PDA

View Full Version : 3 person group...

tahu88810
2007-07-25, 01:21 PM
Ok, so I started a campaign IRL with a friend of mine last night, we played this morning aswell.
Anways,
the group consists of:

Elf Ranger LvL 2 CN - My 8 year old brother
Half-Elf Druid LvL 3 CN - My 14 year old best friend
Human Rogue LvL 2(soon to be 3) CN - Me (14 yrs old)

I plan to have it that most times the Elf Ranger is on solo missions, and occasionally meets up with the rogue and the druid for other missions. The rogue and druid usually just hang out and do stuff (IE act as mercenaries for cash).
Theres already some party conflict, though.
Long story short, Ranger got KO'd by goblins, Druid and Rogue saved him. Druid and Rogue took all gp (48) from Ranger as payment...along with 5 sunrods. They then proceeded to pay for the Ranger's stay at the inn for a few days, though.
---
Later, since I couldn't think up a mission for the mayor to give the mercs (all three), the druid came up with an idea to become a band of thieves. They have since been setting up ambushes on a somewhat well traveled road. It hasn't payed off much, but the Druid has come up with some amazing ideas as to how to ambush people, from faking injuries in the middle of the road to just ambushing people.
I like their creativity, but I would also like it if I could find a way to set up adventures for them. They seem to be driven by money. (the DMPC is just there to fight, he isn't driven by anything)
---
Any suggestions for some good plot hooks, challenges, etc.?
Mostly for the game with my friend, and for the games with both my brother and my friend. I can think up solo adventures for my brother easily.

Telonius
2007-07-25, 01:34 PM
Plot hooks...

The town guards start getting complaints about robberies, so a few of the guards set out to find the source of the robberies.

They get a fan club from robbing the rich. (Giving to the poor is optional, but welcome).

They attempt to rob someone who's much more powerful than they first appear. Depending on who it is, they can curse the party (evil guy), laugh and agree to teach them (chaotic high-level rogue), set them on a quest of righteousness (good guy), or any number of other things. Any one of those could lead to a full-scale quest.

Eldred
2007-07-25, 01:48 PM
Hmm....

News of regular ambushes and robberies on the well-travelled road has spread to the many traders and adventurers. They have migrated to a new, and slightly longer, road - causing the old road to become more hostile with monsters.

Also, should you feel the ambushes are getting repetitive and would prefer a different aspect to the game, have the characters ambush a more powerful NPC (as Telonius described). This usually helps players think: "OK, maybe this whole ambushing thing isn't such a good thing."

BardicDuelist
2007-07-25, 01:58 PM
This new band of thieves is stepping on the toes of annother band or plunderers (goblins, kobolds, humans, orcs or whatever you'd like to use).

The PCs get robbed in camp or at an inn, or even during a robbery. They can't go to the guard for help (obviously), and so have to get their stuff back (and probably steal from the people who stole from them).

It turns out that the brigands who stole from the PCs use their profits to fund a cult of some sort (devils, demons, yuan-ti, etc. just be creative). In stealing their stuff back, they have angered the cult.

If you wanted to be really insidious (though with an 8 yr old, this may not be a good idea), you could have a rival demon, devil, etc. try to corrupt the party by "aiding" them in exchange for their soul. The Fiend Folio and Fiendish Codexes have excellend things there.

This may have been too much, but I hope it helped.

Matthew
2007-07-26, 10:19 PM
Hmmn. Consider taking a look at some of the Free Downloadable Adventures on the Wizards Website and wooing these Player Characters away from ambushing hapless NPC Travellers to some actual adventure. Alternatively, have some NPC Adventurers arrive in town to solve the 'Bandit Problem'.