PDA

View Full Version : Rain of Blades: Making an Asuna-type warrior

The_Iron_Lord
2017-03-10, 02:59 PM
Hey All!

I've been thinking about making a character who, like Asuna from Sword Art Online (Awesome anime, though a bit depressing), specializes in raining tons of stabbing blows down on her foe. This character would wield a rapier, and makes attacks only with that rapier.

Things It Needs:
High Dex
Weapon Finesse
Rapier
Suggested Enchants for the Rapier (Other than Speed)
Tons of attacks
Manuevers
High Speed
Things It Wants:
Travel Devotion
Multiple, different-slot "Belts" of Battle
Ruby Knight Vindicator (For Swift Actions)
A way to make an attack as a swift action
Time Stands Still
Shadow Blade (for this, please count the Rapier as though it were an associated weapon for Shadow Hand)
Pounce
Whirling Frenzy Barbarian

Note: Fractional Saves/BAB are being used

Thanks!:smallbiggrin:

Esprit15
2017-03-10, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you've basically figured out what you want. Most of the things that I can think of being listed are already in your list.

Zanos
2017-03-10, 03:38 PM
Make sure you include an ability that causes you to cease to be relevant for 2/3rds of the campaign.

The_Iron_Lord
2017-03-10, 03:51 PM
Well...What I wanted was basically help with getting all these things onto one character. (IE, how to get multiple Diamond Mind Manuevers on this intitiator who has 8+ levels that don't get them, and wants AT LEAST 16 BAB)

So, could you please recommend classes/PrCs that I could use for her? Especially I want to have at least 1d6 SA, a 1d6 Skirmish, plus others, that will stack my damage through the roof.

EDIT: The two biggest questions I have are thus: One, is there any way to make an attack as a swift action? Two, what will give me Weapon Finesse(Rapier) as a bonus feat?

Dagroth
2017-03-10, 04:00 PM
Look in the Anime Characters thread. Someone built a pretty credible version there.

There's also a Kirito in the Video Game Characters thread.

Doctor Awkward
2017-03-10, 07:03 PM
Two, what will give me Weapon Finesse(Rapier) as a bonus feat?

Swashbuckler (from complete Warrior), gets Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Cenric
2017-03-10, 09:14 PM
Just tossing it together,

Flavor of Elf
Barb1/Warblade9/Eternal Blade10

You'll need to pick your choice of pounce barb and whirling frenzy barb, personally I think Id go pounce, but to each their own.

Eternal Blade fits better than Ruby Knight Vindicator for spamming attacks, especially letting you bypass DR for a swift action, since rapiers dont really sync with uber charging

Deophaun
2017-03-10, 09:37 PM
A Tashalatora Monk/PsyWar using Unconventional Flurry and Linked Power Synchronicity would actually work for the concept as well, although a rapier might not qualify for UF... But, being out of PP for the day would explain why you have to run to your husbando for protection. So, one plot hole down.

Edit: Oh, and you can take Psicrystal Affinity to show that death no longer has meaning for Yui.

Edit 2:
Let's give a build and go down the checklist, see how it compares:
Asuna, Human Passive Way Monk 1/Psychic Warrior 6/Shiba Protector 1/Psychic Warrior 18
Feats:
Human Bonus: Unorthodox Flurry (Short Sword) Note: does not work with rapiers
1st: Monastic Training (Psychic Warrior)
Monk Bonus: Combat Expertise
1st Psychic Warrior Bonus: Psicrystal Affinity
3rd: Linked Power
2nd Psychic Warrior Bonus: Weapon Finesse
6th: Tashalatora
5th Psychic Warrior Bonus: Psicrystal Containment
Otyugh Hole: Iron Will
9th: Expanded Knowledge (Synchronicity)
8th Psychic Warrior Bonus: Martial Stance (Prereq met via Shadow Hands magic item)
12th: Shadow Blade
The rest are yours to play with

Checklist:
High Dex -> Nope, but High Wisdom, which will be added to your AC, Attack, and Damage rolls. A high Dex does help as it's also added to your AC, Attack, and Damage rolls.
Weapon Finesse -> Yes.
Rapier -> Nope. But Shadow Blade doesn't work with a rapier. Fluff the short sword instead.
Suggested Enchants for the Rapier (Other than Speed) -> Speed's unnecessary. You have psionic haste.
- (And instead of for the Rapier, get a +1 Illithidwrought Shadow Hand Discipline gauntlet for +5 to your attack rolls)
Tons of attacks -> Yes. +15/+15/+15/+10/+5 before we add anything on or start breaking the action economy.
Manuevers -> Not really, no. But you have powers instead.
High Speed -> Get a Rapid Wrath. Also, psionic haste.
Things It Wants:
Travel Devotion -> Don't need: you have hustle.
Multiple, different-slot "Belts" of Battle
Ruby Knight Vindicator (For Swift Actions) -> Kind of. You can use Linked Power to activate swift action powers for free next turn. Also, Yui. See below.
A way to make an attack as a swift action -> Again, kind of. You can Link synchronicity to a swift action power for it to go off for free next turn (which then gives you a free standard the turn after that)
Time Stands Still -> No, but thanks to Yui, we do better.
Shadow Blade (for this, please count the Rapier as though it were an associated weapon for Shadow Hand) -> Bah, just fluff the short sword. Or use the same vodoo on the DM to get a Rapier to qualify for Unorthodox Flurry
Pounce -> Psionic lion's charge
Whirling Frenzy Barbarian -> Eh, if you want to, you can dip Barbarian.

So, how are we getting Time Stands still and making use of all those Linked Power Synchronicity? With Yui!
Psicrystal Feats:
1st: Alertness (if you can choose, go for Hidden Talent, this is so Yui can regain her own psionic focus without you wasting actions)
3rd: Wild Talent (if you weren't allowed to choose Hidden Talent)
6th: Whatever (I'm a fan of Protection Devotion for this)
9th: Whatever
11th: Martial Study (some White Raven maneuver)
15th: Martial Study (White Raven Tactics)

It's not Time Stands Still; it's better! Once per encounter, Yui can let you take your turn again immediately after your turn, which of course includes another swift action.

Zaq
2017-03-10, 11:14 PM
EDIT: The two biggest questions I have are thus: One, is there any way to make an attack as a swift action?

Quickened Temporal Twist?

The_Iron_Lord
2017-03-11, 11:07 AM
I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Rogue 2/Scout 1/Cleric 1/Warblade 3/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Eternal Blade 3/ Swordsage 1

Are there any flavors of elf that gain an extra feat at 1st level like Humans, Strongheart Halflings, and Exiled Dwarves? Or is there any way for me to make this character elf enough to take Eternal Blade, and Human enough to take Adaptive Learning?

Dagroth
2017-03-11, 12:45 PM
I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Rogue 2/Scout 1/Cleric 1/Warblade 3/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Eternal Blade 3/ Swordsage 1

Are there any flavors of elf that gain an extra feat at 1st level like Humans, Strongheart Halflings, and Exiled Dwarves? Or is there any way for me to make this character elf enough to take Eternal Blade, and Human enough to take Adaptive Learning?

In answer to your first question... Flaws.
In answer to your second question... Half-Elf.

The_Iron_Lord
2017-03-15, 02:38 PM
Well...Currently, these are the feats I want for her...

Shadow Blade
Travel Devotion
Able Learner
DMM: Persist
Fleet of Foot
Planar Touchstone (for Catalogs of Enlightenment(Celerity))
Planar Touchstone (for Catalogs of Enlightenement(Cold))
Extra Rage
Faerie Mysteries Initiate
Extra Turning

Even with flaws, I can't figure out how to fit all of these into an ECL 20 build. I'm actually only one feat-slot short, but I can't go human, and there isn't any bonus-feat elf that I know of.:smallfrown:

Flickerdart
2017-03-15, 02:44 PM
A great class for your purposes is the arcane duelist prestige class (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a). Specifically, its capstone Flurry of Swords ability, which creates 1d4+3 mirror images that each attack the target with the same attacks that the arcane duelist has. Its other abilities are very thematic for a lightly armored rapier wielder.

It's not the strongest option, but it certainly meets your "tons of attacks" criteria.