PDA

View Full Version : Picking spells as a group

dnd2016
2017-03-10, 03:35 PM
When you guys level up, do you discuss which spells you're going to take so you don't take the same spells? Also which spells you might swap out if you don't get prepared spells. My group kind of just pics whatever they want without mentioning it to the rest of the group. Just wondered if this was normal

MrStabby
2017-03-10, 03:38 PM
For me I will always pick spells as I see my character doing so. I will never take into account what another player is picking. On the other hand for spells prepared each day I will consider my character to be collaborating with other party members and will prepare accordingly.

NecroDancer
2017-03-10, 05:20 PM
If I'm a sorcerer or warlock I'll usually just choose whatever spells seem the best my character

If I'm a bard I'll choose more healing spells if we don't have a cleric and more illusion/mind control spells if we have healing and buffing already covered.

If I'm a cleric or Druid I'll choose the spells we need each day becuase I know I can change them.

If I'm a wizard I'll choose the the spells that best suit my character unless I know that I can reliably copy them down later.

Typhon
2017-03-10, 05:23 PM
Pretty much what has already been said. Pick what you have in mind for your character concept and go with it for the level.

Now daily, choose what you think will be most helpful or useful.

Addaran
2017-03-10, 05:41 PM
Usually, i'll have some picks i absolutely want and would pick even if others have.

But i'll check with the group if:
1) I want more spells then the number known. (i'll drop the duplicates)
2) I have extra picks and i'm not sure what to do.
3) Kinda like 1, but when i gain a new spell lvl, i'll usually have too much new cool spells available, so i'll ask around what everyone else is picking or what i should get.

Tanarii
2017-03-10, 05:41 PM
It depends what kind of table I'm playing at. If I'm playing in AL, I'll not only choose without considering others, I'll probably take them with an eye to combat, especially survivability. In a game where I'm going to be leveling with other characters for an entire Adventure Path or at least multiple adventures, usually we'll do some kind of discussion. And absolutely the party make-up will affect my choices.

But in all cases character concept / personality will be the ultimate determining factor, if it has some bearing on the matter.

BW022
2017-03-10, 06:22 PM
I've typically just pick spells without worrying about what others have. Normally, you have a concept and you select spells typically best for you.

The only times I'll worry about other is...

1. If I know another character already has the same spell -- typically utility spells. If someone is ritual casting detect magic... I'll consider not taking it.

2. If I know another character is using spells tactics which might cause problems. If another character is using fire spells all the time... I might not take web.

3. If I'm a ritual caster and there is another ritual caster in the party, I'm looking at a ritual spell, and our characters are pretty friendly... then I may let them know I'm planning on taking X for the next level.

4. I am cleric or druid and preparing spells, or a wizard preparing for a specific encounter. I might ask the rest of the party what they are memorizing. Ok... we are attacking the stronghold, one of us needs dimension door or fly to go unlock the gate. Dimension door might be faster, or I can cast fly on the fighter. Which are we doing? etc.

Addaran
2017-03-10, 06:41 PM
But in all cases character concept / personality will be the ultimate determining factor, if it has some bearing on the matter.

Yeah, character concept/personality will often impose limits on what spells i'll take.

I've seen a few times how awesome Hypnotic Pattern can be, but my follower of Malar won't take it. He's all about the hunt and being a strong predator, ganking paralyzed enemies one by one is the tactic of someone weak in his eyes.

NecroDancer
2017-03-10, 08:20 PM
Yeah, character concept/personality will often impose limits on what spells i'll take.

I've seen a few times how awesome Hypnotic Pattern can be, but my follower of Malar won't take it. He's all about the hunt and being a strong predator, ganking paralyzed enemies one by one is the tactic of someone weak in his eyes.

perhaps Fear?

Addaran
2017-03-11, 08:01 AM
perhaps Fear?

Yep, as soon as i saw it was on the list, i had to take it. =)

Heroism fluffed as the adrenaline and bloodlust of the hunt.

Enhance abilities for various predators' strong point.

Even plant growth for the "ritual" effect. More plants in the region means more prey for me. :smallcool:

Specter
2017-03-11, 08:08 AM
If I'm a sorcerer or warlock I'll usually just choose whatever spells seem the best my character

If I'm a bard I'll choose more healing spells if we don't have a cleric and more illusion/mind control spells if we have healing and buffing already covered.

If I'm a cleric or Druid I'll choose the spells we need each day becuase I know I can change them.

If I'm a wizard I'll choose the the spells that best suit my character unless I know that I can reliably copy them down later.

I find your comment extremely paladinphobic and rangerphobic. /s

Citan
2017-03-11, 08:14 AM
When you guys level up, do you discuss which spells you're going to take so you don't take the same spells? Also which spells you might swap out if you don't get prepared spells. My group kind of just pics whatever they want without mentioning it to the rest of the group. Just wondered if this was normal

That is a bit sad but not unusual.
It's also a matter of taste between players: if everyone is here for fun and don't care about (party) optimization, then it's all good. As long as everyone is on the same page... :)

And it depends on type of caster (prepared spells = then who cares?) and character's "lifespan" (only for this campaign and party? Then I would certainly expect a bit of teamwork here. But a character that may be used in other campaigns? Then it's normal to choose "for oneself" first, even if asking around beforehand is always a good thing in case you hesitate between several spells for example).

Sigreid
2017-03-11, 01:35 PM
It's not a secret or anything, but we generally don't talk to much about each other's character choices. Generally I pick based on 1. what the character is most interested in and 2. what the character has had cause to wish he had recently.