PDA

View Full Version : Helping a player advice

dnd2016
2017-03-11, 11:58 AM
Let's say I'm concentrating on a spell, instead of attacking with vicious mockery or a weapon should I instead help a teammate with sharp shooter or sneak attack so he can get advantage?

Goosefarble
2017-03-11, 12:04 PM
It depends on the situation, but generally speaking aiding a player is always a solid move, particularly if they're a rogue and need advantage for sneak attack. If you have a high Strength score, you could also try to grapple the enemy to reduce their speed to 0.

Specter
2017-03-11, 12:04 PM
Yep. Advantage that gives more damage (like in sneak attack) is always good. The scenario where you use Vicious Mockery is when you need to help a friend that's getting hammered.

Addaran
2017-03-11, 01:10 PM
Let's say I'm concentrating on a spell, instead of attacking with vicious mockery or a weapon should I instead help a teammate with sharp shooter or sneak attack so he can get advantage?

That fact that you are concentrating or not on a spell doesn't change the question. Even when you aren't concentrating on a spell, sometimes aid another would be better then just vicious mockery or weapon attacking.

If anyone in the team have GWM or SS but don't already have advantage, your probably better with help.

Anyone with only one pick attack per round is also great (rogue, but also the likes of cleric who took the SCAG cantrips)

Situations where you're better not aiding another:
1) Fighting a creature resistant/immune to pretty much everything the party have except psychic damage.
2) The enemies are already "crowd controlled" so everyone already have advantage.
3) You're low on HP and would better help the team staying away from danger.