PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Priest of a Heavy Metal God (Really just a bard that's into Metal music)

Eviscerus
2017-03-09, 01:11 PM
So i had this jokey idea back in the 2nd edition days but never did anything with it.

Now that bards are infinitely more badass, I think it's doable.

So any suggestions on this as far as feats or spell selection?

I've already decided multiclassing into fighter or other melee is out. In case you're wondering why, it's because Power Word Kill. Which, if you're metal, is now Power Chord Kill. I don't have to tell you that makes any argument about dipping martial classes invalid.

Thanks for any input!

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-09, 01:18 PM
You may be interested in some of my homebrewed 'Power Word' spells in here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5ii4j22vebleu7/Spells%20with%20Lists.pdf?dl=0). I also have a heavy metal barbarian path in the works, which might be cool if one of your fellow players wanted to get in on the act... I can post a sneak preview if you're interested.

As for RAW options, Elemental Adept (thunder) would be thematic but probably not worthwhile mechanically. Tavern Brawler to represent moshing?

BiPolar
2017-03-09, 01:22 PM
So i had this jokey idea back in the 2nd edition days but never did anything with it.

Now that bards are infinitely more badass, I think it's doable.

So any suggestions on this as far as feats or spell selection?

I've already decided multiclassing into fighter or other melee is out. In case you're wondering why, it's because Power Word Kill. Which, if you're metal, is now Power Chord Kill. I don't have to tell you that makes any argument about dipping martial classes invalid.

Thanks for any input!

Heat Metal
Dissonant Whispers
Earth Tremor (Reverb!)
Faerie Fire (pyrotechnics)
Thunderwave (AC/DC)
Knock (music opens the way)
Pyrotechnics (pyrotechnics)
hypnotic pattern (we all know metal music has subconscious directives)

Oramac
2017-03-09, 01:27 PM
I made The Most Metal of Bards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?508335-Making-the-most-metal-of-Bards) at one point, and it was loads of fun. Highly recommended.

Carry a Greataxe (https://www.google.com/search?q=guitar+axe&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwis8OHvg8rSAhUFPCYKHWZ4C44Q_AUICSgC&biw=1187&bih=1147) after going College of Valor.

Some spells you have are:

Thunderstruck (Thunderwave)

Healing Riff (Healing Word)

Vicious Mockery (does this need explanation?)

Pyrotechnics (awesome concerts, man)

Shatter (big ass speakers!)

Bane (Death Metal)

And so on.

JAL_1138
2017-03-09, 03:10 PM
If you go melee with Valor Bard, dip two levels of Paladin to start out. You still get 9th-level spells with a two-level dip, and your melee damage improves considerably. Heavy armor certainly helps a melee combatant as well. Suggested feats are Polearm Master (which also helps offset the delay in Extra Attack caused by the Pally dip) and perhaps Great Weapon Master. Take Defensive for your Fighting Style (since Great Weapon style only applies to weapon dice, not Smite dice--the extra point of AC benefits you much more than the piddling average damage increase). If you take GWM, cast either Bless or Elemental Weapon (although EW costs a Magical Secret, whereas you pick up Bless at Paladin 2) to help offset the -5 (and add damage, with Elemental Weapon) when you attack.

Specter
2017-03-09, 03:38 PM
KORD!

Kord is definitely the Manowar of gods. If anyone's going to be a metal bard while not being a gothic/black metal whiner, he must devote himself to Kord.

RACE: Human (or Half-Orc, anything giving STR). If you're not going to have at least 16STR, don't even bother.
SUBCLASS: Valor, of course! No place for puny lore here.
FEATS: Tough is as tough as it gets. Inspiring Leader and Resilient (CON) also allowed. Anything that says 'killer' or 'slayer' on its name is also good to go.
SKILLS: Intimidation and Athletics are mandatory. Anything else that isn't too puny (like Nature or Acrobatics) also allowed.
SPELLS: Heroism, Enhance Ability (Bull's Strenght), Bane, Heat Metal and Pyrotechnics are compulsory.
APPEARANCE: Like this (http://www.deathmetal.org/wp-content/uploads/manowar-1.jpg), except with a breastplate.

Quoxis
2017-03-10, 07:52 AM
Don't forget taking the tavern brawler feat and convincing your DM to let you use your instrument of choice as an improvised weapon (steelplate-backed lute as a greatclub, for example).