PDA

View Full Version : Go to sleep, dear Warforged; How to neutralise living constructs?

JW86
2017-03-11, 03:44 PM
I'm due to DM tomorrow.

The Dread Wraith Beguiler with his Runestaff of Sleep shouldn't have too much problem putting the PCs to sleep with his spells, the only issue is one of the PCs is Warforged.

What are the best ways of neutralising a Warforged without outright killing one? At the moment, I'll probably just have to Dominate him and have him tie up the rest of his party. An NPC later after they wake up could break the domination. Any tidier solutions?

Calthropstu
2017-03-11, 05:38 PM
Suggestion might be cleaner.

Hold construct should work, hold monster definitely will. Give the caster a charmed monster and there is a monster capable of time hopping 10 minutes into the future. Sic that on the warforged.

noob
2017-03-11, 05:43 PM
Do non lethal damage works on them?
"warforged are subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage"
I guess you could make him unconscious with nonlethal damage.
(there is a meta-magic called nonlethal substitution)

Thurbane
2017-03-11, 06:10 PM
Unlike other constructs, a warforged is not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.

Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain.

Warforged are susceptible to stunning and daze effects. How long do you need the warforged out of action?

Assuming this is for your beguiler wraith, here's are some spell options:

Beguiler spells -
Whelm/Whelming Blast/Mass Whelm/Inevitable Defeat (nonlethal damage)
Daze Monster (only up to 6 HD)
Hold Monster
Power Word Stun
Scintillating Pattern
Other spells -
Curse of the Putrid Husk (BoVD): dazed 1 round, then unconscious for 1d10 minutes.
Dolorous Motes (BoED): dazed for 1 round/level (new save each round).
Stupor (BoVD): basically can't take any actions for 1 hour/level.
Tormenting Thrst (Sandstorm): if there are liquids nearby, all the target can do is drink for the duration.

JW86
2017-03-12, 05:13 AM
Thank you Thurbane, and everyone else. As a 1st time DM, I hugely appreciate the assistance.

rel
2017-03-13, 02:13 AM
my 1st level answer is normally colorspray.

Zanos
2017-03-13, 02:22 AM
Hit him until his hitpoints are negative. Living Constructs aren't automatically destroyed at 0 hit points like normal constructs.