PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ideas Bouncing [Detailed Campaign Beginning Included]

Bloodzy
2017-03-10, 06:24 PM
Not new to DM'ing but want some experienced DMs or just some creative high level thinkers to bounce ideas off of. I'm currently running a fairly new campaign (about 8 sessions in) with 5 player characters, 3 of which are very new and 2 who are relatively experienced with RPGs.

My ask of you: provide a way, whether it be skype, steam, teamspeak, discord, or something else, to communicate and bounce ideas back and forth.

It is placed on a very ancient continent, once alive with very magic-centric races. They were proficient in taking advantage of the powerful arcane magic that pulsed through the world and used it to build magnificent structures and do unimaginably amazing things.

Now, in the PCs time, the magic is gone. Lost, or more accurately, locked after an intense war between the combined forces of the ancient races and a darkness that hungered for the power they possessed. This darkness was created by the very race it destroyed, The Ancients, who were the most powerful of the old races and the new race was created during experiments to grow their control overy magic.

This race fed off of their abilities, growing stronger in the Ancients struggle to destroy them. They grew powerful, nearly exterminating The Ancients. On the verge of extinction, The Ancients engineered a new race who could use magic, but in a different way; a way that couldn't be absorbed by The Darkness. However, it was too late and to the best of everyone's knowledge, The Ancients were crushed by the very beings they created; The Darkness.

The new race became known as The Guardians. They allied with the Dwarven kingdom as well as the various Elven nations that spanned the continent. The Darkness spread it's influence, trying to ingulf the entirety of the world but the three prominent races held their ground and fought back.

The Guardians utilized a runic magic, one that channeled power through massive crystals they forged in their cities. The source of power in these crystals were limited but constantly replenished themselves by drawing on the arcane energy that flows beneath the earth.

Eventually the Trio was able to beat this incursion, but not without significant losses. The elves became near extinct and only the Dwarves remained nearly unscathed. They had reacted extremely to the threat and even flourished some, expanding their strongholds and better fortifying their kingdom. The Guardians seemed to dissapear from history after that but nothing really tells why.

-- END OF HISTORY LESSON --

Now, the PCs.

A spoiled nobel; his family, the second in line to the thrown, controls about a third of the kingdom and only answers to the King. He has been sent to an Academy, the most prestigious in the land, to expand his knowledge and skills.

A guardsman with an ambition to one day become a general in his forces. He is currently in the army under control by the above PCs father.

An ork wizard with the goal of gathering as much knowledge as he can get his hands on, whether it be spells or simply history. He thirsts for not only power, but knowledge as a whole.

A gnome inventor outcast by his village for being too.. experimental. He now travels the world on his bestfriend Wallace, a female terrorbird that acts as his mount, home, and only friend.

A human barbarian who grew up in a tribe who had conflicts with the very diminished Elven kind. One day, while he was out on a hunting party, his village was attacked, a retaliation he expects from the elves, and no one (including his family) was left alive.

-- END OF CHARACTERS --

Finally, what has happened thus far.

I'm going to keep this part pretty short and sweet.

The academy where the first PC was attending got attacked. The gnome had traveled to the academy to try and find a mentor, a highly skilled tinkerer that was a professor there. The attack on the academy was very unexpected because the academy itself had been constructed by The Guardians and even though they were no longer around, they still had wards in place that repelled most races. These wards were being powered by a massive crystal that floated above the center of the academy, where the library was located. Someone on the inside had sabataged the crystal and during the attack, the crystal was taken. Lots of noble children were slaughtered during the attack, which was being led by orks and goblins, who are not known for being coordinated or strategic like this.

They retreated through the tunnels underneath the academy's library and took refuge in a nearby gnome village by making a deal to help give them supplies once they return to the city.

The party arrives in Elryn, the capital of the region which is under control of one of the PCs father. His father tells him he must lead their army against this ork uprising and crush it before it becomes any giver of a threat. He treats it as if nothing is out of the ordinary, but clearly something is. A friend of the PCs suggests to disobey his father, believing that this task is suicide. Instead, she offers they go to a cave near the city. There's been talk that strange things, magical things, are happening within its confines and that she thinks there could be something here to help their fight against the barbaric orks.

They journey to the cave, through a small territory controlled by some gnolls. They have a scuffle with some on a hunting party but are able to evade the majority of them. They arrive at the cave and find it to be littered with hundreds of Elven skeletons, as if some sort of battle had occurred here. There's lots of broken army, and broken weapons, some clearly very powerful after the ork wizard studies them. They encounter some skeletons, somehow revived and fight them off. Then they find a door deep within the large cave that required them using a book found by the ork wizard in a previous session to open its runic combination and he had to channel some of his magic into it for it to open completely. The room it opened into was well constructed out of a fine golden metal. Runes literred the entirety of the walls and ceiling and directly in the center was a crystal, much like the one in the academy, but it was smaller and cracked in various places. It floated there, rotating slowly, magic visibly seeping out of the cracks. A hologram of a Guardian appeared, telling them that this was a battleground and that wards were set in place to contain the dark energy that still lingered. It tells that the wards have been damaged and are in need repair.

At that point the noble PC rushes the crystal, attempting to grab it in his greed. The magic seeping out of it manages to shoot through his body, frying him.. dead, for now. The ork follows suite, touching it and dying. The others decide to leave at that point and bring their dead corpses with them.

That's where it has stopped ended.

Any input below would be appreciated but even more so, if anyone would like to chat via mics or even just a chat box on steam, here's my info:

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bloodzy/
Discord: Bloodzy#5152

I'd love to bounce some ideas off of people and hear yours.

Bahamut7
2017-03-10, 06:59 PM
HHmm, I assume you don't want advice on here as your players probably visit. I feel some information is still missing for proper advice. You say the Guardians of old utilized Rune Magic but the PCs are able to utilized normal magic? Do the Crystals of old still remain or are the supposedly gone? Any particular character creation options off limits (races, backgrounds, classes, etc.)?

Bloodzy
2017-03-10, 07:00 PM
HHmm, I assume you don't want advice on here as your players probably visit. I feel some information is still missing for proper advice. You say the Guardians of old utilized Rune Magic but the PCs are able to utilized normal magic? Do the Crystals of old still remain or are the supposedly gone? Any particular character creation options off limits (races, backgrounds, classes, etc.)?

Sorry, i was still typing it up when you replied. Take a look now. And I don't think they frequent sites such as these so advice/ideas would be welcome here. However, I have withheld key information that they don't know just in case, which I can disclose privately if someone is interested

And so far, yes, the PCs have only been able to use typical arcane magic, which is being utilized currently by the ork wizard. But he just died. So I've got some cool ideas if the PCs decide to try to find a way to resurrect the two who have fallen

Bahamut7
2017-03-10, 07:27 PM
Of course, he probably have a vision for the end of the campaign or where roughly you want to go. I personally like the idea of a Guardian of old that went rogue or somehow has survived over time and became disenchanted with the world the Guardians were assigned to protect.

Even if this is not the route you want to go you could create a red herring and make players think that it is a possibility.

You could also add in a shock that typical Arcana power actually feeds the Darkness and is allowing it to return...a little similar to Father from Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Bloodzy
2017-03-10, 07:37 PM
Of course, he probably have a vision for the end of the campaign or where roughly you want to go. I personally like the idea of a Guardian of old that went rogue or somehow has survived over time and became disenchanted with the world the Guardians were assigned to protect.

Even if this is not the route you want to go you could create a red herring and make players think that it is a possibility.

You could also add in a shock that typical Arcana power actually feeds the Darkness and is allowing it to return...a little similar to Father from Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I do like that idea- I had someone else suggest all of the wards be linked, lke if one falls, the others all weaken. So since the wards fell at the Academy, it caused a chain reaction causing the ward in the cave fall and now that dark magic is leaking out. Soon, if enough wards fall, the Darkness could return.

So you're saying, maybe the wizard PC is luring the Darkness out again with his use of magic?

Bahamut7
2017-03-10, 07:48 PM
I do like that idea- I had someone else suggest all of the wards be linked, lke if one falls, the others all weaken. So since the wards fell at the Academy, it caused a chain reaction causing the ward in the cave fall and now that dark magic is leaking out. Soon, if enough wards fall, the Darkness could return.

So you're saying, maybe the wizard PC is luring the Darkness out again with his use of magic?

What I am saying you could add to the world is that any standard magic actually helps strengthen the Darkness and allows it push the limits of the Wards more so. As your established backstory is from long ago, over time people may not know that typical Arcana will empower it.

If you choose that route, you need to decide how all types of magic interact with this. Wizards, Sorcerers, and Warlocks fall into this, but Rangers, Paladins, Clerics, Monks (Ki is similar to internal divine power in my opinion), Bard, and Druids are up to you. With this angle, you could show that Divine power became the norm and Churches flourished initially, but overtime Arcana came back.

Also how do Monsters with supernatural powers fit into this? Are they more of off springs from the Darkness? Similar plot can be found in RE:Zero with the witchfiends.

Bloodzy
2017-03-10, 07:54 PM
What I am saying you could add to the world is that any standard magic actually helps strengthen the Darkness and allows it push the limits of the Wards more so. As your established backstory is from long ago, over time people may not know that typical Arcana will empower it.

If you choose that route, you need to decide how all types of magic interact with this. Wizards, Sorcerers, and Warlocks fall into this, but Rangers, Paladins, Clerics, Monks (Ki is similar to internal divine power in my opinion), Bard, and Druids are up to you. With this angle, you could show that Divine power became the norm and Churches flourished initially, but overtime Arcana came back.

Also how do Monsters with supernatural powers fit into this? Are they more of off springs from the Darkness? Similar plot can be found in RE:Zero with the witchfiends.

Very interesting idea. I like that a lot. So far they haven't really encountered any supernatural monsters. Are you referring to Gnolls, Orks, Goblins? They don't really strike me as very magical

Bahamut7
2017-03-10, 08:26 PM
Very interesting idea. I like that a lot. So far they haven't really encountered any supernatural monsters. Are you referring to Gnolls, Orks, Goblins? They don't really strike me as very magical

I refer to Demons, Beholders, Undead, Golems, Gelatinous Cubes, or anything that is empowered by magic or can use magic. Gnolls and Orcs, don't fall into this...but perhaps their Shaman does.

On a side note, please as the campaign continues let us know how it plays out. I know many DMs would love to add something to one of their campaigns.

In a One-shot, that can be a campaign, I am putting together, Dragons are gone (including Bahamut), the races don't trust each other, Kobolds and Dragonborn were brought to extinction (or are they :smallwink: ), and something is coming....The world is like a festering wound and most Deities are silent but where the enemies are...the world is more vibrant.

Bloodzy
2017-03-10, 10:51 PM
I refer to Demons, Beholders, Undead, Golems, Gelatinous Cubes, or anything that is empowered by magic or can use magic. Gnolls and Orcs, don't fall into this...but perhaps their Shaman does.

On a side note, please as the campaign continues let us know how it plays out. I know many DMs would love to add something to one of their campaigns.

In a One-shot, that can be a campaign, I am putting together, Dragons are gone (including Bahamut), the races don't trust each other, Kobolds and Dragonborn were brought to extinction (or are they :smallwink: ), and something is coming....The world is like a festering wound and most Deities are silent but where the enemies are...the world is more vibrant.

Intriguing. I'm not a fan of one shots though. I love to develop amazing worlds and have the PCs character grow over time and turn into things they (or I) could have ever imagined

In response to the magical beings, I haven't introduced any of them to the PCs yet so I don't really have an idea for why they are (or possible, are not) there.

Bahamut7
2017-03-10, 10:55 PM
Intriguing. I'm not a fan of one shots though. I love to develop amazing worlds and have the PCs character grow over time and turn into things they (or I) could have ever imagined

In response to the magical beings, I haven't introduced any of them to the PCs yet so I don't really have an idea for why they are (or possible, are not) there.

The core of it is a one shot to help teach new players, but everytime I work on it, it evolves more into a proper campaign...I just added the 12 Talismans of Shendu (jackie chan adventures). Agreed on the world building though, unfortunately my DMs skimp out on the reactionary aspect of the worlds.

Bloodzy
2017-03-10, 11:02 PM
The core of it is a one shot to help teach new players, but everytime I work on it, it evolves more into a proper campaign...I just added the 12 Talismans of Shendu (jackie chan adventures). Agreed on the world building though, unfortunately my DMs skimp out on the reactionary aspect of the worlds.

Cool stuff man. So they railroad you?

Bloodzy
2017-03-11, 01:19 PM
Bump, still looking for ideas

Bahamut7
2017-03-11, 10:12 PM
Cool stuff man. So they railroad you?

No, I just keep expanding it when I don't need to. Lol.