PDA

View Full Version : Questions on stat allocation regarding multi class PCs

BlackCoatedMan
2017-03-10, 11:58 AM
So far I've researched that for multi classing, it is quite simple. At least for the Barbarian multi classing with Fighter and vice-versa, even if most people have told me that multi classing those two specific classes are pointless outside of RP and fluff. Things got a little more questionable for me when I took a look at multi classing the Barbarian with the Druid, and multi classing the Fighter with the Warlock.

For the sake of argument. Let's say you have 1 good stat, 2 ok stats, and 3 weak stats. Namely 18, 14, 14, 10, 10, 10. How would you distribute the stats?

As a Barbarian I'd go for Str 18, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10. But as a Druid I'd go for Str 10, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14. Going by the suggestions I've seen, the "Bearbarian" starts out as a level 1 barbarian then taking 2 levels in Druid. Seeing as the point of this specific multi class is to rage in bear form I'd go for the Druid star distribution as your Str, Dex, and Con are replaced while in wild shape. This does lead me with a problem. Before level 3 without wild shape, the PC seems too weak as he'd have a +0 on damage with the greataxe.

As a Fighter I'd go for Str 18, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10. But as a Warlock I'd go for Str 10, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14. Going by the suggestions I've seen, starting two levels in Fighter are for the AC and the action surge. After taking two levels in Fighter, you go Warlock all the way. That being the case, I'd go for the Warlock stat distribution. This does lead me with a problem. Before level 3 without eldritch blast, the PC seems to weak as he'd have a +0 on damage with his melee weapon.

Am I doing this wrong? Or do I just have to have rolled really good stats to play these builds?

Iamcreative
2017-03-10, 12:07 PM
Multiclassing tends to pick and choose the features you want/get so sometimes you will have unoptimised stats early.
For example the warlock/fighter build will probably want a 10,14,14,10,10,18 (for str,dex,con,wis,int,cha) and to use a dex weapon until you pick up warlock (assuming hexblade so then cha becomes your weapon stat) or to put the 18 in str and not rely on spells or invocations with saves.
Similarly the druid build would probably want the 18 in wisdom. That leaves you able to put the 14s in str and con be more effective early. Or put them in mental stats since youll be a bear, and just be less effective before you get wildshape.

Basically it is just a choice you have to make when you think about multiclassing.

Edit: I should say that you do tend to reach level 3 fairly quick (usually) and so it wont be long before youre 'online' with these builds even if youre not effective for the first few sessions.

Flashy
2017-03-10, 12:09 PM
You also have to have at least a 13 strength to multiclass in or out of barbarian, along with a 13 wisdom to multiclass in or out of druid.

BlackCoatedMan
2017-03-10, 12:16 PM
You also have to have at least a 13 strength to multiclass in or out of barbarian, along with a 13 wisdom to multiclass in or out of druid.

Oh I missed that when skimming through the Player's Handbook. What pages are those?

Edit: I should say that you do tend to reach level 3 fairly quick (usually) and so it wont be long before youre 'online' with these builds even if youre not effective for the first few sessions.

For me, it doesn't seem to be fairly quickly. Going by the milestone system, I won't be level 3 until I reach Thundertree in Mines of Phandelver, and I won't be level 3 until I reach the Hachery in Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

GlenSmash!
2017-03-10, 12:21 PM

This what people often forget. You can't start out as a Barbarian with 10 Strength and Multiclass into anything else. You need the 13 in Strength to Multiclass out of Barbarian too. That's the tricky Part.

As far as Multiclassing Fighter/Barbarian I think it's great! Fighter X/Barb 3 and Barb X/ Fighter 3 are both great options. Just make sure to take one class straight to level 5 to get Extra Attack as soon as possible before multiclassing, otherwise you may feel like you lagged behind other characters getting their big boost at 5th level

So if I were doing it, I'd take 5 levels in Fighter and the 2 in Barbarian for Reckless attack and then Either go for Barb 3 to get the sublcass ability, or Fighter 6 for the ASI.

Or if going primarily Barbarian, I would go to Barb five, and then Fighter 2 to get Action Surge. Then you have the choice of barb 6 for the next subclass feature or Fighter 3 for the Champions Expanded Crit range or the Battle master's superiority Dice. Id personally go Fighter.

BlackCoatedMan
2017-03-10, 12:35 PM
This what people often forget. You can't start out as a Barbarian with 10 Strength and Multiclass into anything else. You need the 13 in Strength to Multiclass out of Barbarian too. That's the tricky Part.

As far as Multiclassing Fighter/Barbarian I think it's great! Fighter X/Barb 3 and Barb X/ Fighter 3 are both great options. Just make sure to take one class straight to level 5 to get Extra Attack as soon as possible before multiclassing, otherwise you may feel like you lagged behind other characters getting their big boost at 5th level

That's the 2nd person telling me of multi class requirements, oh boy that's not gonna be fun telling the GM that...

As for any of the Fighter X/ Barbarian X options, do you have any numbers on that? Noting from a lot of people that have been my GM, they've constantly told me that you pretty much lose as much as you gain in terms of abilities by multi classing. Some even suggest you even lose out a bit by multi classing the Barbarian and the Fighter. Especially the fighter. And apparently it becomes easier to see in higher levels.

Iamcreative
2017-03-10, 12:45 PM
That's the 2nd person telling me of multi class requirements, oh boy that's not gonna be fun telling the GM that...

As for any of the Fighter X/ Barbarian X options, do you have any numbers on that? Noting from a lot of people that have been my GM, they've constantly told me that you pretty much lose as much as you gain in terms of abilities by multi classing. Some even suggest you even lose out a bit by multi classing the Barbarian and the Fighter. Especially the fighter. And apparently it becomes easier to see in higher levels.

With those 2 specfically you lose out on/delay extra attacks since they dont stack. E.g. fighter 20 gets 4 attacks per attack action while a barb 10/fighter 10 gets 2. At least thats the main thing i worry about.

Biggstick
2017-03-10, 12:55 PM

As others have said, to multi class out of or into classes, you need to have certain stats. (first page of chapter 6 in the PHB. PG. 163)

Barbarian: minimum 13 Str.
Fighter: minimum 13 Str or 13 Dex.
Druid: minimum 13 Wis.
Warlock: minimum 13 Cha.

And other people are also correct in that you're going to notice the mid/late game differences when you get there. Multiclassing gives you early game power from other class's right now by sacrificing mid/late game capabilities of your primary class. This is especially true for casters, but you also notice this with late game Barbarian.

joaber
2017-03-10, 02:43 PM
So far I've researched that for multi classing, it is quite simple. At least for the Barbarian multi classing with Fighter and vice-versa, even if most people have told me that multi classing those two specific classes are pointless outside of RP and fluff. Things got a little more questionable for me when I took a look at multi classing the Barbarian with the Druid, and multi classing the Fighter with the Warlock.

For the sake of argument. Let's say you have 1 good stat, 2 ok stats, and 3 weak stats. Namely 18, 14, 14, 10, 10, 10. How would you distribute the stats?

As a Barbarian I'd go for Str 18, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10. But as a Druid I'd go for Str 10, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14. Going by the suggestions I've seen, the "Bearbarian" starts out as a level 1 barbarian then taking 2 levels in Druid. Seeing as the point of this specific multi class is to rage in bear form I'd go for the Druid star distribution as your Str, Dex, and Con are replaced while in wild shape. This does lead me with a problem. Before level 3 without wild shape, the PC seems too weak as he'd have a +0 on damage with the greataxe.

As a Fighter I'd go for Str 18, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10. But as a Warlock I'd go for Str 10, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 14. Going by the suggestions I've seen, starting two levels in Fighter are for the AC and the action surge. After taking two levels in Fighter, you go Warlock all the way. That being the case, I'd go for the Warlock stat distribution. This does lead me with a problem. Before level 3 without eldritch blast, the PC seems to weak as he'd have a +0 on damage with his melee weapon.

Am I doing this wrong? Or do I just have to have rolled really good stats to play these builds?

Well, the important part is what you want from your build (and those multiclass). Second, how long this campaing is planning to go (lvl 10, 15, 20).
As fighter/warlock thinking in melee, the common stats would be: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18, or changing Str to Dex if is Dex base.
first level in fighter to get proficience in all weapons and armors and Con save, than go as warlock until lvl 2 (invocations), or 3 (pact) or 5 (extra attack) or how much you want of that and than go back to fighter lvl 2 to action surge and how much you want of that class. Action surge can wait if your priority is warlock, if go for action surge, is to go as fighter until lvl 5 before thinking about multiclass.
as tome lock (lvl 3) you could get shillelagh to hit with Cha, in that case you can dump Str (or stay at 15 to use full plate). In that case, if you want extra attack, you need to pick from fighter.