PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Good fire-and-forget cleric spells?

Blu
2017-03-10, 11:57 AM
So to one of my tables i have a Cleric 6/Radiant servant of pelor 2, Human saint with VoP.
Domains: Sun, Heal

With VoP, my damage falls a little behind other players, with weapons enchantments, besides no items.

So i was looking for spells that can contribute to damage and don't need the full commitment of concentration, like Spiritual weapon, that can help me contribute to damage. Do you guys have any sugestion on good pic of spells that can help me?

Edit: Btw, the table is 3.5

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-10, 12:00 PM
So to one of my tables i have a Cleric 6/Radiant servant of pelor 2, Human saint with VoP.

With VoP, my damage falls a little behind other players, with weapons enchantments, besides no items.

So i was looking for spells that can contribute to damage and don't need the full commitment of concentration, like Spiritual weapon, that can help me contribute to damage. Do you guys have any sugestion on good pic of spells that can help me?

Flame Strike is always a good bet.

Crake
2017-03-10, 12:07 PM
Flame Strike is always a good bet.

on an 8th level cleric, flame strike doesn't really seem like a great suggestion... you know, since he can't actually cast it or anything.

Inevitability
2017-03-10, 12:20 PM
Summon Monster, perhaps?

Blu
2017-03-10, 12:48 PM
Summon Monster, perhaps?

Is a viable option, but 1 round casting time can hurt a little...

flappeercraft
2017-03-10, 01:06 PM
Inflict Critical wounds isn't a bad choice tbh. At CL 8 it deals an average of 26 damage while Flame Strike at CL 8 (It can be done but with a druid) deals an average of 28 damage with Reflex for 1/2 damage although it does not do area damage like Flame Strike does

Blu
2017-03-10, 01:18 PM
Inflict Critical wounds isn't a bad choice tbh. At CL 8 it deals an average of 26 damage while Flame Strike at CL 8 (It can be done but with a druid) deals an average of 28 damage with Reflex for 1/2 damage although it does not do area damage like Flame Strike does

I'm a saint NG cleric, so inflict wounds is off the table.

Edit: Forgot that Inflict seplls are not [Evil] so they are okay.
But still, the option seems a little sub-par. A 4th level spell for average 28 damage is kinda of bad. I could do better with sound lance for 36 average damage on a ranged touch attack. My point was to have good spells that could do some damage over time, that's why i gave the Spiritual weapon example. Sorry if i didn't make it clear in the post.

ATHATH
2017-03-10, 01:30 PM
Inflict Critical Wounds also requires a touch attack and a Will Save halves its damage. Mastery of Day and Night might help improve that, but it's a bit too much of a feat investment if you're not making a build dedicated to it, IMO.

LieblingFauk
2017-03-10, 02:01 PM
Cloud of Daggers PHPII is an additional source of damage each round for rounds/level not unlike Spiritual Weapon

Blistering Radiance CA is another pretty cool option with radiant servant as it is a light descriptor spell that has its radius doubled by your class feature, but it can cause collateral damage, and it is not that much damage per level 2d6 fort save for half a round.

Blu
2017-03-10, 02:18 PM
Cloud of Daggers PHPII is an additional source of damage each round for rounds/level not unlike Spiritual Weapon

Blistering Radiance CA is another pretty cool option with radiant servant as it is a light descriptor spell that has its radius doubled by your class feature, but it can cause collateral damage, and it is not that much damage per level 2d6 fort save for half a round.

You mean Cloud of knives? Sounds like a good spell besides the RD part.

Blistering radiance is on my radar also, but it's a lvl 5 spell. I was thinking when i level up on using with combination of Resist energy, mass on my party to do a little damage and force saves every turn. I just now saw the combo with radiant servant... 100ft. radius sounds like reasonable for horde control... Might also add that radiance raises it's effective spell level to 6, meaning +1 DC and the saint hability makes it +2 DC for a total of +3 DC. With my +6 WIS that's 24 DC fortitude, not to shabby.

GilesTheCleric
2017-03-10, 04:09 PM
These all seem like spells you don't need to think about too hard once they're cast.

Blessed Aim
Divine Favor
Drug Resistance
Magic Weapon
Sign
Light of Lunia

Benediction
Brambles
Blade Brothers
Elation
Insight of Good Fortune
Interfaith Blessing
Light of Mercuria
Sound Burst
Fuse Arms
Master Cavalier

Alter Fortune
Blade of Pain and Fear
Curse of the Brute
Fell the Greatest Foe
Girallon's Blessing
Laogzed's Breath
Light of Venya
Nauseating Breath
Skeletal Hand
Sonorous Hum
Venomfire
Anarchic/ Axiomatic Storm
Checkmate's Light
Crown of Smiting
Light of Wisdom
Touch of Blibdoolpoolp
Vision of the Omniscient Eye

Battlearms
Boccob's Rolling Cloud
Divine Power
Holy Transformation, Lesser
Recitation
Venom Bolt
Yochlol Blessing
Consumptive Field
Pronouncement of Fate

Dagroth
2017-03-10, 04:23 PM
Clerics aren't about causing spell damage... that's WarMages.

Blu
2017-03-10, 05:00 PM
Clerics aren't about causing spell damage... that's WarMages.

Direct damage and burst damage spells are certainly a no. But there is some of them that can help

Gullintanni
2017-03-10, 08:36 PM
Seconding Cloud of Knives. Especially Persistent, Fell Draining Clouds of Knives. At level 8, I'd settle for Extend, Fell Draining.

Blu
2017-03-11, 08:45 AM
Seconding Cloud of Knives. Especially Persistent, Fell Draining Clouds of Knives. At level 8, I'd settle for Extend, Fell Draining.

A very insteresting choice. Sadly i don't have fell draining, only extend :smallfrown:
Because of the feats for VoP and Extraturning for Radiant servant, just now i'm going in the DMM[Persist] route and i'm only going to get DMM at level 12.

Fizban
2017-03-11, 11:35 AM
Ring of Blades, if your healing works at range (you do have ranged healing, don't you?). Holy Storm. Blade of Blood (targeting adjacent ally's weapon). Blessing of the Righteous. Conjure Ice Beast, Lesser Aura of Cold, Boreal Wind. Haboob.

Rerednaw
2017-03-11, 12:08 PM

Edit: Btw, the table is 3.5

Well your build is heal / support. Do you have Divine Metamagic? Persistent Divine Power + Divine Favor, throw on Luminous Armor and you can do respectably in melee even with a quarterstaff / club which VoP does allow.

Alternatively buffing is a very good concentration-free way to contribute to damage without overshining other party members. Even a simple Bless spell can turn that 30 hp whiff by the fighter into a hit.

Of course if u ever run into undead you are an encounter ending soloist...what's the rest of the party builds/makeup?

noce
2017-03-11, 01:31 PM
Blade of Blood (PHB II): 1st level, cast as swift action
+1d6 damage on your next attack, or +3d6 if you sacrifice 5 hp.

Crown of Might (PHB II): 3rd level, lasts 1 hour/lvl
+2 enhancement bonus to STR, useful since you have Vow of Poverty.
(Note though that the stat bonuses granted by Vow of Poverty are enhancements, too, so if you did pick STR it won't stack)

Fuse Arms (SpC): 2nd level, lasts 10 min/lvl
Fuses your arms, granting a STR bonus.

Hamatula Barbs (SpC): 3rd level, lasts 10 min/lvl
Anyone that hits the target of this spell takes 1d8 damage, cast it on your fellow Big Stupid Fighter.

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-11, 09:02 PM
on an 8th level cleric, flame strike doesn't really seem like a great suggestion... you know, since he can't actually cast it or anything.

True but he's one level away and Sun is a Pelor domain.

gooddragon1
2017-03-11, 09:05 PM
True but he's one level away and Sun is a Pelor domain.

Ice axe is nice for dealing damage.