PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Feat(s) like a 5e Fighter's Action Surge

Allstar
2017-03-11, 02:42 PM
I'm looking for a feat or feats to let someone do something extra a limited amount per day, for example 1 extra attack, spontaneously cast a spell faster, an extra movement, Take 10 on a skill in half the time etc etc.

I want it to be something 'extra' so no re-roll abilities (plenty of those to find in Races of Destiny or Complete Scoundrel.)

I'm going to offer it as a gift to a player, a feat that let's them do all these things faster or they can choose one of these N feats that let you do something faster, in either case a limited amount per day.

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-11, 02:46 PM
Eberron action points maybe?

Firechanter
2017-03-11, 02:55 PM
Hmmm, there's not very much in terms of feats, as far as I'm aware.

* Travel Devotion: Move as a Swift Action, N times per day, fueled by Turn Undead attempts. If you don't have TU, you get only 1/day.
One of the reasons why (Cloistered) Cleric 1 is probably the single most overpowered Dip in the entire game.
Personally I'd rewrite that to grant uses per day maybe level-based, but not fueled by TU.

* Sudden Quicken: spontaneously cast an extra spell, without slot increase, but the Prereqs are extremely harsh: six particular metamagic feats. (Quicken Spell + 5 other "Suddens")

* Martial Maneuver: Time Stands Still. You get to do not one but two Full Attacks. However, due to required Initiator Level, unattainable to anyone but Martial Adepts, and even then min level 17.

Apart from that, the Belt of Battle comes to mind. Spend Charges to gain additional Move, Standard or even Full Round Actions. Costs 12K GP if memory serves.

Fuzzy McCoy
2017-03-13, 10:35 PM
Dragonlance's Age of Mortals contains Heroic Surge, 1/day/5 levels take an extra standard action. That's the gist of it, certainly.

Darrin
2017-03-14, 08:41 AM
Dragonlance's Age of Mortals contains Heroic Surge, 1/day/5 levels take an extra standard action. That's the gist of it, certainly.

Heroic Surge shows up in several D20 games, or rather, those that use action points. Star Wars 20, Wheel of Time D20, and a few others.

Even if you don't use action points, it's easy enough to kitbash it into a 3.5/SRD game: 1/day you get an action point and can use the feat.

Fuzzy McCoy
2017-03-14, 11:31 AM
Darrin, I was under the impression Heroic Surge just straight up gave an extra standard action, without any need for fussing with action points? I know Action Surge from Eberron grants an extra standard or move action for the cost of two action points - did you conflate the two?

Darrin
2017-03-14, 11:58 AM
Darrin, I was under the impression Heroic Surge just straight up gave an extra standard action, without any need for fussing with action points? I know Action Surge from Eberron grants an extra standard or move action for the cost of two action points - did you conflate the two?

Most likely.

There's a version of Heroic Surge (https://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/modern/smack/featorder.html#Heroic) in d20 Modern. Same basic idea. Extra move or standard X/day, where X = character level/4.

Uncle Pine
2017-03-14, 12:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken, there is a paragraph somewhere in the section of the ECS about action points detailing how to use them as a reward for players in campaigns where they aren't normally available. It could also be in UA (where action points are similarly described).