2007-07-25, 02:20 PM
Right now I'm a running a cleric with the following stats
Str:12
Dex:10
Con:13
Int:8
Wis:17
Cha:14
He's a 5th level cleric and just hitting 6th, and I was thinking about taking levels of sorcerer and going for the mystic theurge prestige class. Is this a good idea or a really stupid one? If it's a bad one, can you suggest either a feat or a class that will help me make use of my high charisma score.

The_Snark
2007-07-25, 02:27 PM
People are probably going to come and tell you that no, this is not a good idea and the mystic theurge is not very powerful.

I'm going to agree with them, though for slightly different reasons. Until you're reasonably high-level, playing a mystic theurge-esque character is simply not much fun. At this level, it will be another 5 levels before you actually get into the prestige class. Until then, you'll be using two different types of spellcasting, neither of which will be very powerful.

As for feats, divine feats strike me as useful, to make use of your turning attempts. I've always liked Divine Spell Power (Complete Divine), and the Player's Handbook 2 has some good ones (Divine Armor, the one that improves saves, etc.)

rollfrenzy
2007-07-25, 02:28 PM
I would stick with Straight Cleric, definately better than multi into Sorcerer. Just look into divine feats that let you trade Turn attempts into bonuses.

Edit: ninja'd Yeah, what Snark said.

BardicDuelist
2007-07-25, 02:28 PM
Mystic thurge is a bad idea from a mechanical stand point (as I have recently discovered trying to play one). I would not recomend this at all if your only reason is using your high Cha. score. If it is for a roleplaying reason, it can be fun. I use it for some NPCs when I DM, because their realitive power level can lower and not be a big deal, or I can make them any level I want and it still not be a big deal.

Now, to use your high Cha. score, try checking out the Divine feats in Complete Warrior, especially if you are not using your turn undead that often.
They have a range of abilities. Some of my favorites let you get your Cha to AC and your Cha to attack and damage.

Edit: Guess they beat me to it.

Aurion
2007-07-25, 02:32 PM
Yeah... I'm pissed at the DM who kept throwing wave after wave of undead at us in the begginning, which is why I raised my charisma, and now he is making become an ally of the person who controls all of those undead, making my charisma useless. I think I'm going to take leadership first and then take divine metamagic at 9th....

giblina
2007-07-25, 02:39 PM
Mystic Theurge is a trap. You'll weaken yourself horribly by taking it.

Stay cleric.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-25, 02:41 PM
a good Cha is never useless, (alright maybe sometimes but not when you're interacting with NPCs) diplomacy, perform (oratory), intimadate and bluff make you a one cleric tornado once you hit town.:smallbiggrin:

lukelightning
2007-07-25, 02:45 PM
The problem is that with your charisma of 14 you're limited to 4th level sorcerer spells.

Telonius
2007-07-25, 02:46 PM
For Feats... Sanctify Martial Strike from BoED. It requires CHA 15, though, and you might not want to bump up your score any more.

Sacred Healing and Sacred Purification from Complete Divine are nice. Grants a healing burst for a time modified by charisma.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-25, 02:48 PM
The problem is that with your charisma of 14 you're limited to 4th level sorcerer spells.

that's so far away (at least ten levels before it becomes an obsticle) that by that stage you can just get hold of a cloak of Cha and it's all bunnies and daisies :smallsmile: