PDA

View Full Version : Sublime Way [insert core class]

tedcahill2
2017-03-11, 03:05 PM
So I know the entry for the swordsage had an example of how you can adapt the class for a monk-like unarmed fighter.

How about the other classes? Has there been any discussion on that? Like a barbarian with access to tiger claw strikes or a rogue with shadow maneuvers?

Karl Aegis
2017-03-11, 03:41 PM
Swordsage already is a good unarmed fighter. What do you want, like a good fortitude save or something?

Malimar
2017-03-11, 03:47 PM
I have been thinking much the past few days about a possible ACF that would swap paladin spellcasting for a progression of White Raven maneuvers, or ranger spellcasting for a progression of Tiger Claw maneuvers, and so on. I think it could work, but I don't know what the progression would look like (other than, presumably, beginning at level 4).

I've also considered giving every non-spellcasting class a limited maneuver progression, selecting from one specific discipline per class (except fighter, which can naturally pick any one of the player's choice). But this is a bit more of a major overhaul than I'm likely to actually want to do.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-11, 04:09 PM
Pathfinder does something like that with Path of War. There's discipline-using archetypes for all the classes except primary spellcasters iirc.

They're on the SRD, so you should take a look for inspiration even if you don't want to use PF content.

Murmaider
2017-03-11, 04:17 PM
I've also considered giving every non-spellcasting class a limited maneuver progression, selecting from one specific discipline per class (except fighter, which can naturally pick any one of the player's choice). But this is a bit more of a major overhaul than I'm likely to actually want to do.

I've had this idea as well, but I would include Paladin and Ranger as well. I think delayed progression spellcasting is comparable to a Barbarians rage in terms of power, so why not let them combine it with some maneuvers.

Classes from other books, with their own "magic" systems(Binder, Totemist, Psywar, etc.), I'd exclude. But I assume you were just talking about core classes anyway.

What way to refresh their maneuvers would you give them, though?

Malimar
2017-03-11, 04:27 PM
I've had this idea as well, but I would include Paladin and Ranger as well. I think delayed progression spellcasting is comparable to a Barbarians rage in terms of power, so why not let them combine it with some maneuvers.

Classes from other books, with their own "magic" systems(Binder, Totemist, Psywar, etc.), I'd exclude. But I assume you were just talking about core classes anyway.

What way to refresh their maneuvers would you give them, though?

Not just Core -- specifically on my mind has been Knight, which would benefit from having... actually, come to think of it, Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, and White Raven, so I would might have to drop the "classes from outside ToB get access to one discipline only" deal, or maybe make each Knight pick one of those three.

But no, by "spellcasting" I mean all the variations on magic and the supernatural. Maybe give a maneuver progression to Soulborn and Soulknife and the other very weak supernatural folks. ...so I suppose really the best way would be to do it by tier instead of by spellcasting ability.

I'd probably say everybody refreshes as warblades except divine casters who refresh as crusaders. But there's a lot of room for more nuance there.

tedcahill2
2017-03-11, 06:02 PM
I can definitely see adapting rangers and paladins, by replacing spells with maneuvers. Is a level 1 maneuver/stance roughly equivalent to a level 1 spell? If so than adapting it would be easy.

I'm thinking about the play style of my group as I consider giving the "mundane" classes maneuvers/stances. A few of my players have some real love for barbarians, specifically rage, so I know I won't be able to talk them out of playing a barbarian, but if I could give the barbarian some maneuvers/stances to use it would add a lot to what they can do.