PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find rules on how to use an Hexagonal Grid?

Red Bear
2017-03-10, 11:36 AM
I'm playing pathfinder but any d20 system ruleset should work

exelsisxax
2017-03-10, 11:41 AM
Generally, hexes are 5'.

/rules

But seriously, that's it. It's a grid, but with hexes instead of squares. Rules governing diagonals are dumped, because they're fixed by the grid already. Instead of being annoyed by 60* cones, 60* cones are great and 90* cones are annoying.

tedcahill2
2017-03-10, 11:50 AM
I'm playing pathfinder but any d20 system ruleset should work

Not sure what you mean by "how to use" the grid. It's largely the same as using a square grid, except that straight lines are harder and diagonals are easier.

Red Bear
2017-03-10, 12:43 PM
Not sure what you mean by "how to use" the grid. It's largely the same as using a square grid, except that straight lines are harder and diagonals are easier.

Well I can't think of much before using it, but I'm sure some issues are gonna come up, for example how many hexagons do large and huge creatures occupy?

Zancloufer
2017-03-10, 12:55 PM
There where rules and diagrams in the DMG and PHB iirc. Also the SRD has an entire section on Hex Grids:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/hexGrid.htm

Though it's not really a variant rule, just the SRD seems to have it in that category for some reason.

Particle_Man
2017-03-10, 10:55 PM
The other thing to note is that instead of getting 8 mooks around your Hero (or 8 pcs around the BBEG) you now only get 6. Usually not an issue. ;)

Milo v3
2017-03-11, 04:53 AM
Though it's not really a variant rule, just the SRD seems to have it in that category for some reason.
It's listed as a variant rules because it is from the Unearthed Arcana book, which is a book of variant rules.

Dunsparce
2017-03-11, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know how cubical-area spells, like Order's Wrath, work on a Hex grid?

Particle_Man
2017-03-11, 11:12 AM
It might look like a big sphere of order?

Kind of the reverse of 4e where fireballs are actually fire cubes?

Zancloufer
2017-03-11, 11:40 AM
It's listed as a variant rules because it is from the Unearthed Arcana book, which is a book of variant rules.

Huh. Quick flip through my DMG/PHB does actually seem to confirm this. Apparently they didn't think to add rules for Hex Grids by default.

Does anyone know how cubical-area spells, like Order's Wrath, work on a Hex grid?

It would be quite simple IMHO. Just choose one hex to be the corner. Move x hexs in two perpendicular directions (6 in the case of a 30ft cube). Then after that, make a 90 degree turn so they meet on the opposite side. Boom a roughly 30x30ft cube. It's not 100% square, but it has the same surface area and the shape averages out right. Really making squares/rectangles are only really big issues when it's less than 15ft per side AND you are trying to be super precise.

Red Bear
2017-03-13, 01:12 PM
Thanks to everyone! :)