PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Modifying a Demilich

Keral
2017-03-11, 07:18 AM
Hi!

I'm preparing a NPC for my campaign, I wanted it to be a medium between Lich and Demilich, so I was wondering how much the CR would decrease if I were to remove a few of the Demilich's abilities.

So here's what I was thinking of removing:

Size change
Trap the soul ability
Fear aura*
Magic Immunity
Paralyzing touch*

The base CR increase for the Demilich template is +6, if I were to remove these things would it become +5 or +4?

*These are also removed from the Lich template, these would be quite detrimental to the NPC I have in mind.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ATHATH
2017-03-11, 08:07 AM
Just keep in mind that even if you remove the magic immunity or other traits, your players might think that your modified demilich still has them.

Melcar
2017-03-11, 09:17 AM
Hi!

I'm preparing a NPC for my campaign, I wanted it to be a medium between Lich and Demilich, so I was wondering how much the CR would decrease if I were to remove a few of the Demilich's abilities.

So here's what I was thinking of removing:

Size change
Trap the soul ability
Fear aura*
Magic Immunity
Paralyzing touch*

The base CR increase for the Demilich template is +6, if I were to remove these things would it become +5 or +4?

*These are also removed from the Lich template, these would be quite detrimental to the NPC I have in mind.

Thanks in advance for your help!

May I suggest that you look in Monsters of Faerūn. Faerunian liches are more powerful, than MM1 liches. They have a number of demi-lich-like abilities, just less poserful. You can choose yourself which and how many of the abilities they have. They are very cool!

EDIT: Remember two things: 1) A lich just needs to be level 11. 2) The magic immunity is only against spell with SR: Yes. Spells like Acid orb still harms them normally.

Keral
2017-03-11, 09:38 AM
Mh I'm not sure anyone knows by heart what traits they have among my players. They would have to look it up. Unless they metagame they'll know what I'll tell them with a knowledge check.
Also it's not really a NPC intended to battle them. In my design it's supposed to be somewhat of an ally/neutral guy. But since my players often disrupt my plan they might as well decide to antagonize and attack him. So that's why I'd like to have him statted out. But that's also why I wouldn't bother much if the players metagame info and end up being wrong.

As for the faerūn lich I'll look it up once I get home, thanks!

frogglesmash
2017-03-11, 02:18 PM
Hallway between a Lich and a Demilich? A Hemidemilich?

Zanos
2017-03-11, 03:00 PM
EDIT: Remember two things: 1) A lich just needs to be level 11. 2) The magic immunity is only against spell with SR: Yes. Spells like Acid orb still harms them normally.
For demi lichen this was never updated, so they're still immune to all magical and supernatural effects.