PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for short FATE core games!

Kol Korran
2017-03-11, 01:18 AM
Hey all. I've been the DM of our D&D group for a long time, but recently stepped down, and eventually stopped gaming, due to many new real life responsibilities. (Marriage, my new kid, new work and so on). My group changed DM, and are now running a shadowrun game.

However, I still want to play, but there are some constraints, due to circumstances:
1- I prefer to GM. just my personal preference.
2- Looking for an easy to apply and fast running game.
3- The sessions should be shorter than our usual time (We usually played for 7-9 hours or so. Looking more for 3-4?)
4- Can't run a campaign. Mostly something like one-shots/ episodic nature games.

In the past we tried FATE, but with... not a great deal of success. But I was inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517460-Switching-from-D-amp-D-3-5-to-Fate-Core) to maybe try again! (Lots of good advice). 2 of my players would like to try, (And they are the ones who would suit the game's mind set the best I think).

But... I have very little time to prepare, and worse- very very little experience with the system. So... I'm looking for game suggestions! So far, some of my ideas (In very broad terms):
1. Toy Story inspired!
The players play toys, in a small family, and solve "crisises" similar ot those in the movies. The players cana bring toys to represent themselves and others! :smalltongue: (All 3 of us are parents for small children, so this may be fun?)

2. Paranormal creepy investigations?
Something on the lines of "Twilight zone" episodes... Not quite sure how to make this. I've had two main ideas, which I contemplated in the past- In one the players somehow transport into a parallel universe, in which their alter selves chose... different paths (What they wished they have done) or so... been looking at some old episodes of the show for inspiration...

3. The grumpy minions game:
This is very much humor based. :smalltongue:
In a similar world to D&D, the PCs are part of a dungeon, who's elders made a deal with adventurers and gave them all the loot, in return for them saying the dungeon has been vanquished and destroyed, so no more pesky sword and magic wielding people would come and kill them... All was well, till the dragoness came. A dragoness with the power of a dragon, and the maturity and self control of a teenaged "daddy's- princess" (Which Daddy Dragon grew tired of, and so threw out of his lair, to "grow up"). Now she's taken over the dungeon, and wants her minions to perform various ludicrous and impossible missions for her glory! ("Kidnap the princess!"/ "Steal the prized artifact of the monster killing church!"/ "Kill the country's greatest hero!" and so on).
The game focuses on the PCs being grumpy minions in an impossible situation, who have to think very creatively to survive the dragoness reckless impulsiveness, and the "quests" she sends them on. (Think perhaps... General Skarr from Evil Con Carne?)

More ideas welcome, in any genre, in any mood. Needs to be short/ self contained/ episodical, and easy to run.
Thanks in advance, Kol. :smallsmile:

Fri
2017-03-12, 10:41 PM
My favourite go-to scenario for a short Fate game would be a heist game. There's just so many things you can do with a heist that work well with Fate, and it's self contained with specific start and end that could work in one session. So no specific suggestion yet, but maybe you can have one of your game idea, but revolve around a heist.

kyoryu
2017-03-13, 02:32 PM
Heist would work great, I think. And in one of the Fate Worlds volumes, there's CrimeWorld, which is all about heists and how to run them!