PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next homebrew mana system.

kelbar
2017-03-11, 10:03 AM
hi kinda new to giantitp , would like community help

homebrew campaign bible i work on think of going with MANA system, i would like people help to test with,
not allowing multi-classing seeing got same new players.

Mana points -at each level get 1d6 or 2d6 depending on class as wells spell casting bonus
(spell given my racial do not need mana)

2d6 Bards 1d6 Ranger
2d6 Clerics 1d6 Paladin
2d6 Druid
2d6 Warlock
2d6 Sorceress 1d6 (eldritch knight) fighter
2d6 Wizards 1d6 (arcane trickster) rouge

could people have look at MANA and give me numbers they get at each level

many thanks.

LeonBH
2017-03-11, 12:39 PM
I dislike this because it makes some spellcasters stronger than others just because of random chance. Especially at early levels, where not enough rolls have been made for the averages to come out, this discrepancy is going to be very pronounced.

If you want a mana system, there is a spell point system in DMG 288 which does the same thing, and I'd advise you to look at it and draw inspiration from it.

That said, a spellcasting system based on d6's would need to account for the difference between half casters (Paladins, Rangers) and third casters (Eldritch Knights, Arcane Tricksters). So you should probably set full casters to 6d6, half casters to 3d6, and third casters to 2d6; just to account for the correct ratio of caster levels in terms of number of d6's.

How do these work, anyway? For each spell level you cast, you consume 1 point of mana?

kelbar
2017-03-11, 04:41 PM
this is what i thinking but it might be the best. i have read the pages from DMG
spell points hurt lesser spell caster in my view.

1st 2
2nd 3
3rd 5
4th 6
5th 7
6th 9
7th 10
8th 11
9th.13

Deepbluediver
2017-03-11, 11:10 PM
Are you looking to give spellcasters a pool of points to use, kind of like the 3.5 Psionics system? I know there are conversions for that kind of thing for 3.5- I'd recommend looking some of them up and then using that as inspiration for porting an equivalent system to 5th edition.

Superstition
2017-03-11, 11:52 PM
Before we go into actually developing a numerical system for your magic, I want to first ask how you imagine magic works in your world. You are homebrewing, so you actually have a lot of flexibility to have your magic system actually contribute to the world and story than something that is tacked on because you're using DnD 3.5e or whatever.

Here are a list of tried-and-true variant rules on magic that cover all sorts of potential magic concepts. You can take them as is, or customize the system if you want to put in the time and effort to tailor a system for your campaign.

As an example, if people in your world obtain and gather magic naturally, you might look at Recharge magic; if they have more control of magic than simply preparing artillery shells filled with arcane power, spell points is the way to go; if your magic requires you to sacrifice life force, vitality magic is worth a consideration.

Consider what kind of magic and drawbacks you want, read through this SRD, and then we can discuss tweaks or how to combine the magic system to make something that will add depth to your game. Or, look through the SRD, pick a system, and run through it. The SRD will tell you specific problems you might have with it (such as the recharge making casters considerably more powerful). You are free to come to the board and ask ways on how to raise or reduce the power of specific players and classes, if you later realize one or two of your players are doing too well, or perhaps too poorly compared to the others.

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantMagic.htm