PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Radiant Soul – a class based entirely on LIGHT (PEACH)

nonsi
2017-03-10, 11:38 AM

For a long time now I've been wanting to explore the possibility of making a functional class that revolves purely around light.
Several weeks ago, I stumbled upon the Quesar (BoED, p.180)... Then I saw gooddragon1's Radiant Blade class, and that was the final trigger here.

The aim is a strong T3 class.

HD: d6

Table: The Radiant Soul

Saves
LevelBABFRWSpecial
1st+0+0+2+2Nimbus of Light, Spellcasting
2nd+1+0+3+3Deflecting Radiance
3rd+2+1+3+3—
4th+3+1+4+4Radiant Gaze
5th+3+1+4+4Silent Spell
6th+4+2+5+5Sustaining Radiance
7th+5+2+5+5—
8th+6+2+6+6Solar Nimbus
9th+6+3+6+6Still Spell
10th+7+3+7+7Revitalizing Radiance
11th+8+3+7+7—
12th+9+4+8+8Ride The Light
13th+9+4+8+8Enlarge Spell
14th+10+4+9+9Extraordinary Radiance
15th+11+5+9+9—
16th+12+5+10+10Blinding Radiance
17th+12+5+10+10—
18th+13+6+11+11Radiant Form
19th+14+6+11+11Widen Spell
20th+15+6+12+12Being of Light

Class Skills: Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Sense Motive, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, and Survival.
Skill Points Per Level: 4 + Int modifier
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Radiant souls are proficient with all simple light and 1-handed melee weapons. Radiant souls gain no proficiency with armor or shields.

Nimbus of Light (Su)
A glittering corona of sunlight-like illumination surrounds your body.
The nimbus of light around you glows like a lantern, providing bright illumination in a 30' radius (and shadowy illumination for an additional 30').
As an attack action, you can coalesce light energy around your outstretched arm and fling it toward a foe within 60'. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike a target. This form of attack deals 1d8 points of damage +1 point per Radiant Soul level.
For the purpose of gaining multiple attacks from your Nimbus of Light, you count BAB gained only from your Radiant Soul levels, ignoring racial HD, template HD and levels in other classes.
This ability may be turned on an off at will.
You may "light up" when attempting to demoralize someone and gain +2 to your Intimidate check.

Spellcasting
Radiant souls cast arcane spells drawn from a specialized list of light-based spells. A radiant soul knows all Radiant Soul spells upon gaining access to their appropriate level.
The save DC vs. Radiant Soul spells, as well as bonus spells are both Cha-based.
Spells gained as Radiant Soul require no material components, even if they usually do when gained by other classes.
SL and daily spell capacity equals that of the core Wizard.

Radiant Soul Spells:

0 SL
Candlelight: You cause an object to glow like a candle, shedding light in a 5-foot radius from the point you touch.
Dancing Lights: Creates torches or other lights.
Light: Object shines like a torch.

1st SL
Color Spray: Knocks unconscious, blinds, and/or stuns weak creatures.
Dawn Burst (CM, p.101)
Ghost Light (OA)
Guiding Light (SC, p.108)
Luminous Gaze (SC, p.135)

2nd SL
City Lights (RoD, p.164)
Continual Flame: Makes a permanent, heatless torch.
Glitterdust: Blinds creatures, outlines invisible creatures.
Moonbeam (SC, p.144)
Rainbow Beam (SC, p.165)
Scorching Ray: Ranged touch attack deals 4d6 fire damage, +1 ray/four levels (max 3).

3rd SL
Daylight: 60-ft. radius of bright light.
Flashburst (FrCS, p.70)
Moonlight *
Rainbow Blast (SC, p.165)
Searing Light: Ray deals 1d8/two levels damage, more against undead.
Vision of the Omniscient Eye (DrMg, p.74)
Wall of Light (SC, p.134)

4th SL
Aura of the Sun (LEoF, p.30)
Battlefield Illumination (Heroes of Battle)
Blistering Radiance (SpC, p.33)
Celestial Brilliance (BoED, p. 94)
Fire Shield: Creatures attacking you take fire damage; you’re protected from heat or cold.
Rainbow Pattern: Lights fascinate 24 HD of creatures.

5th SL
Curtain of Light (BoED, p.96)
Dawn Shroud (Champions of Valor, p.54)
Lucent Lance (SC, p.134)
Prismatic Ray (Carc, p.118)
X-Ray Vision *

6th SL
Anger of the Noonday Sun (SC, p.11)
Crown of Brilliance (BoED, p.95)
Disintegrate: Makes one creature or object vanish.
Sun Scepter (LEoF, p.34): If you're chaotic, your Sun Scepter counts as anarchic instead of axiomatic. If you're neither lawful nor chaotic, you must choose among the two upon ganing 11th Radiant Soul level. This choice cannot be changed later on.

7th SL
Brilliant Blade (SC, p.40)
Prismatic Spray: Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
Radiant Assault (SC, p. 164 – sightless creatures still take damage)
Tomb of Light (BoED, p.110)

8th SL
Brilliant Aura (SC, p.39)
Prismatic Wall: Wall’s colors have array of effects.
Scintillating Pattern: Twisting colors confuse, stun, or render unconscious.
Sunburst: causes a globe of searing radiance to explode silently from a point

9th SL
Deadly Sunstroke: (CMag, p.)
Prismatic Sphere: As prismatic wall, but surrounds on all sides.
Moonfire (SC, p.144)

Moonlight
Divination
Level: Druid 3, Mage 3, Priest 3, Radiant Soul 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Object touched
Duration: 24 hours (D)
The object touched sheds dim light in a 60' sphere.
Lycanthropes that enter the AoE are affected as if it were a night of full moon.
Darkvision operates normally in an area illuminated exclusively

X-Ray Vision
Divination
Level: Mage 5, Radiant Soul 5
Components: V, S,M
Casting Time: One standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
You can see into and through solid matter.
At a range of 20', you can see as if you were looking at something in normal light—even if there is none.
X-ray vision can penetrate matter based on the type of material and your caster level; see the table below.
It’s possible to scan an area of up to 100 square feet (e.g. a stone wall 10' wide and 10' high) per round.
You're 90% likely to locate secret compartments, drawers, recesses, and doors when scanning with X-ray vision.
Note to DMs: This spell replaces true seeing as the prereq for the ring of X-ray vision.
Material Component: A small piece of glass.

Thickness* Maximum
Substance Scanned Per Round Thickness
==================================================
Organic matter (animal) 2' / 5-levels 2' / level
Organic matter (vegetable) 1' / 5-levels 2' / level
Stone 6" / 5-levels 1' / level
Iron, steel, and so on 1/2" / 5-levels 1" / level
Lead, gold, platinum Cannot penetrate N/A

* Thickness penetrated per round of X-raying

Deflecting Radiance (Su)
At 2nd level, your Nimbus of Light gains partial tangibility where it touches your flesh. You gain deflection bonus to AC equal to your Cha-bonus, capped by your Radiant Soul level.
This deflection increases by +1 for each 3 Radiant Soul levels you possess.
This bonus is lost when your Nimbus of Light is disabled.

Radiant Gaze (Su)
At 4th level, a radiant soul's eyes may shed illumination in a 120' cone, 30' wide at its far end, towards anywhere the character point his attention, enabling the character and all other observers to see perfectly in darkness. This illumination penetrates any darkness effect equal to (or lower than) the character's highest SL accessible (e.g. at 5th Radiant Soul level, that character's gaze suppresses Deeper Darkness effect).
For each 3 levels passes 4th, the range of Radiant Gaze increases by 60', and your eyesight improves accordingly.
While this ability is active, you gain a bonus on Search checks equal to your level.
This ability cannot be use while you're threatened or distracted.

Silent Spell
At 5th level, you may cast any Radiant Soul spell you know as if the Silent Spell feat was applied to it – w/o suffering SL increase or spellcasting time increase.

Sustaining Radiance (Ex)
At 6th level, a radiant soul's energy sustains him in his endeavors.
As long as Nimbus of Light is on, the radiant soul only needs to eat and drink once per week and requires only 1 hour of sleep to be fully rested (gaining the benefit of 8 hours of rest), and 10 minutes of rest to gain the benefit of 1 hour of rest (such as to remove the exhausted condition).
Furthermore, the radiant soul cannot be magically exhausted, fatigued, dehydrated, or famished.
Finally, you gain SR [12 + Radiant Soul level] vs. spells and effects with the [Light], [Color], [Prismatic], [Darkness] or [Shadow] descriptor, as well as gaze attacks. You may will a spell to penetrate this resistance if you so choose.

Solar Nimbus (Su)
Starting at 8th level, your Nimbus of Light intensifies to mimic the effect of Daylight spell.
When using this power to attack, the range increases to 120', the damage increases to [2d8 + Brilliant Soul level] and targets hit must succeed a Fort save vs. DC [10 + 1/2 Radiant Soul level + Cha-bonus] or be affected by Faerie Fire spell effect. You may apply the Faerie Fire spell effect w/o dealing damage, in which case the save DC is increased by +5.
You may diminish the effect to that of Nimbus of Light, but this also diminishes you offensive capabilities to match.
When you "light up" to Solar Nimbus strength as part of demoralize attempt, gain +4 to your Intimidate check. If you intensify you illumination from Nimbus of Light to Solar Nimbus, you gain +2.

Still Spell
At 9th level, you may cast any Radiant Soul spell you know as if the Still Spell feat was applied to it – w/o suffering SL increase or spellcasting time increase.

Revitalizing Radiance (Su)
Starting at 10th level, radiance now sustains you to greater effect, provided Solar Nimbus ability is active.
First, the light that burns within keeps the radiant soul pure of polluting agents, granting immunity to poison and disease.
Second, the radiant soul needs not eat, or drink.
Third, you become immune to spells and effects with the [Light], [Color], [Prismatic], [Darkness] or [Shadow] descriptor, as well as gaze attacks. You may will a spell to penetrate this resistance if you so choose.
Finally, you gain slow regeneration, recovering 1 HP per minute. This also recovers lost body parts.

Ride The Light (Su)
At 12th level, you gain the ability to travel on beams of light.
Once every 5 rounds, as a move action, you may teleport anywhere within a distance no greater than the range of your Radiant Gaze ability, provided that the target location is within line of sight (but not necessarily line of effect).

Enlarge Spell
At 13th level, you may cast any Radiant Soul spell you know as if the Enlarge Spell feat was applied to it – w/o suffering SL increase or spellcasting time increase.

Extraordinary Radiance
Starting at 14th level, all your Radiant Soul class abilities become (Ex) abilities.

Blinding Radiance (Ex)
At 16th level, all your Nimbus of Light improves for the last time
At will, you may increase the brightness of your Nimbus of Light so that it radiates brilliant light to a radius of 30', with Daylight illumination out to 60' and shadowy illumination out to 120'. Any creature within 30' must make a Fort save vs. DC [15 + Cha-bonus] or be blinded for 2d4 rounds.
When using this power to attack, the range increases to 240', the damage increases to [2d8 + 2 / Brilliant Soul level] and targets hit must succeed a Fort save vs. DC [10 + 1/2 Radiant Soul level + Cha-bonus] or be affected by Daylight spell effect. You may apply the Daylight spell effect w/o dealing damage, in which case the save DC is increased by +5. You may now apply the Faerie Fire spell effect w/o dealing damage, in which case the save DC is increased by +10.
You may diminish the effect to that of Solar Nimbus or Nimbus of Light, but this also diminishes you offensive capabilities to match.
While your nimbus is at Blinding Radiance strength, you may trigger Ride The Light as a swift or immediate action.
When you "light up" to Blinding Radiance strength as part of demoralize attempt, gain +6 to your Intimidate check. If you intensify you illumination from Nimbus of Light to Blinding radiance, you gain +4. If you intensify you illumination from Solar Nimbus to Blinding radiance, you gain +2.

Radiant Form (https://lisagawlas.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/crystalline-output.jpg) (Ex) (D)
Starting at 18th level, you may become pure energy, gaining the Incorporeal template for a total number of daily minutes equal to your Cha-bonus.
You gain Fly speed of 120' with perfect maneuverability and regenerate at a rate of 5 HP / round.
Your Cha replaces your Con for determining your extra HP gained from leveling.
Becoming incorporeal takes a standard action that provokes AoOs and requires Blinding Radiance ability to be active.
While assuming Radiant Form, you may lower your illumination down to Nimbus of light, losing none of your offensive capabilities.
Radiant Form is unaffected by attacks based on heat, cold, electricity, acid or sound.

Widen Spell
At 19th level, you may cast any Radiant Soul spell you know as if the Widen Spell feat was applied to it – w/o suffering SL increase or spellcasting time increase.

Being of Light
At level 20, you shed your mortal body, forever becoming an incorporeal entity of light.
You become an ageless native outsider immune to aging effects, losing whatever age penalties you might possess and never dying of old age.
Your Fly speed increases to 240'.
You may reclaim your material body (D) for a total number of daily minutes equal to your Cha-bonus. Materializing takes a move action that doesn't provoke AoOs.

Acronyms:

- AoE: Area of Effect
- BoED: Book of Exalted Deeds
- CMag: Complete Mage
- DrMg: Dragon Magic
- HD: Hit Dice
- HoB: Heroes of Battle
- LEoF: Lost Empires of Faerûn
- RoD: Races of Destiny
- OA: Oriental Adventures
- SC: Spell Compendium
- SR: Spell Resistance

nikkoli
2017-03-11, 12:44 AM
Extraordinary Radiance makes your spell casting EX, so they get to swap all the DC to 10+1/2 lvl+ cha. I feel like that's not the point, but as its written they do become ex.

The saves for blinding radiance and solar nimbus are listed at 10+ lvl+ stat in surah odd 10 +1/2 level+ stat.

remetagross
2017-03-11, 12:58 AM
Not too bad - but I second nikkoli on that save DC issue.

Beware, you got two abilities at level 14, might as well spread them out a little to avoid dead levels.

No alignment restriction? I would have said Good only.

I suppose bonus spells for a high ability score are based on Cha but you didn't explicitely write it.

I really like the idea of full casting off of a very narrow spell list. However, Overland Flight and Disintegrate seems a bit out of place, and while you got numerous moon-based spells, there are no Sunburst or Flam Strike.

nonsi
2017-03-11, 01:27 AM
Extraordinary Radiance makes your spell casting EX, so they get to swap all the DC to 10+1/2 lvl+ cha. I feel like that's not the point, but as its written they do become ex.

AFAIK, individual spells never count as class abilities (not even for classes that grant access to their entire list).
How would you suggest rewriting it to avoid misunderstanding?

The saves for blinding radiance and solar nimbus are listed at 10+ lvl+ stat in surah odd 10 +1/2 level+ stat.

Absolutely right. That was an unintentional error. Fixed.

nonsi
2017-03-11, 01:56 AM
Beware, you got two abilities at level 14, might as well spread them out a little to avoid dead levels.

1. I don't see how Extraordinary Radiance constitutes two abilities. AFAICT it's not an ability at all, just a change in status of other abilities.
2. There are no dead levels. Any level w/o listed features grants access to new SLs and new spells.

No alignment restriction? I would have said Good only.

Think about a radiant soul as someone aspiring to become a being of energy. That doesn't necessarily spell out "Alignment" to me.
There's nothing holy associated with this class. Any effect that has greater affect over unded is due to it being [Light] associated.
Even the spellcasting is arcane and not divine.

I suppose bonus spells for a high ability score are based on Cha but you didn't explicitely write it.

Fixed.

I really like the idea of full casting off of a very narrow spell list. However, Overland Flight and Disintegrate seems a bit out of place, and while you got numerous moon-based spells, there are no Sunburst or Flam Strike.

You're absolutely right about Overland Flight. Removed. I was added during the assembly of the list and was supposed to go away during trimming time. I just missed it.
As I mentioned in the intro, this all started from encountering the Quesar. Disintegrate is actually more energy-oriented than anything else.

remetagross
2017-03-11, 04:38 AM
Ah, ok. You wrote in the text that Blinding Radiance was gained at level 14, while the table says 16. So it seemed two abilities at level 14 when I was reading the text.

Fair enough for the alignment, that is not a bad idea at all. Do not that it's a bit contrary to how D&D handles Evil energy users, who tend to manipulate negative energy. See Evil Clerics, planes with the Negative Energy trait that are found in the Abyss, etc.

nonsi
2017-03-11, 10:48 AM
Ah, ok. You wrote in the text that Blinding Radiance was gained at level 14, while the table says 16. So it seemed two abilities at level 14 when I was reading the text.

Right. Fixed. Thanks.

Fair enough for the alignment, that is not a bad idea at all. Do not that it's a bit contrary to how D&D handles Evil energy users, who tend to manipulate negative energy. See Evil Clerics, planes with the Negative Energy trait that are found in the Abyss, etc.

I'm well aware that Positive and Good are naturally associated with light, but my standpoint is that [Light] can stand alone. Beings of energy are not necessarily good, and my instinct says that they'd probably have tendency towards chaos.

XionUnborn01
2017-03-11, 07:45 PM
For the base nimbus of light ability, I think you should simply write out all of the abilities instead of saying it's like the spell, just list what it gives them.

It's easier for people reading it to know exactly what it does and it saves time for people having to figure out the differences.

JNAProductions
2017-03-11, 07:57 PM
I'm a bit leery of two things:

One, Extraordinary EVERYTHING.

Two, changing into a new being as a capstone. Sucks for Monks, might suck here.

More than that, what can this do besides fight, with some minor exploration?

nonsi
2017-03-11, 11:21 PM
For the base nimbus of light ability, I think you should simply write out all of the abilities instead of saying it's like the spell, just list what it gives them.

It's easier for people reading it to know exactly what it does and it saves time for people having to figure out the differences.

You're right. I'll take care of that later on today.

nonsi
2017-03-11, 11:44 PM
One, Extraordinary EVERYTHING.

That "Everything" you're talking about doesn't amout to a lot AFAICT.
- Illumination
- Base form of attack
- Some measure of AC
- Self sustenance (6th)
- Immunity to impurities and to the source of your own power, as well as some minor recovery (10th)
- Limited teleportation (12th)
- Incorporeality (18th)
The down sides of this class are:
- No use of armor/shields/weapons and whatever magical benefits those might provide.
- Not having protective spells of any sort.
- Being as subtle as a hand granade that goes off.

Basically, what Extraordinary Radiance means is that the character can maintain basic level of functionality w/o being susceptible to be totally reduced to the sum of abilities of a 1st level commoner.

Two, changing into a new being as a capstone. Sucks for Monks, might suck here.

1. Perpetual incorporeality
2. Immortality
3. Fly 240' + perfect maneuverability as an incorporeal entity == constantly having unparalleled freedom.

Seems significantly more beneficial than Perfetc Self to me.

More than that, what can this do besides fight, with some minor exploration?

I gave this class everything I could conjure to mind that will be in theme.
- I couldn't excuse to myself any other class skills. Glowing all/most of the time isn't very impressive and doesn't leave much room for subtlety (Bluff/Gather Information/Intimidate). Manipulating gear seems out of context (Disable Device/Open Locks/Use Rope/ UMD). Movement skills are even harder to excuse.
- I didn't find any other appropriate spells... other than [Light] spells that are also associated with positive energy or completely out of theme.
- The class seems to be getting all the basic abilities it needs to function.

If you think of other skills/spells/features that are required and could fit the bill, by all means, do share.

neriractor
2017-03-12, 11:57 AM
- I couldn't excuse to myself any other class skills. Glowing all/most of the time isn't very impressive and doesn't leave much room for subtlety (Bluff/Gather Information/Intimidate). Manipulating gear seems out of context (Disable Device/Open Locks/Use Rope/ UMD). Movement skills are even harder to excuse.

gotta disagree there, a flying humanoid made out of light can be pretty damn intimidating.

nonsi
2017-03-12, 12:24 PM
gotta disagree there, a flying humanoid made out of light can be pretty damn intimidating.

I get what you're saying, but flight doesn't kick in until a radiant soul hits level 18.
I could add flight to Ride The Light, but it seems like a different ability altogether... and then, it's still as late as 12th level.

[Edit]: Ok, I found a reasoning behind having Intimidate as class skill and actually incorporate Intimidate enhancements into Nimbus of Light ability.

nonsi
2017-03-24, 10:12 AM
I need some feedbacks here.

I was thinking for the passed few days of one last feature for this class and I wish to know if there's a risk of it turning out OP.

Lightburst (Su):
Starting at 3rd level, once per day, a radiant soul may discharge one instantaneous Radiant Soul spell as a swift action, as long as the chosen spell belongs to a spell level lower than the highest Radiant Soul SL available to him.
Example: a 5th level radiant soul has access to 3rd level Radiant Soul spells. Therefore, he may once per day discharge Color Spray, Rainbow Beam or Scorching Ray as a swift action.
For each 4 levels passed 3rd, you gain one additional daily use of this ability.

Anybody notices balance issues here?