PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing the Roof-Jumper feat

danielxcutter
2017-03-09, 06:40 PM
Roof-Jumper is a tactical feat from Cityscape. One of the tactical maneuvers is Death From Above. When you fall from 20 feet or more to attack a foe beneath you, you add 1d6 damage you fall after the first 10 feet.

The problem is that it does nothing to negate the falling damage you take, since if you use something like Feather Fall you can't activate Death From Above.

Any way to use the feat in a decent build?

weckar
2017-03-09, 06:46 PM
I think you missed the best part of this ability: the attack counts as a charge. A LOT of good abilities act off charge.

As for negating damage without slowing down, the psionic Power Catfall is an option. Otherwise, any of the physical damage immunity cheeses will do.

Gravity boots or the reverse gravity spell can be used to easily set it up, too.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-03-09, 07:49 PM
Seriously? It's 20 ft. Just roll the jump and tumble checks to negate the damage.

Venger
2017-03-09, 07:54 PM
Seriously? It's 20 ft. Just roll the jump and tumble checks to negate the damage.

Right, but he wants to take advantage of getting more damage. You can fall 20 feet for 1d6 extra, 30 feet for 2d6, and so on.

Boosting your tumble check really high isn't that difficult. I would recommend looking into urban soul, thief acrobat, exemplar, or some combination thereof to always ace the checks and rack up bonuses. consider a factotum entry.

add the acrobat boots with either an incarnate dip or shape soulmeld and you shouldn't need to worry about hitting your DCs.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-09, 08:12 PM
I'm still kicking myself for not getting a Roof Jumper Dvati build off the ground for the Thunder Guide round of Iron Chef. The idea was that the Dvati twin would auto-succeed on the Climb check to catch the falling charger with Rescue Artist (the only Thunder Guide ability that really does anything).

In general though? Basically what everyone else said, unless you want to go the masochistic route and optimize around hurting yourself. The Gnome Tunnel Acrobatics feat is probably the most naturally synergistic in that regard. I'm also fond of Alter Selfing into a Jovoc.

LordOfCain
2017-03-09, 08:13 PM
Wasnt there a pretty killer Iron Chef build built around this?

WhamBamSam
2017-03-09, 08:26 PM
Wasnt there a pretty killer Iron Chef build built around this?There was an Elocater build based around avoiding the landing with the Scorn Earth class feature. This may or may not actually work depending on how your DM feels it interacts with Roof Jumper's Feather Fall line.

danielxcutter
2017-03-09, 08:27 PM
I think you missed the best part of this ability: the attack counts as a charge. A LOT of good abilities act off charge.

Well, yeah... but the bigger problem is not being squashed like a tomato by the fall. If that's solved, then I can just staple on half a dozen charging feats/items/class features and call it a day. :smallbiggrin:

As for negating damage without slowing down, the psionic Power Catfall is an option. Otherwise, any of the physical damage immunity cheeses will do.

Need more context, please.

Gravity boots or the reverse gravity spell can be used to easily set it up, too.

Setting it up? Not as hard as some people would think. Not dying? Harder.

Well.......

Right, but he wants to take advantage of getting more damage. You can fall 20 feet for 1d6 extra, 30 feet for 2d6, and so on.

I mean, 1d6 extra damage on a charge doesn't seem like it's worth a feat.

Boosting your tumble check really high isn't that difficult. I would recommend looking into urban soul, thief acrobat, exemplar, or some combination thereof to always ace the checks and rack up bonuses. consider a factotum entry.

Are those prestige classes? I don't really like dipping into several PrCs just to get a few class features.

Add the acrobat boots with either an incarnate dip or shape soulmeld and you shouldn't need to worry about hitting your DCs.

How much of a bonus do you get again?

I'm still kicking myself for not getting a Roof Jumper Dvati build off the ground for the Thunder Guide round of Iron Chef. The idea was that the Dvati twin would auto-succeed on the Climb check to catch the falling charger with Rescue Artist (the only Thunder Guide ability that really does anything).

Really? Dvati's surprisingly common in Iron Chef, now that I think about it.

In general though? Basically what everyone else said, unless you want to go the masochistic route and optimize around hurting yourself. The Gnome Tunnel Acrobatics feat is probably the most naturally synergistic in that regard. I'm also fond of Alter Selfing into a Jovoc.

Uh... What in the nine hells is a Jovoc?

Wasnt there a pretty killer Iron Chef build built around this?

Oh, you mean Inevitablilty's Marg, Comet of Sharn? Yeah, that's exactly how I learned of the feat in the first place. Unfortunatly, Troacctid tore the main strategy to pieces in her judging, which makes sense considering that the counterforce from the fall should be huge.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-09, 08:57 PM
I mean, 1d6 extra damage on a charge doesn't seem like it's worth a feat. Well just being able to change by dive bombing people is worth something, but there's also Battle Jump for that, which doesn't have the annoying prereqs.

Are those prestige classes? I don't really like dipping into several PrCs just to get a few class features.Yes. Fair enough I guess, but you did ask how the feat could be optimized.

Really? Dvati's surprisingly common in Iron Chef, now that I think about it.Iron Chef rewards self-reliance, so builds requiring active teamwork often end up using Dvati so as to not need cooperative party members.

Uh... What in the nine hells is a Jovoc?Infinite layers of the Abyss, actually. They're a small but hilarious tanar'ri from MMII with a Su ability which causes all the damage they take to also be taken by all nearby non-tanar'ri. They're 4HD or so, which makes them a valid Outsider Alter Self form.

Darrin
2017-03-09, 09:52 PM
Boots of Landing and the Landing property can be used to negate 60'. They're based on catfall, which doesn't slow your fall, it just negates distance. It also ensures you land on your feet. They can be combined with a Jump check and Tumble check for another 20'. So that's 80' without too much fuss.

Tumble checks also scale up. I think OA has something about the DC going up every 10'? ELH has a DC 100 to negate all falling damage.

I have a few Roof-Jumper builds:

Mach 1.48 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18076139&postcount=300)
Thumpelina (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18984751&postcount=25)
Vultag Thunderkeg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20650036&postcount=77)

Venger
2017-03-09, 10:19 PM

Alter self doesn't grant su abilities though, so you'd need some more stuff to get their aura of retribution such as ASA.

Well, yeah... but the bigger problem is not being squashed like a tomato by the fall. If that's solved, then I can just staple on half a dozen charging feats/items/class features and call it a day. :smallbiggrin:

Need more context, please.
catfall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/catfall.htm)

Well.......
Is there a problem hitting the DCs? what chassis are you thinking of using?

I mean, 1d6 extra damage on a charge doesn't seem like it's worth a feat.
No, it's not, but it's not just 1d6. There is no upper limit on how far you can fall and how much damage you inflict as long as you mitigate it somehow.

Are those prestige classes? I don't really like dipping into several PrCs just to get a few class features.
Yes, they're prestige classes. urban soul is from races of destiny, the exemplar and thief-acrobat are from complete adventurer.

factotum is a base class from dungeonscape.

I'm sort of at a loss. The purpose of taking prestige classes is to get their class features. Are prcs not allowed in your games? If so, factotum 20 will probably serve you fine. brains over brawn along with their inspiration pool will allow you to hit your dcs often enough for you to do these tricks.

You don't need all three of these classes to hit your DCs. I threw them out because they are a few (of many) ways of getting skill mastery with tumble, letting you take 10 even when rushed or threatened. you can invest in whichever one you think is the best deal, suits your playstyle/op level the best, etc.

if you don't want prc suggestions, that's fine, we can direct our efforts towards feats and stuff.

How much of a bonus do you get again?
acrobat boots grant a +2 insight bonus with a further +2 for every point of essentia you invest in them, so it adds up quickly, especially since it'll stack with everything else.

Boots of Landing and the Landing property can be used to negate 60'. They're based on catfall, which doesn't slow your fall, it just negates distance. It also ensures you land on your feet. They can be combined with a Jump check and Tumble check for another 20'. So that's 80' without too much fuss.

Tumble checks also scale up. I think OA has something about the DC going up every 10'? ELH has a DC 100 to negate all falling damage.

Thumpelina (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18984751&postcount=25)
Vultag Thunderkeg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20650036&postcount=77)

OA lets you do a couple weird things with tumble like move 10ft on a 5ft step (chart's on page 58), but their formula for negating falling damage is the same as core (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#tumble) the dc to negate 20ft of falling is 30. for every 10 feet above that you need to negate, add 15 to the dc. until you hit 100, where it no longer matters.

danielxcutter
2017-03-09, 10:22 PM
Well just being able to change by dive bombing people is worth something, but there's also Battle Jump for that, which doesn't have the annoying prereqs.

True.

Yes. Fair enough I guess, but you did ask how the feat could be optimized.

Legit.

Iron Chef rewards self-reliance, so builds requiring active teamwork often end up using Dvati so as to not need cooperative party members.

Ah. That makes sense.

Infinite layers of the Abyss, actually. They're a small but hilarious tanar'ri from MMII with a Su ability which causes all the damage they take to also be taken by all nearby non-tanar'ri. They're 4HD or so, which makes them a valid Outsider Alter Self form.

That's kinda funny, once you think about it. A small fiend falls out of nowhere, splats on the ground, and suddenly everyone in the area gets squashed flat.

Mach 1.48 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18076139&postcount=300)

Huh, I don't think I've been seeing you for a while. Inbox full? Or has RL caught you flatfooted again?

Anyways, great advice. So that's 7d6 per charge without taking damage yourself, plus a little more if you optimize Tumble...

danielxcutter
2017-03-09, 10:40 PM
Alter self doesn't grant su abilities though, so you'd need some more stuff to get their aura of retribution such as ASA.

Awww. :smallfrown: Too bad.

catfall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/catfall.htm)

I meant the "negate physical damage cheese".

Is there a problem hitting the DCs? what chassis are you thinking of using?

Not sure about chassis yet, but that particular part was aimed at Kelb's "only 20 feet" statement - what if the distance I want to fall is larger?

No, it's not, but it's not just 1d6. There is no upper limit on how far you can fall and how much damage you inflict as long as you mitigate it somehow.

The problem is that 20 feet - as Kelb said - does only give you 1d6. You'd have to fall from higher to deal more damage.

Yes, they're prestige classes. urban soul is from races of destiny, the exemplar and thief-acrobat are from complete adventurer.

factotum is a base class from dungeonscape.

I'm sort of at a loss. The purpose of taking prestige classes is to get their class features. Are prcs not allowed in your games? If so, factotum 20 will probably serve you fine. brains over brawn along with their inspiration pool will allow you to hit your dcs often enough for you to do these tricks.

1. This is largely a thought exercise, as well as looking for some potential builds I could use for characters in that webcomic I'm planning out, but primarily the former. Also, I personally prefer taking prestige classes for more than two levels.

2. Factotum is... decent, but it's not what I'm looking for. Don't look at me like that; I don't know why I think so either.

You don't need all three of these classes to hit your DCs. I threw them out because they are a few (of many) ways of getting skill mastery with tumble, letting you take 10 even when rushed or threatened. you can invest in whichever one you think is the best deal, suits your playstyle/op level the best, etc.

Ah, I see. That makes it simpler.

if you don't want prc suggestions, that's fine, we can direct our efforts towards feats and stuff.

I do prefer feats and items over PrCs for this kind of exercise, as the former can usually be used in different builds with different PrCs.

acrobat boots grant a +2 insight bonus with a further +2 for every point of essentia you invest in them, so it adds up quickly, especially since it'll stack with everything else.

Hoo boy, that's pretty sweet. Incarnum's not for everyone, but I see that it's worth it if you know how to do it.

OA lets you do a couple weird things with tumble like move 10ft on a 5ft step (chart's on page 58), but their formula for negating falling damage is the same as core (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#tumble) the dc to negate 20ft of falling is 30. for every 10 feet above that you need to negate, add 15 to the dc. until you hit 100, where it no longer matters.

DC 100 is pretty difficult to hit in a non-epic campaign(or even in low epics). However, Tumble can reduce falling damage a lot, and it would be reasonable to apply a similar formula to Jump.

Venger
2017-03-09, 11:09 PM
Awww. :smallfrown: Too bad.
I mean, if this is your character's one trick, ASA (retributive aura) isn't a horrible choice.

I meant the "negate physical damage cheese".

there are any number of ways to do this. most of them boil down to:
1) get regeneration
2) become immune to nonlethal
3) shore up the things that bypass your regeneration (if any) with immunities

Hoo boy, that's pretty sweet. Incarnum's not for everyone, but I see that it's worth it if you know how to do it.

Yeah, incarnum's a wonderful system. if you're dip-averse, you can always pick it up with shape soulmeld.

Fizban
2017-03-10, 01:06 AM
Impact Armor from Complete Warrior is an oft-overlooked cheapo enhancement that cuts all constriction and falling damage in half.

danielxcutter
2017-03-10, 01:23 AM
Impact Armor from Complete Warrior is an oft-overlooked cheapo enhancement that cuts all constriction and falling damage in half.

Really? How much does it cost?

Venger
2017-03-10, 01:47 AM
Really? How much does it cost?

anti-impact armor is on p133 of cwar and is an additional 2000gp. very good deal for a build like this.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-10, 02:24 AM
Alter self doesn't grant su abilities though, so you'd need some more stuff to get their aura of retribution such as ASA.Yeah, I know. Assume Supernatural Ability (Aura of Retribution) or some sort of manifester level into Metamorphic Transfer was meant to be implied. I usually angle for MMT if I can swing it, but Roof Jumper and the need for Outsider typing already makes for a somewhat feat tight build, so there might not be the extra feat available for a Host feat or whatever.

danielxcutter
2017-03-10, 02:35 AM
anti-impact armor is on p133 of cwar and is an additional 2000gp. very good deal for a build like this.

Good? It's hilariously awesome if you add on all those ways to reduce falling damage everyone's come up with. It's perfect!

Yeah, I know. Assume Supernatural Ability (Aura of Retribution) or some sort of manifester level into Metamorphic Transfer was meant to be implied. I usually angle for MMT if I can swing it, but Roof Jumper and the need for Outsider typing already makes for a somewhat feat tight build, so there might not be the extra feat available for a Host feat or whatever.

Hmm... Is ASA a feat similar to MMT? I've heard of the former when looking up stuff for psionics.

Dagroth
2017-03-10, 02:38 AM
Okay, the text of the feat says you cannot slow your fall... but what about negating the actual impact with the ground?

A flying creature with Hover could theoretically begin hovering immediately after striking.

Or if you have a Swift Action ethereal/insubstantial ability...

Or just take it like a Boss and combine with Pain Mastery. :smallbiggrin:

danielxcutter
2017-03-10, 02:47 AM
Okay, the text of the feat says you cannot slow your fall... but what about negating the actual impact with the ground?

A flying creature with Hover could theoretically begin hovering immediately after striking.

Or if you have a Swift Action ethereal/insubstantial ability...

Or just take it like a Boss and combine with Pain Mastery. :smallbiggrin:

Don't think that it works like that... Okay, maybe turning ethereal could, but you'd still need some way to hit your opponent.

Dagroth
2017-03-10, 02:55 AM
Don't think that it works like that... Okay, maybe turning ethereal could, but you'd still need some way to hit your opponent.

If you're incorporeal, then a Ghost Strike Weapon would work. And you could theoretically fall through the entire planet and attack someone on the other side for stupid numbers of dice of damage!

But like I said, a swift action ethereal would take place after hitting your target but before hitting the ground. Immediate Action would be better, of course.

And you're right... by RAI, suddenly Hovering would not be allowed for Roof Jumper... but it is RAW!

danielxcutter
2017-03-10, 03:06 AM
If you're incorporeal, then a Ghost Strike Weapon would work. And you could theoretically fall through the entire planet and attack someone on the other side for stupid numbers of dice of damage!

But like I said, a swift action ethereal would take place after hitting your target but before hitting the ground. Immediate Action would be better, of course.

And you're right... by RAI, suddenly Hovering would not be allowed for Roof Jumper... but it is RAW!

Just how many DMs do you think would put up with that level of atRAWcities? :smallbiggrin:

WhamBamSam
2017-03-10, 03:51 AM
Hmm... Is ASA a feat similar to MMT? I've heard of the former when looking up stuff for psionics.ASA only allows you one specified Su ability rather than one per form and comes with some minor penalties, but otherwise yes. It's in Savage Species.

Here's a rough stub off the top of my head.

CE Otherworldly Human Factotum 1/Fighter 2/Pouncebarian 1/Factotum +2/Thrall of Juiblex 4/Factotum +X dedicated to some Elder Evil
1. Otherworldly, Power Attack, Thrall to Demon
2. Dodge
3. Mobility, Roofwalker
5. Willing Deformity
6. Roof Jumper
9. Gnome Tunnel Acrobatics
10. Deformity (Tall)
12. Assume Supernatural Ability (Jovoc's Aura of Retribution)

We qualify for Otherworldly using the Celestial-Attended Birth option in Champions of Valor. Angels arrived at his birth to herald the arrival of a destined hero. But even angels roll poorly from time to time, and so this hero got dropped on his head. Now he instinctively associates the feeling of falling and the pain of landing with the peace and contentment of the heavens, and just wants to share that with the world.

Conveniently, Gnome Tunnel Acrobatics is a standard action charge, so you can crank out a few of them with Cunning Surge after making your Roof Jumper attacks.

Power Attack could be replaced with a Host feat to qualify for Metamorphic Transfer instead of ASA at 12th, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Gnome Quickrazor) for Iaijutsu Focus, Darkstalker for stealth utility, or Font of Inspiration if you prefer. Neraph is an alternative to Otherworldly Human, though you'll lose the Camouflage once you start spending all your time in a different form.

Darrin
2017-03-10, 06:37 AM
That's kinda funny, once you think about it. A small fiend falls out of nowhere, splats on the ground, and suddenly everyone in the area gets squashed flat.

Jovoc Bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?58062-Jovocian-Bomb) is an old optimization trick. I'm a little surprised it hasn't shown up in daremetoidareyou's Pain Mastery thread...

Huh, I don't think I've been seeing you for a while. Inbox full? Or has RL caught you flatfooted again?

I have multiple writing projects at the moment. But I usually read every thread you post. If you need something specific, PM me (mailbox isn't full as far as I can tell).

Anyways, great advice. So that's 7d6 per charge without taking damage yourself, plus a little more if you optimize Tumble...

Falling on an opponent from above is one of my favorite tricks. I've been meaning to rework that Fleet Runner build with Geomancer instead, but haven't quite figured out the best way to do it... the combo doesn't work until about ECL 16-17ish. Although anthropomorphic cheetah + wildshape ranger 5 could work around ECL 9ish... Hmm. Get all three Sprints into the build and that killshot could be 4490d6 damage.

Gemini476
2017-03-10, 07:45 AM
It's kind of funny how fall damage maxes out at 20d6 but Death From Above is uncapped.

Does Impact Armor make maximum fall damage 10d6, or does it just scale up to 400ft instead?

danielxcutter
2017-03-10, 07:56 AM
It's kind of funny how fall damage maxes out at 20d6 but Death From Above is uncapped.

Does Impact Armor make maximum fall damage 10d6, or does it just scale up to 400ft instead?

I think fall damage is capped because of terminal velocity, although that should also mean DFA should be capped as well.

As for Impact Armor... I'd say 10d6, since it halves the damage.

Jovoc Bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?58062-Jovocian-Bomb) is an old optimization trick. I'm a little surprised it hasn't shown up in daremetoidareyou's Pain Mastery thread...

I dunno what Pain Mastery is, but that loop trick is hilarious.

I have multiple writing projects at the moment. But I usually read every thread you post. If you need something specific, PM me (mailbox isn't full as far as I can tell).

Odd, I thought you didn't reply to my last PM because you were busy. Maybe I just forgot to send it.

Also, you really read all the threads I post? A true honor. *bows deeply*.

Falling on an opponent from above is one of my favorite tricks. I've been meaning to rework that Fleet Runner build with Geomancer instead, but haven't quite figured out the best way to do it... the combo doesn't work until about ECL 16-17ish. Although anthropomorphic cheetah + wildshape ranger 5 could work around ECL 9ish... Hmm. Get all three Sprints into the build and that killshot could be 4490d6 damage.

Well, landing a drop kick from orbit is pretty aweso... Wait, am I reading that last part correctly? :smalleek:

WhamBamSam
2017-03-10, 09:32 AM
Jovoc Bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?58062-Jovocian-Bomb) is an old optimization trick. I'm a little surprised it hasn't shown up in daremetoidareyou's Pain Mastery thread...I mentioned Jovoc Alter Self in passing and will probably post a version of the above build with Toughness at 1 and Pain Mastery at 15 at some point.

Also, just realized that Deformity (Tall) doesn't work in that build, since you spend all your time in Jovoc form which is small and doesn't qualify. Obese might help if you're trying to get falling object damage in on the fun, or Teeth for an extra attack on each pounce would be fine.

Venger
2017-03-10, 01:10 PM

take shape soulmeld phase cloak and open your shoulder chakra (or just some levels in totemist, which also gives multiple ways to fly) and you can turn ethereal while you move.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-10, 01:24 PM
take shape soulmeld phase cloak and open your shoulder chakra (or just some levels in totemist, which also gives multiple ways to fly) and you can turn ethereal while you move.You only cease to be ethereal when you stop moving though, which might be a tad awkward here as you're attacking as you fall. Most things that work to affect ethereal things don't in the other direction, but I believe there's a longsword in CPsi that does.

Dagroth
2017-03-10, 01:38 PM
take shape soulmeld phase cloak and open your shoulder chakra (or just some levels in totemist, which also gives multiple ways to fly) and you can turn ethereal while you move.

You only cease to be ethereal when you stop moving though, which might be a tad awkward here as you're attacking as you fall. Most things that work to affect ethereal things don't in the other direction, but I believe there's a longsword in CPsi that does.

The key isn't becoming non-ethereal... the key is becoming ethereal.

You're solid when you jump... you're solid when you execute the attack... you're ethereal instantly after the attack.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-10, 01:48 PM
The key isn't becoming non-ethereal... the key is becoming ethereal.

You're solid when you jump... you're solid when you execute the attack... you're ethereal instantly after the attack.Except you're not solid when you execute the attack, as you're still moving.

EDIT: Unless you mean that you don't go ethereal until after attacking, which might work if you have control over that. I've always read the Phase Cloak as automatically turning you ethereal whenever you happen to be moving.

Venger
2017-03-10, 02:12 PM
Except you're not solid when you execute the attack, as you're still moving.

EDIT: Unless you mean that you don't go ethereal until after attacking, which might work if you have control over that. I've always read the Phase Cloak as automatically turning you ethereal whenever you happen to be moving.

You do have control over it. it says you "can become ethereal" not that you have to.

Yeah. What I was getting at (and wasn't as clear as I could've been) was using the phase cloak for a jef costello-like trick in combination with some means of obtaining spring attack, flyby attack, or similar (such as the lamia belt or manticore belt)

This would allow you to dive, slap your target in the back of the head, and then make a u-turn to continue moving, obviating the damage, or if you prefer, diving past him into the ground and just eating the 1d6 damage that ensues since it's far less than the blowback you'd normally be responsible for.

Pleh
2017-03-10, 02:47 PM
How do you feel about 3rd party sources?

Bastion Press released Arms and Armor that has an exotic weapon: Jump Spear. Yeah Exotic proficiency still bites, but look at what it does for you.

It's a normal shortspear, except you add 1d10 damage for every 10 ft you fall before attacking (1d6/10ft for small, 1d12/10ft for large). This damage gets multiplied on a crit.

You take normal falling damage minus 10ft and can make a reflex save for half falling damage, but only if your attack hits.

Add impact armor to cut it in half and you take a quarter falling damage if your attack hits and you save.

Jump Spear says, "This is considered a standard melee attack," but Death From Above only says that it "qualifies as a charge attack." I don't see why both effects can't trigger off the same jump to deal 1d10/10ft + 1d6/[10ft after the first 10ft]

daremetoidareyo
2017-03-10, 02:58 PM
Can't you take the twisted charge skill trick and just start wiggling your feet like your running?

WhamBamSam
2017-03-10, 04:03 PM
You do have control over it. it says you "can become ethereal" not that you have to.

Yeah. What I was getting at (and wasn't as clear as I could've been) was using the phase cloak for a jef costello-like trick in combination with some means of obtaining spring attack, flyby attack, or similar (such as the lamia belt or manticore belt)

This would allow you to dive, slap your target in the back of the head, and then make a u-turn to continue moving, obviating the damage, or if you prefer, diving past him into the ground and just eating the 1d6 damage that ensues since it's far less than the blowback you'd normally be responsible for.Maybe I originally perceived that as a choice made for the entire movement or something, but it does seem more natural to just say it turns on and off as desired.

If you can make a u-turn anyway you might not even need the Phase Cloak, but that depends on what sort of action Roof-Jumper is ruled to be, so just getting shunted out of the ground for a single d6 seems fine. If your city has a subway system or something, you might be able to avoid even that. Is there a lowish level animal companion/familiar/special mount that could dig tunnels for you at a reasonable rate?

Venger
2017-03-10, 04:43 PM
Maybe I originally perceived that as a choice made for the entire movement or something, but it does seem more natural to just say it turns on and off as desired.

If you can make a u-turn anyway you might not even need the Phase Cloak, but that depends on what sort of action Roof-Jumper is ruled to be, so just getting shunted out of the ground for a single d6 seems fine. If your city has a subway system or something, you might be able to avoid even that. Is there a lowish level animal companion/familiar/special mount that could dig tunnels for you at a reasonable rate?

Yeah.

While that's true in some circumstances, phase cloak is useful when entering the reach of people using reach weapons, or who're just larger than medium for obviating aoos (in addition to its normal goodies)

roofjumper is a charge, so is a full-round as normal. amusingly, this means you've still got a ffs left, so can step out of the ground.

look no further than the humble badger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/badger.htm) with the bonus of the classic rage tricks.