PDA

View Full Version : ASI and multiclassing

sir_argo
2017-03-09, 09:19 PM
I did a search of this forum, but not extensive. I'll bet I already know the answer.

Most (all?) classes get an ASI every 4 levels. But if you multiclass, do you add all levels together to determine if you get an ASI, or do you just go by the class' level table? If you do the later, in theory a person who took a new class every 3 levels would never get an ASI. Unrealistic example: a person makes a Bard (3), Paladin (3), Monk (3), Druid (3), Wizard (3), Warlock (3), Rogue (2); he never gets an ASI?

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-09, 09:21 PM
I did a search of this forum, but not extensive. I'll bet I already know the answer.

Most (all?) classes get an ASI every 4 levels. But if you multiclass, do you add all levels together to determine if you get an ASI, or do you just go by the class' level table? If you do the later, in theory a person who took a new class every 3 levels would never get an ASI. Unrealistic example: a person makes a Bard (3), Paladin (3), Monk (3), Druid (3), Wizard (3), Warlock (3), Rogue (2); he never gets an ASI?

That is correct, ASI are class features, not character features

CantigThimble
2017-03-09, 10:12 PM
Correct. The reason it works that way is so that there are no dead levels in classes. There's always some benefit to taking the next level in a class.

NNescio
2017-03-10, 02:07 AM

Correct. ASIs are class features. You multiclass, you delay access to those class features like any other.