PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help needed - New character required

Deox
2017-03-10, 10:51 AM
Howdy,

Currently playing a Rogue (swashbuckler) and although very fun (both mechanically and RP), the story has gone in such a way that he is naturally leaving the current party.

This is where I humbly ask the Playground for help! The group currently consists of a Barbarian (I believe a Primal Path or maybe one of the UA ones), Wizard, and Monk (Open Hand). Our constraints for character building are essentially, no multi-classing and only PHB races.

I've already gone through a Paladin, Fighter, and Rogue (all for either death or organically ready to leave the party).

Sigreid
2017-03-10, 10:53 AM
A cleric or a druid is the obvious choice for buffs and healing.

ShirAhn
2017-03-10, 10:58 AM
Have you considered Lore Bard? You still get a high charisma character to fill the charming Swashbuckler spot. He also is a skillmonkey and has a potent amount of spells. Specially at level 6 when you get access to the spells from other classes. I do find the level 5 spells are really bumber compared to other what other classes get, but the bard 6 makes up for it.

Galadhrim
2017-03-10, 11:01 AM
Howdy,

This is where I humbly ask the Playground for help! The group currently consists of a Barbarian (I believe a Primal Path or maybe one of the UA ones), Wizard, and Monk (Open Hand). Our constraints for character building are essentially, no multi-classing and only PHB races.

I've already gone through a Paladin, Fighter, and Rogue (all for either death or organically ready to leave the party).

You have a lot of Melee in that party. It looks like you need support/control. It also looks like you could use a charisma based character for party face. I would play Lore bard. If that is not to your liking, either cleric or druid as said above.

Edit: just beat me with the same advice.

Deox
2017-03-10, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

The player who is now the barbarian was a cleric (death, I think) and the player now playing the wizard was a druid.

I was looking between Cleric / Bard / Warlock / Druid. Not sure if I want to be full on healer, but a buffer / debuffer would be interesting. I also got the "OK" from the DM that UA material is acceptable, which opens up some more possibilities.

Edit: Lore Bard does look interesting. Any thoughts on the Hexblade from UA?
I think I'd narrow it down to Cleric / Bard / Warlock.

Specter
2017-03-10, 11:05 AM
If you're interested in multiclassing, Druid (Land)/Ranger or Cleric (Life/War)/Ranger would let you heal, buff, debuff AND deal damage and be the wilderness guy.

Deadandamnation
2017-03-10, 11:05 AM
A cleric or a druid is the obvious choice for buffs and healing.

I agree with him.

But from my Point of view your party lack a carismatic guy, the social man.

Bard - The best choice imho for healing, supporting, socializing plus he get many skills.

Sorcerer and Warlock can be good too but they are more oriented on the 'i Blast away anything in my path'.

Galadhrim
2017-03-10, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

The player who is now the barbarian was a cleric (death, I think) and the player now playing the wizard was a druid.

I was looking between Cleric / Bard / Warlock / Druid. Not sure if I want to be full on healer, but a buffer / debuffer would be interesting. I also got the "OK" from the DM that UA material is acceptable, which opens up some more possibilities.

Any cleric other than Life is just as good/bad at healing as bard or druid. My tempest cleric was able to fill basically an party position depending on need. healer, buffer/debuffer, control, even dpr when needed.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-10, 11:17 AM
If you're interested in multiclassing, Druid (Land)/Ranger or Cleric (Life/War)/Ranger would let you heal, buff, debuff AND deal damage and be the wilderness guy.

He said the DM has a no muilticlassing rule.

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 11:21 AM
Well, let's break down what you've got to work with.

Barbarian - Its a meat shield
Monk - A solid battlefield controller
Wizard - Arcane magic
You - ???

Here's what you DON'T have:

Healing.

Now, there's a few ways to think about this. Of course, you can say "But being the healing is BORING! I want to KILL THINGS!"

And that's fair. It totally is. But you know who the rest of the party always loves? The healer.

Now, there's lots of ways to be a healer. Tranquility Monk is one way. Good healing there. Life Cleric is another, great healing there. Of course, Lore Bard is solid (I suggest it only if you're post level 6, to poach great spells via Magical Secrets). You can even be a new Favored Soul Sorc and do some solid healing, since you get the whole Cleric spell list and Metamagic. Lots of classes have access to a few healing spells, but they do it the best, I think.

Let's break down the specializations and strengths.

Tranquility Monk - High mobility and offers battlefield control as well with Stunning Strike. Remember, Stunned enemies can't attack. So you're already PREVENTING damage, which is often better than healing after the fact.

Life Cleric - Great healing, and because they heal for more (especially with their Channel Divinity), your resources should go pretty far. Plus access to the whole Cleric list, which isn't bad. Remember, they can swap out spells every long rest, so you can plan for situations.

Lore Bard - Steal the best healing spells from other classes! Get Paladin spells before they do!

New Favored Soul Sorc - Metamagic to extend things like Prayer of Healing is a nice benefit. Though remember, they get a very limited amount of spells known. Choose wisely.

I honestly suggest Life Cleric. I think its healing is top notch, your resources will go far, meaning you can be free to do things besides heal. You get heavy armor so you have high AC so you're able to wade into melee occasionally if you want to do that. Life Clerics don't have to be goody two shoes, golden god boys, either. I've seen Life Clerics portrayed as amazing badasses. See Kashaw Vesh from Critical Role as an example. Love that character.

Remember this, though: PREVENTING damage is always better than healing after the fact. That's very important to remember in this edition. You can seldom heal for more damage than the enemy dished out. Also, that Channel Divinity AoE healing is spectacular, it really is. Get hit with a Fireball? Yeah, you just undid that. And you get that back every short rest. Your Monk friend will love you since he likes short rests anyways, and the Wizard can grant a safe haven for short rests with Leomund's Tiny Hut (a Ritual, so it doesn't even cost a spell slot).

Yeah, you'll be doubling up on the Wisdom between you and the Monk. But no party ever had too much Wisdom. Between your spells and the Wizards, you should also have more than enough to simulate being a 'face', too.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-10, 11:24 AM
I would suggest a ranger beast conclave you get cure wounds and a pet. Pick up the healer feat and invest in a social skill and you have a very well rounded character. That can heal and attack in the same turn thanks to your pet. With the healer feat and cure wounds you can keep your party going. The ranger get a a extra skill so you can pick up a social skill or a few from background to be a pseudo face. You can de a range or melee or just go around using the help action.

Sigreid
2017-03-10, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

Edit: Lore Bard does look interesting. Any thoughts on the Hexblade from UA?
I think I'd narrow it down to Cleric / Bard / Warlock.

Our druid rarely heals, but when we need it, we need it.

Deox
2017-03-10, 11:40 AM
snip

Thanks for the insights.

I should have mentioned I've been playing some iteration of D&D for many years and am very well aware (especially in 3.5) that preventing damage is usually more optimal than restoring damage.

That being said, I think I would like the option to add in some healing, but not as the main role (though I will look into Life Cleric a bit more). I'll also take into consideration the UA Favored Soul, I honestly forgot about that, thanks!

I would suggest a ranger beast conclave

Forgot to mention, I already played an updated Beast Ranger (Halfling riding a panther), so I'd prefer not to go that route, thanks though.

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 11:53 AM
For the best spell list at 'preventing damage', I say it goes to Druid. Though battlefield control can often depend quite a bit on your style of play. I find it works better with grid based as opposed to theater of the mind, so you can capture as many enemies as possible in control effects (difficult terrain, etc). Depending on how your table plays, healing after the fact might actually be superior (As crazy at that sounds).

Though if your DM allows it... I mean, your DM allows UA, so he or she is open to some wiggle room, right...?

Ask about playing a Cleric, but using the Druid spell list. I've heard of people doing it before, and if it helps, Crawford and Mearls have commented on it before via Twitter; They don't find it to be unbalancing.

I think approaching your DM about that is certainly worth a shot.

Deox
2017-03-10, 11:54 AM
After review, I think I've boiled it down to Cleric and Bard.

For Cleric, I'm between Life, Nature and Tempest for Domains.
Bard, I'm really digging the Lore and Glamour (leaning more towards Lore, though Glamour just sounds super full of fluffy goodness).

Any thoughts / comparisons / experiences playing the above?

Deox
2017-03-10, 11:55 AM
For the best spell list at 'preventing damage', I say it goes to Druid. Though battlefield control can often depend quite a bit on your style of play. I find it works better with grid based as opposed to theater of the mind, so you can capture as many enemies as possible in control effects (difficult terrain, etc). Depending on how your table plays, healing after the fact might actually be superior (As crazy at that sounds).

Though if your DM allows it... I mean, your DM allows UA, so he or she is open to some wiggle room, right...?

Ask about playing a Cleric, but using the Druid spell list. I've heard of people doing it before, and if it helps, Crawford and Mearls have commented on it before via Twitter; They don't find it to be unbalancing.

I think approaching your DM about that is certainly worth a shot.

Interesting thought on Cleric with Druid spell list. How exactly would that work? Would you still pick a domain or be locked into, let's say, Nature?

Sigreid
2017-03-10, 11:59 AM
Interesting thought on Cleric with Druid spell list. How exactly would that work? Would you still pick a domain or be locked into, let's say, Nature?

Maybe the land druid spells become your domain spells, use nature domain for your divine intervention?

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 12:01 PM
After review, I think I've boiled it down to Cleric and Bard.

For Cleric, I'm between Life, Nature and Tempest for Domains.
Bard, I'm really digging the Lore and Glamour (leaning more towards Lore, though Glamour just sounds super full of fluffy goodness).

Any thoughts / comparisons / experiences playing the above?

Ooooh, I forgot about Glamour! Glamour is good. No magical secrets, but it has a TON to offer. And on the subject of 'preventing damage', the ability to cast Command as a bonus action every round can be great if you're creative. But I do think the Temp HP from Mantle of Inspiration is a bit... I don't want to call it 'lacking', but I don't see it helping out as much as people might think. I think Lore is superior because of Cutting Words and its other uses for Bardic Inspiration.

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 12:04 PM
For "Cleric with Druid" list, I'd say you maintain your Cleric domain lists. Absolutely NOT locked in to Nature Domain. Though if your DM agrees but forced you to take a 'Land Circle' spell list as your 'Domain List', that is often even better for you! Swamp and Grassland are both excellent choices! You'd be a Life Cleric with its stellar Channel Divinity with access to Greater Invisibility, one of the best spells in the game. What's not to love there? Heck, you could go Mountain with Tempest at that point and maximize Lightning Bolt :smallbiggrin:

Deox
2017-03-10, 12:13 PM
Got the nix on Cleric w/ Druid spell list (sadness). I was actually thinking the same thing regarding Mountain + Tempest.

I think I may be defaulting to Life or Tempest Cleric now.

Assuming a 27 Point Buy, any advice on how to go?

jaappleton
2017-03-10, 12:21 PM
Got the nix on Cleric w/ Druid spell list (sadness). I was actually thinking the same thing regarding Mountain + Tempest.

I think I may be defaulting to Life or Tempest Cleric now.

Assuming a 27 Point Buy, any advice on how to go?

It really depends if you want to go into melee or not. If your DM nixed the concept of swapping the spell list, you can still ask to switch your lv8 ability. So either "1d8 weapon attack damage" or "+Wis Mod to cantrip damage".

Even on Domains with the "+1d8 to weapon attacks", I still like to stay at range. Even if I'm in the back, with even Medium armor Domains, I can still act as a last line of defense to the squishier casters.

So with that in mind, I typically go Hill Dwarf and pump Wis and Con. I'd go Dex with your remaining points regardless, since as a Dwarf, you can ignore the Strength requirements of using Heavy Armor.

Deox
2017-03-10, 01:06 PM
Looking at Hill Dwarf, pumping Wisdom and Con, possibly being able to swing a free* feat for Magic Initiate - shillelagh, druidcraft and possibly goodberry.