PDA

View Full Version : [Base Class]Gunslinger ... Childe Rolande to the dark tower came.

rollfrenzy
2007-07-25, 02:42 PM
This is my first attempt at a Base class, so be nice. It's designed for Medievil D20, like fearun or Iron kingdoms, in which Pistols are around but not too common. I just need to know if its balanced versus core and maybe some suggestions on Trick shots or improvements. the Fluff is bascially based around Roland Deschain.

Edit: This is for our private use, so more interested in the RAI and not the RAW in this class. I didn't word it to be lawyer proof.

Gunslinger

Weapons and armor:
Gunslinger is proficient with all light weapons and all pistols, rifles, and x-bows. The gunslinger is proficient with light armor, but not shields.

Class Skills:
Bluff, Craft Small arms, Craft Alchemy, Intimidate, Ride, Search, Spot, Knowledge (firearms), Survival,

Hit Die: d8

Skill Points: 1st (4+ int mod X 4) , after 4 + int Mod.

BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 2 0 2 Rapid Reload, , Trick Shot (least)
Weapon of Choice
2 3 1 3
3 3 1 3 Trick Shot (least)
4 4 1 4 Expert Shooter +1
5 4 2 4 Trick Shot (Least)
6 / 1 5 2 5
7/2 5 2 5 Trick Shot (Lesser)
8/3 6 3 6
9/4 6 3 6 Expert Shooter + 2 Trick Shot (Lesser)
10 / 5 7 3 6
11/ 6 / 1 7 4 7 Trick shot ( lesser)
12/ 7 / 2 8 4 8
13/ 8/3 8 4 8 Expert Shooter +3
14 /9 / 4 9 5 9 Trick Shot (Greater)
15 / 10 / 5 9 5 9
16 / 11 / 6 /1 10 5 10 Expert Shooter +4
17 / 12 / 7 /2 10 6 10 Trick shot (greater)
18 / 13 / 8 /3 11 6 11
19 / 14 / 9/4 11 6 11 Expert Shooter + 5
20/15/10/5 12 7 12 Trick shot (Greater)

Class Abilities

Weapon of Choice: the gunslinger devotes his focus to a single type of ranged weapon. all of the Gunslingers skills apply to only weapons of the same type as his weapon of choice. The GS is counted as having Weapon focus on his WoC.

Expert Shooter: This provides the gunslinger with a +1 (always stack) bonus to hit and damage with his weapon of choice. This improves to + 5 as the chart above.

Master of Ranged Combat: this allow the gunslinger to apply all abilities to any personal ranged weapon with which he is proficient.

Trick Shots: The gunslinger gets to choose trick shot every time the chart says of the level that the chart grants.

Least:
• Shoot the Hand: the GS can target held or carried items as per the sunder feat, or attempt a disarm as improved disarm uses dex versus str.
• Dance Boy: By firing at a humanoid targets feat, the GS can make a trip attempt, using his dex instead of strength
• Pistol Whip: the gunslinger can use his WoC as a melee weapon when pressed, It will do d6 bludgeoning 20crit. (note, any magical bonuses including expert shot apply to ammo fired from the gun not using it in this way)
• Draw!!: The GS may draw and fire his weapon of choice at the beginning of an encounter as a swift action, using this prior to initiative grants a surprise round
• Auto Reload: take 10 on reload checks.
• Rapid Reload lets GS reload WoC as move action.
• Second Weapon of choice
Lesser:
• Ricochet: the gunslinger can take a -5 to attack roll and rebound his shot allowing him to bypass cover. This requires at least a bullet sized piece of something with hardness ( 10) somewhere within the gunslinger range.
• The Stare: the gunslinger can use his icy stare to frighten opponents. As a standard action, The GS makes an opposed intimidate versus targets Will If the GS wins, the target is shaken, if he wins by more than 5 the target is frightened, more than 10 the target is panicked.
• Take Aim: if the Gunslinger takes a full round action to aim , he can add his iterative attack bonuses to his primary attack on his to hit and damage. Ie a 10th level GS has BAB 10 / 5 and takes a full round and adds + 5 to hit and damage.
• Called shot: The gunslinger can take the following called shots - 10 Head, auto threatens a crit. - 5 arms fort save, DC 5 + damage or arm is useless and all held items dropped for 1d4 rounds - 5 legs fort save DC 5+ damage or knocked prone and movement halved for d10 rounds.
• Swift Reload : Let’s GS Reload once per round as swift actions
• Gun foo: The GS may fire his pistol in melee without invoking an AoO, when combined with Pistol whip, the GS may take a shot and use pistol whip for any secondary attacks.

Greater

• Weak point,: Once per round, the gunslinger can fire a single shot at his highest BAB Which ignores DR of any kind
• Shoot through: By angling his shot and using the ricochet skill. This allows a single bullet to be fired at such an angel as to hit up to five enemies. If the first target is hit and takes half or more damage, the bullet passes through and the Gunslinger can make an attack on the next nearest enemy within 30 feet. This can repeat up to on enemy per 5 GS levels
• John Woo: The gunslinger has grown a supernatural bond with his WoC, this allows him to load his weapon at the beginning of combat and fire without reloading until the combat is finished. This is a supernatural ability. Ammunition is still used up, but doesn’t have to be loaded.
•

ALOR
2007-07-26, 09:47 PM
greetings all
I am the DM for rollfrenzy and i like this class at least its feel. But i worry it's over powered and since i'm the DM i'm probably to overly concerened. But please if any of the experianced class builders on this forum would give this class a read through and give us some advice I would most appreciate it
happy gaming

Tengu
2007-07-26, 09:52 PM
From a brief glance:

1. Light weapons? Don't you mean simple weapons?
2. Save progression is a bit odd.
3. Weak reflex save? For a gunslinger? I doubt it.

Kalessin
2007-07-27, 01:53 AM
I have always thought of the gunslinger to be a PrC. And perhaps most gunslingers have been fighter/rangers in the initial phases of their training and became gunslingers later on.

Swordguy
2007-07-27, 02:09 AM
Disagree. I see it as a base class. They start training at around age 6, which isn't indicative of a PrC to me.

Needs the Reflex save fixed. Honestly, it should probably get Monk saves. If something HAS to get shorted, it should be Fort.

Expert Shooter is probably a bit much. He's essentially at a base +25 to hit at lvl 20. I'd put in 4 of each Trick type (getting 12 in total instead of 9), give them a specific list of proficient weapons (like the Rogue or Bard), and give them some sort of cool, mechanically-unique bonus.

Something like this:

When a gunslinger critically hits a target, the target must make a Fort save, equal to the gunslinger's level plus half the damage dealt (rounding down) or be reduced to -1 hp (bleeding out as normal). If the normal damage would reduce the target to -1 or less in any case, this has no effect.

Gunslingers are badass.

You should also probably restrict ammunition. Restricted ammo was a major function of early DT books (until they started being able to teleport to NYC and buy all they needed). In any case, it's still not anywhere near the power of Druid or Wizard, so you're still good.

Darke
2007-07-27, 04:53 AM
Yes, a gunslinger would begin as a ranger, in the books, Roland began with a bow and arrow until he was 14 and thus a man.

Swordguy
2007-07-27, 05:45 AM
Yes, a gunslinger would begin as a ranger, in the books, Roland began with a bow and arrow until he was 14 and thus a man.

And when you consider that player characters start at 16+, it's not a PrC. All that indicates is that gunslingers are proficient in bows as part of their training.

To say nothing of the fact that gunslingers don't melee with two weapons, don't have favored enemies, don't really care about animals, and don't sneak about the woods like a green-clad ninja.

rollfrenzy
2007-07-27, 09:50 AM
Yeah I meant simple weapons, but a specific list is probably better.
Thanks for the help so far.

I agree about the saves. I will get them fixed, prolly good RFX and Will, poor fort.

I will also switch out the expert shooter for more tricks.

I am thinking about adding Two weapon fighting feats as tricks (maybe something slighty more effective than standard TWF)

About the tricks, do they seem ok? I need to add some more especially Greater, any ideas?

My Dm (the Mighty Alor, who is really cool, and great and awesome:smallbiggrin: ) was nervous about the "dance" (trip) trick, any thoughts on that in particular?

Garatolla
2007-07-27, 12:43 PM
I kind of envision the Gunslingers as a prestige class too, given that not everyone was good enough to become one, and were 'sent west' as I recall, or something in that vein. Not to mention that the gunslingers were crazy good at what they did - Roland was something else altogether, but Alain and Cuthbert were no slouches either. They also didn't get the drainpipes of death right off either, I seem to recall they had some 'apprentices guns' when Roland was travelling with his friends (my memory is terrible, so someone who has read the books more recently/remembers better feel free to amend or add to what I've said :) )

suckered_D.M.
2007-07-27, 11:21 PM
they would still get charecter feat progression, that would be a good way for them to custom tailer thier class further. Thats were two wepon would come in. (also i could not get half way through the second book even though my wife says they're the best books ever):smallwink:

cool class though i've been playin a long time and DM for a few years and i'm horrible at making class'

Arang
2007-07-28, 10:02 AM
I would've thought gunslingers would have Diplomacy. Wasn't it said at least a few times that gunslingers were more diplomats than fighters?

rollfrenzy
2007-07-30, 02:35 PM
Your absolutely right Arang, i will add that too. I have been busy, so haven't gotten a chance to update things yet, but thanks for the input so far.

Matthew
2007-08-01, 03:21 PM
How about something like this:

Gunslinger
{table=head]Class Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude Save|Reflex Save|Willpower Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Weapon Mastery +1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Bonus Feat

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Weapon Mastery +2

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+6|Weapon Mastery +3

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+7|Bonus Feat

11th|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+7|Bonus Feat

12th|
+12|
+8|
+8|
+8|Bonus Feat

13th|
+13|
+8|
+8|
+8|Weapon Mastery +4

14th|
+14|
+9|
+9|
+9|Bonus Feat

15th|
+15|
+9|
+9|
+9|Bonus Feat

16th|
+16|
+10|
+10|
+10|Bonus Feat

17th|
+17|
+10|
+10|
+10|Weapon Mastery +5

18th|
+18|
+11|
+11|
+11|Bonus Feat

19th|
+19|
+11|
+11|
+11|Bonus Feat

20th|
+20|
+12|
+12|
+12|Bonus Feat[/table]

Weapon Mastery: +1 Attack Bonus and +1 Damage Bonus

Gunslinger Bonus Feats: I'm thinking stuff like Rapid Shot, Improved Rapid Shot, Two Weapon Fighting, Shot on the Run, etc...