PDA

View Full Version : The Spells Each Dragon Knows

Specter
2017-03-10, 04:03 PM
From the DMG's Spellcasting Dragons Variant:
"A young or older dragon can innately cast a number of spells equal to its Charisma modifier. Each spell can be cast once per day, requiring no material components, and the spell's level can be no higher than one-third the dragon's challenge rating (rounded down)."

Since there's no indication of what spells each dragon would pack, I figured we could work on that.

I'll start with my personal favorite: The Copper Dragon!

Copper dragons are jokers, pranksters, and easygoing fellows. This makes me believe offensive spells wouldn't really be their thing, but rather magic to amuse or create schemes (out of playfulness or revenge).
Also importantly, copper dragons are fond of bards and their stories. So I'm basing these on the bard spell selection, so that they could share and learn their magic with them, or the other way around.

SPELLS
Copper dragons have 19CHA (totally unjustified compared to other dragons), so that gives us 4 known spells.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter - If no one is laughing at the dragon's jokes, he may get upset and get laughter one way or another.

Mislead - Someone attacking the dragon's illusion while he is standing right next to it laughing seems very appropriate.

Dominate Person - When forces of evil come his way, I see copper dragons as those who would make some of them sleep and make the boss do many good/funny things against his will.

Otto's Irresistible Dance - Because making enemies dance is my idea of fun.

So, what do you think other dragons would be packing according to their own traits?

DragonBaneDM
2017-03-10, 04:25 PM
"A young or older dragon can innately cast a number of
spells equal to its Charisma modifier. Each spell can be cast once per day, requiring no material components, and the spell's level can be no higher than one-third the dragon's challenge rating (rounded down)."

Since there's no indication of what spells each dragon would pack, I figured we could work on that.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

So, what do you think other dragons would be packing according to their own traits?

Man, what a cool idea!

So I'm actually working on a module where some of the end bosses/allies are dragons who have some of the features of the paladin and wizard class. I actually really needed to give this some thought.

Here's my thought on a Bronze Paladin, leading from the head of her army. I'm working with a +4 Cha mod:

Command: Bellowing intimidating commands to her enemies seems like something a harbinger of righteousness would be into.

Shield of Faith: I like the idea of my Bronze Pally being the focal point of her army's faith, so this would be a cool divine gift to bestow on her lieutenants.

Daylight: Assaulting a fortress at night is now no issue. I love the idea of a dragon roaring "I am the dawn!" in Draconic while leading an attack.

Crusader's Mantle Okay at this point I'm just listing my favorites for use in game later. This would be a really cool ability to fire up when she's surrounded by troops and probably has a good chance to shrug off attacks that would force a Concentration check!

Geas: Wouldn't have it prepped every day, but this is the perfect NPC spell! A great knight commander could use this as a cool plot force to coerce an unallied party to do her bidding, maybe softening up the next target of her conquests. Oo, or maybe to keep unruly chieftains and other political figures of her assorted armies in check.

I want to start working on a Green Wizard next!

Strill
2017-03-10, 06:08 PM
Previous editions' books have Blue dragons using Mirage Arcane and other illusion spells, just to laugh at people getting lost in the desert and drinking sand that they thought was an oasis.

NecroDancer
2017-03-10, 10:20 PM
The Red Dragon

I see a red dragon as having spells that would help with obtaining treasure. Why would a red dragon need blasting spell? the dragon has the mightiest breath weapon. The dragon is motivated by greed so it's spells will be focused on getting stuff and keeping that stuff safe.

Here is a few spells the red dragon may have (that aren't fire related)

Detect Magic (detect any magical traps)

Knock (open any doorways)

See Invisibility (this is how Smaug would should have dealt with Bilbo)

Clairvoyance (good for surveillance or finding out what's behind that doorway)

Gaseous Form (getting through any cracks smaller than your average dragon)

Dispel Magic (getting rid of though pesky magical traps or spells used by thieves)

Wall of Fire (This is a bit of an outlier but I think it's a good spell to prevent adventures from surrounding the dragon)

Dimension Door (quick escape or a way to get through walls without leaving a trace)

Greater Invisibility (sneaky dragon)

Animate Objects (imagine the dragon's horde rising to the dragon's defense)

Arcane Gate (improved dimension door)

Specter
2017-03-11, 07:18 AM
Man, what a cool idea!

So I'm actually working on a module where some of the end bosses/allies are dragons who have some of the features of the paladin and wizard class. I actually really needed to give this some thought.

Here's my thought on a Bronze Paladin, leading from the head of her army. I'm working with a +4 Cha mod:

Command: Bellowing intimidating commands to her enemies seems like something a harbinger of righteousness would be into.

Shield of Faith: I like the idea of my Bronze Pally being the focal point of her army's faith, so this would be a cool divine gift to bestow on her lieutenants.

Daylight: Assaulting a fortress at night is now no issue. I love the idea of a dragon roaring "I am the dawn!" in Draconic while leading an attack.

Crusader's Mantle Okay at this point I'm just listing my favorites for use in game later. This would be a really cool ability to fire up when she's surrounded by troops and probably has a good chance to shrug off attacks that would force a Concentration check!

Geas: Wouldn't have it prepped every day, but this is the perfect NPC spell! A great knight commander could use this as a cool plot force to coerce an unallied party to do her bidding, maybe softening up the next target of her conquests. Oo, or maybe to keep unruly chieftains and other political figures of her assorted armies in check.

I want to start working on a Green Wizard next!

Cool idea. But wouldn't Sorcerers be more appropriate for a Charisma monster?

Previous editions' books have Blue dragons using Mirage Arcane and other illusion spells, just to laugh at people getting lost in the desert and drinking sand that they thought was an oasis.

Sounds like something they'd do!

The Red Dragon

I see a red dragon as having spells that would help with obtaining treasure. Why would a red dragon need blasting spell? the dragon has the mightiest breath weapon. The dragon is motivated by greed so it's spells will be focused on getting stuff and keeping that stuff safe.

Here is a few spells the red dragon may have (that aren't fire related)

Detect Magic (detect any magical traps)

Knock (open any doorways)

See Invisibility (this is how Smaug would should have dealt with Bilbo)

Clairvoyance (good for surveillance or finding out what's behind that doorway)

Gaseous Form (getting through any cracks smaller than your average dragon)

Dispel Magic (getting rid of though pesky magical traps or spells used by thieves)

Wall of Fire (This is a bit of an outlier but I think it's a good spell to prevent adventures from surrounding the dragon)

Dimension Door (quick escape or a way to get through walls without leaving a trace)

Greater Invisibility (sneaky dragon)

Animate Objects (imagine the dragon's horde rising to the dragon's defense)

Arcane Gate (improved dimension door)

Pretty good stuff all around. Makes me imagine an adventuring red dragon!

DragonBaneDM
2017-03-11, 10:55 AM
Cool idea. But wouldn't Sorcerers be more appropriate for a Charisma monster?

"A young or older dragon can innately cast a number of spells equal to its Charisma modifier. Each spell can be cast once per day, requiring no material components, and the spell's level can be no higher than one-third the dragon's challenge rating (rounded down)."

So all dragons, regardless of what class they mimic, seem to be dependent on their Charisma modifier for their casting slots. Also, Sorcerer makes so much sense. I just like the idea of cold calculation for the Green, and that's why I'd want to pull spells from the Wizard list, even though I'm not 100% sure what the big differences between the Wiz and Sorc spell lists are in 5E, I have pretty limited experience with both of those classes.

I may break this rule for an NPC/potential enemy in my one game, though, the idea being that he's a young green dragon who's received tutelage from an Archmage while he was a wyrmling. So I may have him base his spells off of Intelligence, since he is in fact a Wizard and doesn't get his spellcasting naturally like so many other dragons.

I figured your response was to the Green Wizard idea, but if you were talking about the Paladin, it still works out since they're Cha based.

Strill
2017-03-11, 11:08 AM
So all dragons, regardless of what class they mimic, seem to be dependent on their Charisma modifier for their casting slots.

What are you talking about? Dragons don't mimic any class. Sorcerers mimic dragons.

Specter
2017-03-11, 11:19 AM
So all dragons, regardless of what class they mimic, seem to be dependent on their Charisma modifier for their casting slots. Also, Sorcerer makes so much sense. I just like the idea of cold calculation for the Green, and that's why I'd want to pull spells from the Wizard list, even though I'm not 100% sure what the big differences between the Wiz and Sorc spell lists are in 5E, I have pretty limited experience with both of those classes.

I may break this rule for an NPC/potential enemy in my one game, though, the idea being that he's a young green dragon who's received tutelage from an Archmage while he was a wyrmling. So I may have him base his spells off of Intelligence, since he is in fact a Wizard and doesn't get his spellcasting naturally like so many other dragons.

I figured your response was to the Green Wizard idea, but if you were talking about the Paladin, it still works out since they're Cha based.

Yeah, of course, the dragon's source of magic could be from any class or source. It just struck me as more sorcery than wizardy in terms of 'powers'.

NecroDancer
2017-03-11, 12:49 PM
What about a white dragon with the barbarian's rage ability.

Specter
2017-03-11, 02:44 PM
What about a white dragon with the barbarian's rage ability.

Totally off-book, but could work.

I see white dragons like a stupid blaster, just picking cold spells because they're amusing.