PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me make a realistic half goliath - half ogre?

Sergio
2017-03-10, 05:29 AM
I'm not exactly sure how I should do that. I read 'races of renown - bastard and bloodlines', but I admit I don't know what's the right way to make such a mix, and which methods amongst the suggested is the best one.

Inevitability
2017-03-10, 07:37 AM
Assuming this is 3.5, what exactly is wrong with adding the half-ogre template to a goliath?

Sergio
2017-03-10, 07:47 AM
yup. 3.5

I don't like templates applied in this way, they make the character weird. What I mean is that if I went to become undead, I would lose the half ogre template, and with that would come loss stats and also other thigns. Am I wrong?

PersonMan
2017-03-10, 08:33 AM
yup. 3.5

I don't like templates applied in this way, they make the character weird. What I mean is that if I went to become undead, I would lose the half ogre template, and with that would come loss stats and also other thigns. Am I wrong?

You generally don't lose templates when other templates are applied, especially inherited templates. You don't become not a half-ogre because you're now a vampire - the template prerequisites are checked when it's applied, which is when the character is made, not constantly.

Professor Chimp
2017-03-10, 08:55 AM
yup. 3.5

I don't like templates applied in this way, they make the character weird. What I mean is that if I went to become undead, I would lose the half ogre template, and with that would come loss stats and also other thigns. Am I wrong?There is no reason why adding something like the Ghost or Vampire template to a Half-Ogre Goliath would cause you to lose the Half-Ogre template. It's possible for a certain template to exclude you from adding certain other templates, but adding a new template to a creature that already has one doesn't remove the older one.

It's true that a template may cancel some or all of the benefits of another one. For example, there's no point in having a template that gives you a big boost to Strenght, and adding another one that lowers Strenght by the same amount. But that's just a matter of making the right choices and making sure the benefits outweigh the downsides. In any case, adding a new template will not outright remove others.

From the SRD: (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Templates)
In theory, there’s no limit to the number of templates you can add to a creature. To add more than one template, just apply each template one at a time. Always apply inherited templates before applying acquired templates. Whenever you add multiple templates, pay attention to the creature’s type—you may add a template that makes the creature ineligible for other templates you might want to add.

Lalliman
2017-03-10, 11:40 AM
It's true that a template may cancel some or all of the benefits of another one. For example, there's no point in having a template that gives you a big boost to Strenght, and adding another one that lowers Strenght by the same amount. But that's just a matter of making the right choices and making sure the benefits outweigh the downsides. In any case, adding a new template will not outright remove others.
That's not really cancelling it out though. The Strength boost still applies; your Strength would be even lower if you didn't have the first template.

A better example is taking a template that increases your Constitution, and then another one that turns you undead, thus completely negating the benefit of the first one.

Not that this really matters to the point being made.

Jay R
2017-03-10, 12:59 PM
I don't think we can help make one. That's really up to the goliath and the ogre.

Mongobear
2017-03-10, 01:06 PM
Just a thought, why not play the Half-Ogre race in Savage Species and/or Races of Destiny and just fluff your character too look more Goliath than usual, maybe you were raised by Golaiths and have the tattoos/face paint and stuff they normally have?

I think the only mechanical difference between the two Half-Ogres in those books is the Level Adjustment, since one was +1 LA in 3.0 and the other was +2 LA in 3.5, so your DM may require the newer version.