PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Sorcerous Origins/bloodlines

Typhon
2017-03-11, 11:41 AM
Sorcerers!

Need a boost or need a re-write, either is debatable and has been debated here. I am not concerned about that so much as I am curious about something else.

What origins/bloodlines would people most like to see official material for and what general fluff might you like to see for it?

The easy ones I can think of are Fey and Shadow touched, as well as a celestial option. Fey would have more illusion and charm options. Shadow more illusion and necromancy options. Celestial would be a slight flavoring of protection and healing. Feindish is mostly necro, evocation, transmutation. I know that some would say favored soul could cover all of those, but that feels more like a sorcerer that is called to take that mantle than a chosen line of power.Those are just ones I have thought odd to have missing at launch considering how they laid out the dimensional topology.

What are some of the thoughts of other playgrounders?

Millstone85
2017-03-11, 12:11 PM
Any of the warlock's otherworldly patrons could have a matching sorcerous origin:
* Fey Heritage, usually manifested among elves.
* Fiendish Taint, usually manifested among tieflings.
* Far Spawn, surprisingly common among humans.
* Hollow Birth, the ultimate offense of undeath.

Maybe just one origin, Sins of the Father, that uses the warlock like Favored Soul uses the cleric.

solidork
2017-03-11, 12:34 PM
I really want a fey origin. I'm thinking about sort of cobbling one together from other UA material that I like.

Level 1 Ability - Like the Favored Soul, but you get to pick from the Druid spell list instead of Cleric.
Additional level 1 abilities?
Level 6 Ability - Mantle of Majesty from the College of Glamor subclass. This might be a little too powerful as is, but there are plenty of tweaks you could make.
Level 14 Ability - Maybe magic resistance?
Level 18 Ability - ???

It also would be cool if they did something that played up the "oaths" part of the fey that is prevalent in a lot of fiction about faeries.

Asmotherion
2017-03-11, 01:15 PM
-A revised Dragon Bloodline, with a Lv 18 ability to turn into a Dragon. I don't care so much about the mechanics, as the fact that all Arcane Casters can turn into Dragons one way or the Other, EXCEPT the Sorcerer (including the Dragonic Bloodline), and that bothers me a lot.

-The UA Bloodlines cover a lot of what I'd like to see, but need re-working.

-Ultimate Magus; A Sorcerer that keeps a Spellbook and can swap up to Cha Mod Spells Known with spells in his spellbook during a long Rest. He has access to the Wizard Spell List, but can have a maximum total of Cha Mod wizard spells prepared at any given time.

Typhon
2017-03-11, 01:34 PM
-A revised Dragon Bloodline, with a Lv 18 ability to turn into a Dragon. I don't care so much about the mechanics, as the fact that all Arcane Casters can turn into Dragons one way or the Other, EXCEPT the Sorcerer (including the Dragonic Bloodline), and that bothers me a lot.

-The UA Bloodlines cover a lot of what I'd like to see, but need re-working.

-Ultimate Magus; A Sorcerer that keeps a Spellbook and can swap up to Cha Mod Spells Known with spells in his spellbook during a long Rest. He has access to the Wizard Spell List, but can have a maximum total of Cha Mod wizard spells prepared at any given time.

Yeah, that is actually an issue I have with sorcerer and wizard is there is no generalized universal mage/magus option. I like my wizards to be optionful and unlimited in spell selection. I could easily see a magus as a sorcerer tapped directly to magic, and that is a good concept.

The higher level shapeshifting is an issue, but that is part of the total issue that people seem to have with sorcerer.