PDA

View Full Version : Endurance/stamina mechanics?

LVOD
2017-03-09, 04:27 PM
Anyone know of an RPG with a good endurance/stamina mechanic for essentially how much you can accomplish without being exhausted?

5e d&d is all about action economy, but I'm looking for something a little more in depth than that, where characters can push themselves to accomplish more at the cost of some kind of exhaustion.

LibraryOgre
2017-03-09, 04:36 PM
First two that come to mind are d6 (the Stamina skill, linked to Strength) and Hackmaster (Fatigue Factor, based on Constitution and Wisdom).

Oh, and 3EG's Apocalypse Prevention Inc has a stamina mechanic as part of its combat.

Jay R
2017-03-09, 09:23 PM
The Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero, etc.) does this well. Many people don't like the math involved in doing so.

RazorChain
2017-03-09, 10:53 PM
Gurps uses fatigue where you can push yourself for extra effort in combat and other physical stuff or lose it through exertion, heat, starvation, dehydration etc.

BWR
2017-03-10, 02:59 AM
Ars Magica has a fatigue system.

Khedrac
2017-03-10, 03:18 AM
I suppose the fatigue rules from RuneQuest 3 count, but they were a right pain to actually use most of the time. I don't recall if they are still in Basic RolePlaying and I have no idea if they will be in the new edition of RQ when it comes out.

Arguably, D&D 3.5 has a form of this - the ability to take a standard action while disabled (0hp or negative hp with diehard feat) which results in taking damage...

Frozen_Feet
2017-03-10, 05:50 AM
CODA system has a fatigue track in addition to health track. When doing strenuous activity (running, fighting etc.), you roll to check if you become winded, then to see if you become fatigued etc. (You can spend Courage points to improve your odds at the roll). Each level of fatigue takes successively longer to recover from - f.ex. it takes 30 minutes to go from winded to hale. Each level of fatigue poses penalties, which also influence how fast you become more fatigued. So if you try to push really far past your limits, you will either burn through Courage real fast or quickly be incapacitated by exhaustion.

Fri
2017-03-10, 09:01 AM
BoEF of DnD 3.5?