PDA

View Full Version : How would I go to make a goliath ogre mix?

Sergio
2017-03-10, 07:10 AM
I'm not exactly sure how I should do that. I read 'races of renown - bastard and bloodlines', but I admit I don't know what's the right way to make such a mix, and which methods amongst the suggested is the best one.

Necroticplague
2017-03-10, 08:02 AM
I'm not exactly sure how I should do that. I read 'races of renown - bastard and bloodlines', but I admit I don't know what's the right way to make such a mix, and which methods amongst the suggested is the best one.

Take a goliath, add the half-ogre template. Seems straightforward enough. Given the massive LA of everything in Bastards and Bloodlines, result would probably have less LA to boot.

Resultant creature would be like this:
Monstrous Humanoid: As monstrous humanoids, ogrliaths are proficient with all simple weapons, but they have no proficiency with any armor or shield. (see Giant Blood, Below)

Powerful Build: The physical stature of a ogrliath lets him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. Whenever an ogrliath is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the ogrliath is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A ogrliath is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. An ogrliath can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Mountain Movement: Because ogrliaths practically live on the ledges and cliffs of the most forbidding mountains, they are particularly adept at negotiating mountain hazards. Ogrliaths can make standing long jumps and high jumps as if they were running long jumps and high jumps. An Ogrliath can engage in accelerated climbing (climbing half his speed as a move action) without taking the —5 penalty on the Climb check.

Acclimated: Ogrliaths are automatically acclimated to life at high altitude. They don't take the penalties for altitude described in the Mountain Travel section on page 90 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Unlike other denizens of the mountains, ogrliaths don't lose their acclimation to high altitude even if they spend a long time at a lower elevation.

+2 bonus on Sense Motive checks: When speaking to one another, ogrliaths tend to augment their verbal communication with subtle body language. They are likewise able to "read" the unintentional body language of others.

Darkvision (Ex): An ogrliath has darkvision to a range of 60 feet.

Giant Blood (Ex): For all special abilities and effects, an ogrliath is considered a giant in addition to the base creature's type and subtype. Half-ogres can use magic items with racially specific powers as giants.

Natural Armor: +4

Speed: Land Speed 40

Attributes:Str +16, DEX -4, CON+4, Int -2, Cha -2.

Size:Large

Favored Class: Barbarian . A multiclass ogrliath's barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty (see the XP for Multiclass Characters section, page 60 of the Player's Handbook).

Level adjustment +2.

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-10, 09:40 AM
Lots of tequila. Gallons of the stuff.

noce
2017-03-10, 11:28 AM
A Feral Gargun from Races of Stone could have the wild Goliath feeling, they're Goliath cousins after all.

Sergio
2017-03-10, 11:51 AM
I would prefere it more as a race.

es: http://alcyius.com/dndtools/races/races-of-destiny--81/half-ogre--11/index.html

OldTrees1
2017-03-10, 03:47 PM
I would prefere it more as a race.

es: http://alcyius.com/dndtools/races/races-of-destiny--81/half-ogre--11/index.html

Are you asking us to homebrew a Half Goliath Half Ogre race?

Goliath is known for Powerful Build(upgraded to Large size by Mountain Rage)
Ogres are known for Large size
The races are so similar that mechanically a Half Goliath - Half Ogre could easily be a refluffed Goliath, Half Ogre, or Ogre.

Buufreak
2017-03-10, 03:52 PM
Are you asking us to homebrew a Half Goliath Half Ogre race?

Goliath is known for Powerful Build(upgraded to Large size by Mountain Rage)
Ogres are known for Large size
The races are so similar that mechanically a Half Goliath - Half Ogre could easily be a refluffed Goliath, Half Ogre, or Ogre.

In fact, they are so similar that in 4th edition, they are the same thing (at least a half ogre and goliath are).

Dagroth
2017-03-10, 03:54 PM
In fact, they are so similar that in 4th edition, they are the same thing (at least a half ogre and goliath are).

But 4th edition is the Source of All Suffering and Evil.

Buufreak
2017-03-10, 04:00 PM
But 4th edition is the Source of All Suffering and Evil.

While I can agree that some design decisions were not the best, I loved it for the fluff. I still have a bunch of the pdfs for whenever I want to go digging for some story inspiration.

Dagroth
2017-03-10, 04:03 PM
While I can agree that some design decisions were not the best, I loved it for the fluff. I still have a bunch of the pdfs for whenever I want to go digging for some story inspiration.

Runequest had a great setting with terrible mechanics... still don't want to play it.

Rifts had a great setting with terrible mechanics... still don't want to play it.

Thurbane
2017-03-11, 04:21 AM
Well, there is an existing race, the Eneko (Secrets of Sarlona, p.109) who a hybrid race of ogre and half-giant. Not too dissimilar to a half-ogre and goliath mix.

ShurikVch
2017-03-12, 06:56 AM
Use the Return to Nature spell to reduce an Ogre to Tiny size, than make Symbiotic Creature with new Tiny-sized Ogre as a "guest", and Goliath - "host"

Thus - something like this:

Medium-Size Aberration
Hit Dice: 1d12+6 (12 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 13 (+3 studded leather), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Attacks: Greatclub +7 melee, or javelin +1 ranged
Damage: Greatclub 2d8+5, javelin 1d8+5
Face/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Mountain Rage 1/day
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., detach, fast movement, goliath traits, illiteracy, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +0, Will +0
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Climb +5, Jump +5, Listen +2, Sense Motive +2, Spot +2, Survival +1
Feats: Mountain Rage, ToughnessB, Weapon Focus (greatclub)B
Climate/Terrain: Cold Mountains
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Often chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class

Dagroth
2017-03-12, 07:21 AM
I think what the OP wants is a Large race that also has the Powerful Build trait.

OldTrees1
2017-03-12, 11:09 AM
I think what the OP wants is a Large race that also has the Powerful Build trait.

Wouldn't that be the mixing of a Huge Giant and a Large race?
Half Giant Goliath:
As Goliath but:
Large Size (and changes Mountain Rage to increase you to Huge size)
Higher Str/Con modifiers
LA +2

Calthropstu
2017-03-12, 04:26 PM
How do you make an ogre/goliath mix?

See, when a male goliath and a female ogre love each other very very much...

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-13, 12:05 PM

And they make a commitment, they do what we in the scientific world call "The NASTY!"

Dagroth
2017-03-13, 12:07 PM

The Goliath's friends hold an "intervention" with lots of "come on dude, she's an ogre!"

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-13, 12:19 PM
The Goliath's friends hold an "intervention" with lots of "come on dude, she's an ogre!"

Pixie dust is a hell of a drug...