PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feat: Harrier Mage (PEACH)

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-03-10, 01:00 PM
So this is the second in a series of feat concepts for casters to have a more dynamic spell combat experience. I've already cooked up a few martial combat focused feats. Now I am trying my hand with ones that can provide casters with interesting tools beyond Warcaster, Spellsniper, and upping their primary casting stat for better hits + save DC's.

HARRIER MAGE
Prerequisite: Ability to cast Cantrips or Spells

When you cast a spell that targets a single creature and it has no effect against its target, either due to a successful save or a missed attack roll or other influence, you may use your reaction to select another eligible creature within 30 feet of the initial creature to become a target of the spell. If the spell requires any attack rolls, you must roll new ones against the target. If the original target receives any effect from the spell, you may not redirect it.
When you target a creature with a spell that targets only one creature and it has no effect against that target, either due to a successful save or a missed attack roll, you may use your reaction to reclaim the spell. Holding onto a reclaimed spell uses your concentration. If you do not cast reclaimed spell before the end of your next turn, the spell is lost. You may use your action during your next turn to cast the spell again without using a spell slot or requiring any components. You can not reclaim a spell cast with this feat.
When you subject a creature to the effects of a spell, you may use your bonus action to select a creature that you can see within the spell's range. The selected creature cannot have advantage on saving throws made against that spell until the start of your next turn.

From a design perspective, the first and second bullets were to imply a sense of "casting efficiency" without handing out slots or metamagics. The use of the Reaction was ensure that the user is willing to through caution to the wind to drive their intentions home. The 3rd bullet is the closest I felt comfortable to getting a "spell penetration" (see 3.5 feat and spell resistance for reference) effect without handing out a flat increase to DC or stepping on the Heightened metamagic's toes. Now as written, when done concert with Heighten Spell, you actually get to impose disadvantage against creatures with 5e equivalent of spell resistance.

A suggestion that has been made in case that tips the scales too far is to use your bonus action to impose Disadvantage only when the target would have advantage.

Stan
2017-03-10, 05:14 PM
I think it's too good. Either of the first two bullet points by themselves would be a bit overpowered as a feat.

For simplicity, assume a spell with a save or attack roll succeeds 50% of the time. With a second try, each spell succeeds ~75% of the time. So the caster is 50% better at their spells for the cost of one feat. The first bullet doesn't even cost them any time other than a reaction as it happens the same round. It's limited to occasions with multiple opponents but that's common and the distance of 30' would rarely be an issue. Using a reaction isn't that big of a cost as casters rarely use reactions except for the occasional shield spell.

The second option effectively gives the caster ~50% more spell slots, a bit less as the battle might end before they can recast or they could fail a concentration roll.

How about option #1 as a standalone feat with the distance reduced to 5'?

freeWeemsy
2017-03-14, 05:38 PM
At first look I thought it might be a bit OP, but I feel like in practice it might actually be okay.

The first effect is very strong due to the 30' range, and I think that like the previous poster suggested it needs to be dropped to 5'(maybe 10') range.
The second effect I like a lot. It helps with spell efficiency, but I feel like the player is going to often find them choosing between dropping the spell, and selecting a different spell that is more effective the following round. This could lead to a lot of bad decisions made for the sake of spell slot efficiency, which I think is a great trade-off system wise.
For the 3rd effect I am a bit confused. Is this meant for chaining spells against multiple opponents or is it meant to be used on the target? If it is meant for the target I would word it to say that the target cannot have advantage on the save, if it is meant for chaining I would change it so that the "debuff" lasts until the END of your next turn, not the beginning.

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-03-15, 09:13 AM
Thank you both for the feedback. I've reworked it a bit, and if needed i can update the OP.

HARRIER MAGE
Prerequisite: Ability to cast Cantrips or Spells

When you cast a spell that targets a single creature and it has no effect against its target, either due to a successful save, a missed attack roll, or other influence, you may use your reaction either Redirect or Reclaim the the spell.

Redirect: You divert the spell away from its original target and redirect it. Select another eligible creature within 15 feet of the initial creature to become a target of the spell. If the spell requires any attack rolls, you must roll new ones against the target. If the original target receives any effect from the spell, you may not redirect it.

Reclaim: You reclaim the spell holding onto it for later use. Holding onto a reclaimed spell uses your concentration. If you do not cast reclaimed spell before the end of your next turn, the spell is lost. You may use your action during your next turn to cast the spell again at your original target without using a spell slot or requiring any components.
When you subject a creature to the effects of a spell, you may use your bonus action to select a creature that you can see within the spell's range. The selected creature cannot have advantage on saving throws made against that spell until the start of your next turn.

The second bullet (3rd function) is to allow for spell stickiness. It's the closest to the 3.x feat Spell Penetration that I could get to match 5e's style and flavor without making complex mechanics or enforcing additional rules or excess rolling. It lasts until the start of your next turn for spells that dont force a save immediately. It could still use some wording help though.

I reduced the range on the redirect function from 30 to 15, if needed i can drop it further.

The reclaim function can now only go against your initial target. This can be removed/adjusted as needed.

The use of the reaction was to ensure the user committed to the desired effects at the expense of being able to react properly.