting for that Scott Pilgrim thing. Let me know what you think and if there should be some adjustments.

Ex 1 - Satya Patel –Eladrin Gold Dragon Sorcerer 5/ Valor Bard 1
Ex 2 – Lee Evans – Human Crown Paladin 8
Ex 3 - Routh Ingram – Aasimar Undying Light Warlock 8/Lore Bard 6
Ex 4 – Roxy Richter – Tiefling Shadow Monk 10
Ex 5 & 6 – Shota &Keita Katayanagi – twin Half-Elf Conjuration Wizard 9/ Valor & Lore Bards 3
Ex 7 – Gideon Gordon Graves – Gnome Mastermind Rogue 16

NPC – Ranma Flowers – Human Open Hand Monk 5/ Champion Fighter 6
NPC – Chau Knives – Long Death Monk 6

Temperjoke
2017-03-10, 03:14 PM
On the original topic, you're going to want someone who can make saves against their spells. What about a Drow Rogue that hates music and is attempting to ruin the competition? It's pretty cliche, but at the same time, it's kinda fitting for an all-bard one shot to have stuff commonly from stories in it. You could also have a sleazy Tiefling organizer who everyone thinks is the bad guy because he keeps doing underhanded things to promote his favorite band, instead of treating everyone fairly. The Tiefling's favorite band are also suspects, because they heavily use enchantment spells on the audiences to help stay the favorites, and they're the PC group's rivals. The Drow, in the meantime, is secretly sabotaging people, using sleight of hand tricks and other under-handed plans (letting a rust monster loose on some of the metal instruments, tampering with drinks/food to poison people, etc.).

Bahamut7
2017-03-10, 03:19 PM
Watch Scott Pilgrim vs the World for inspiration.

As for the BBEG...The Critic. His sarcastic remarks on the "unoriginal" music of the Bards could be devastating.

MBControl
2017-03-10, 05:13 PM

Love this idea

MBControl
2017-03-10, 05:19 PM
Gotta say. Super impressed with everybody on this thread. Thanks

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 05:34 PM
watch scott pilgrim vs the world for inspiration.

As for the bbeg...the critic. His sarcastic remarks on the "unoriginal" music of the bards could be devastating.

it stinks!

Typhon
2017-03-10, 05:37 PM
it stinks!

We thank you for your lengthy and descriptive input. However, in the future, might we suggest that you use more than 2 words as a reasonable point of discussion. Thank you.

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 05:42 PM
We thank you for your lengthy and descriptive input. However, in the future, might we suggest that you use more than 2 words as a reasonable point of discussion. Thank you.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you didn't get the reference.

The Critic was the title of a short lived animated series on ABC during the mid 1990's with Jon Lovitz providing the voice of the titular character. "It stinks!" was his catch phrase.

So when someone suggested a BBEG known as The Critic, well...

Just an aged pop culture reference, I wasn't knocking the suggestion. :smallbiggrin:

Typhon
2017-03-10, 05:55 PM

The Critic was the title of a short lived animated series on ABC during the mid 1990's with Jon Lovitz providing the voice of the titular character. "It stinks!" was his catch phrase.

Just an aged pop culture reference, I wasn't knocking the suggestion. :smallbiggrin:

Ah, I remember it now. The show was ok, not really memorable.

Tetrasodium
2017-03-10, 06:06 PM
BBEG is The Count's Mistress who is possessed by the intelligent & beautiful necklace he unwittingly gave her.

Bahamut7
2017-03-10, 06:32 PM

I got the reference immediately and honestly was thinking of that character when I suggested it. :smallbiggrin:

Hathorym
2017-03-10, 07:20 PM
Harpies and their Queen...

Typhon
2017-03-10, 07:23 PM
Jo'c and the Kitties - a tabaxi bard group

MBControl
2017-03-16, 11:45 AM
Yeah, that's a good side topic.

I'm also looking for fantasy bands to battle against, and I'm playing real life songs to as there performances. For example, I have a group of Druids as Spinal Tap singing Stonehenge, A group of Undead as Type O Negative (Summer Breeze Cover), Goblins as Cypress Hill (How I Could Just Kill a Man).

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I'm thinking there might be another "good guy band" that may step in to help if needed at some point.

Typhon
2017-03-16, 11:55 AM
Ozzy as a Neutral good Death cleric/Necromancer/Bard

White Zombie, a band composed of zombie bards and lead by their zombie lord Robert Xombie.

Oramac
2017-03-16, 12:21 PM
Any other ideas would be appreciated. I'm thinking there might be another "good guy band" that may step in to help if needed at some point.

All-female group of undead covering Kittie songs.

More undead playing Stitched Up Heart songs.

A custom Sandman playing Enter Sandman (Metallica).

A Necromancer with an undead army playing Master of Puppets (Metallica)

===================

Oh, wait. Another good guy band. Hmm.....

A group of heavily armored bards playing Unbreakable by Fireflight.

I washed out older bard with a high Strength score singing Eye of the Tiger

I'm sure there's more but I'm at work and need to, you know, work. :D

Bahamut7
2017-03-16, 03:36 PM
And the Surprise guest...

http://elgrandepics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Minotaur-Bard1.jpg

MBControl
2017-03-18, 09:21 AM
I'm using the Minotaur cowbell joke!