PDA

View Full Version : Versatile Spellcasting, the normal way

Dagroth
2017-03-11, 04:06 AM
The text is pretty clear: "You can use two spell slots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher."

The neat trick is that with Versatile Spellcaster (and Heighten Spell) a Cleric-2/Sorcerer-1 qualifies for Mystic Theurge... since the Cleric can Spontaneously cast Cure spells. (Have to be 3rd level because of skill requirements).

Versatile Spellcaster Cleric-1/Druid-3/Sorcerer-1 qualifies for Mystic Theurge and eventually Arcane Hierophant giving you 8ths for Cleric & Sorcerer (CL 16). (You need Cleric for Knowledge: Religion for MT)
Edit: If you get the Knowledge Devotion or Knowledgeable Feat at level 1, you could chose Kn: Religion for the skill you gain and skip Cleric casting. You'd end up with Druid CL 19/ Sorcerer CL 17 & Wildshaping as a Druid-14 (MT-5/AH-10).

If you replace Sorcerer with Warmage/Beguiler/Dread Necromancer then you don't need Heighten Spell. (You can still do this if you go with Druid & Knowledge Devotion or the Knowledgeable Feat.)

Another way to get into Arcane Hierophant is with the Wildrunner PrC... you need to be an Elf or Half-Elf & 8 ranks of Survival (at cross-class skill costs, you can get that at 13... right when you're done with MT).

So... Clr-1/Sor-2/MT-10/Wildrunner-1/Arcane Hierophant-6 I went with Sor-2 for CL-18 Sorcerer & CL17-Cleric. Double-9ths. You do lose your familiar when you become an AH, so you should get an ACF for that at the beginning.

Edit #2. My re-reading of the text of Versatile Spellcaster shows me that Heighten Spell would be required for this build. It allows you to cast "a spell you know"... and neither Druids nor Clerics "know" their spells until they're already prepared.

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-11, 01:35 PM
I am confused what "the normal way" has to do with the contents of this post. Using Versatile Spellcaster to qualify for prestige classes early is certainly not the normal intended usage of the feat. From the title, I was expecting this thread to be about the exact opposite of what it's about. :smallconfused::smallannoyed: