PDA

View Full Version : Background for a wizard

Feederman111
2017-03-11, 05:57 AM
Do you have any idea on background for a wizard (abjurer) ? I'm playing one but my backstory is too general, so i decided to ask you about this. So, anyone ?

Herobizkit
2017-03-11, 06:19 AM
Which Background did you take?

How much background do you need? It's all prior to/leading up to your adventuring career, after all.

How and why did you become a Wizard? Why did you choose abjuration as your focus?

Unoriginal
2017-03-11, 06:26 AM
Which species is your wizard? Where did they grow up?

Feederman111
2017-03-11, 07:24 AM
My wizard is a human. I takes the Sage background for him. The reason he becomes an abjurer is he thinks that protection is the most important thing, defensive is the best offensive. Morever, he want to protect his friends and family with his best so that nobody he loves should be harm. He's neutral good.

Edit: He grows up in Baldur's Gate, but later his family moved to Waterdeep while he pursue his art at Candlekeep.

Anderlith
2017-03-11, 08:24 AM
He could have spent time in a few wars protecting soldiers or a mercenary company.

His wizard school/university/tower could have suffered a scism where some of the people attacked the others & now he is dedicated to protecting against them. (Scism could be from some teachers/students turning darkside & serving demons/devils/other horrible entities, or just a political factor, or on of them turns lich & wants to take over the tower, etc)

Likes to study magical creatures, but sincd they don't like being poked with sticks he had to learn Abjuration.

Feederman111
2017-03-11, 08:42 AM
He could have spent time in a few wars protecting soldiers or a mercenary company.

His wizard school/university/tower could have suffered a scism where some of the people attacked the others & now he is dedicated to protecting against them. (Scism could be from some teachers/students turning darkside & serving demons/devils/other horrible entities, or just a political factor, or on of them turns lich & wants to take over the tower, etc)

Likes to study magical creatures, but sincd they don't like being poked with sticks he had to learn Abjuration.
This is a pretty good one. But imo, i dont like wizard serve in war.

Quoxis
2017-03-11, 10:29 AM
This is a pretty good one. But imo, i dont like wizard serve in war.

A variant would be him having been a simple foot soldier having seen most of his comrades die on the battlefield, and either to not have to suffer this himself or to save others from that destiny he decided to learn magic. Wizards are by D&D standards the guys who have to study for their powers, and that's a motivation to.

Specter
2017-03-11, 10:45 AM
Depends.

Exorcist? Acolyte/Folk Hero.
War Mage? Soldier/Noble.
School student? Sage/Cloistered Scholar.

Feederman111
2017-03-11, 11:24 AM
Depends.

Exorcist? Acolyte/Folk Hero.
War Mage? Soldier/Noble.
School student? Sage/Cloistered Scholar.
As I said, he's already a Sage. What I'm trying to ask is a backstory, sorry for misleading title.

Unoriginal
2017-03-11, 11:45 AM
Is he a human?

Specter
2017-03-11, 11:45 AM
As I said, he's already a Sage. What I'm trying to ask is a backstory, sorry for misleading title.

Well, then you're either Nerdy McGee from Hogwarts or the lone wizard atop a tower. Think about what made the character take the path he did, and then what made him start adventuring.

Feederman111
2017-03-11, 11:54 AM
Is he a human?
Yes, he is. I've already written that above.

Unoriginal
2017-03-11, 11:59 AM
My wizard is a human. I takes the Sage background for him. The reason he becomes an abjurer is he thinks that protection is the most important thing, defensive is the best offensive. Morever, he want to protect his friends and family with his best so that nobody he loves should be harm. He's neutral good.

Edit: He grows up in Baldur's Gate, but later his family moved to Waterdeep while he pursue his art at Candlekeep.

Sounds to me you already got all the background you'd need

Maybe think about how he came to value protection so much? Maybe he was attacked by a monster as a kid?

CursedRhubarb
2017-03-11, 12:05 PM
Well having grown up in Bauldur's Gate, what a messed up history that city has, perhaps he's a bit paranoid about demons trying to enter or take over the Material Plane or crazy adventurers destroying the city so that drives him to Abjuration to learn to defend against such crisis? Could have some relatives that were slain during the time the Bauldur's Gate games take place, grandparents or the like if it's been a while time wise, to further fuel the desire for Abjuration mastery.

Feederman111
2017-03-12, 12:52 AM
Well having grown up in Bauldur's Gate, what a messed up history that city has, perhaps he's a bit paranoid about demons trying to enter or take over the Material Plane or crazy adventurers destroying the city so that drives him to Abjuration to learn to defend against such crisis? Could have some relatives that were slain during the time the Bauldur's Gate games take place, grandparents or the like if it's been a while time wise, to further fuel the desire for Abjuration mastery.
Thanks, that crisis idea is very good, i could use it :D

Herobizkit
2017-03-12, 04:45 AM
Apologies if I missed it, but what did you pick as your Sage's specialty?

Feederman111
2017-03-12, 10:50 AM
Apologies if I missed it, but what did you pick as your Sage's specialty?
I pick researcher, it pairs well with his personality

Sigreid
2017-03-12, 03:24 PM
You could steal from The Librarian series. He knows exactly how dangerous magic can be and so has taken it upon himself to remove the more dangerous mystical artifacts to some hidden collection. This will, of course mean you have to establish a hidden collection. :D