PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Some Wizard help please

Lost_Nomad
2017-03-11, 04:10 AM
so I'm jumping into a game as a level four wizard (I usually play as a Fighter so I figured I'd mix it up a bit)

anyway, since I'm jumping it at level 4 I was looking at the table at the front and its confusing

it says I have 4 cantrips, but it also says I have 4 level 1 spell slots and 3 level two spell slots

but when I looked at the spell book section it says I know 6 level one spells

how and when do I learn level two spells??

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-03-11, 04:14 AM
From the SRD:

"Each time you gain a wizard level, you can add two wizard spells of your choice to your spellbook for free. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table. On your adventures, you might find other spells that you can add to your spellbook (see “Your Spellbook”)."

Then spend your gold to purchase other spells to add to your spellbook (see your DM for what spells they will allow you to purchase).

Lost_Nomad
2017-03-11, 04:18 AM
From the SRD:

"Each time you gain a wizard level, you can add two wizard spells of your choice to your spellbook for free. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots, as shown on the Wizard table. On your adventures, you might find other spells that you can add to your spellbook (see “Your Spellbook”)."

Then spend your gold to purchase other spells to add to your spellbook (see your DM for what spells they will allow you to purchase).

thanks one question though, whats the SRD?

Hrugner
2017-03-11, 04:31 AM
Cantrips are their own separate thing. You know a certain amount and don't need to prepare them, they are always available to you. You have a certain amount of spells of each level that you can cast per long rest, these are called your spell slots. You prepare spells for casting that can be used from these spell slots, the number of spells you can prepare is equal to your intelligence plus wizard level. These spells can be of any spell level for which you have spell slots. You also have spells written in your spellbook that you know how to cast. You can only cast these spells if you have them prepared, and you can change what you have prepared during a long rest. You can also cast certain spells as rituals as described later in the book.

Step 1: pick the spells you'd like to have available to you during play. You will have 8 first level spells and 4 additional spells of either first or second level.
Step 2: prepare spells you'd like available each day equal to your intelligence modifier plus 4. These can be any mix of first or second level spells.
Step 3: Keep track of how many spells of each level you cast during play and subtract them from your Spell slots.
Step 4: select your cantrips, these can't be changed during play and you don't get very many of them. Chose wisely.
Step 5: haggle with your DM over how many extra spells you may have come across or purchased on your way to 4th level.

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-03-11, 04:31 AM
thanks one question though, whats the SRD?

System Reference Document.