PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spellcasting Focus and Somatic Components

OgreBane99
2017-03-11, 07:08 PM
Hi everyone. I did a quick search in the forums and didn't see this topic yet. Forgive me if I missed it.

I'm working on some house rules and custom feats and looking into Spellcasting Focuses (foci?). Looking up the rules in Chapter 5 and Chapter 10 of the PHB, there isn't too much. On page 203 of the PHB it talks about a spellcasting focus taking the place of non-value material components. Further with material components, it says you have to have a hand free to access material components, but that hand "can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components".

So does that mean a wizard could have a sword in one hand and a wand in another and be considered to have a free hand for casting a spell with a somatic component, using the wand as a material component?

Yuki Akuma
2017-03-11, 07:12 PM
Only if the spell requires a material component. If the spell doesn't require a material component, he needs to free one of his hands before he can cast it.

Yes, I know it's weird, and you should houserule it.

Arkhios
2017-03-11, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone. I did a quick search in the forums and didn't see this topic yet. Forgive me if I missed it.

I'm working on some house rules and custom feats and looking into Spellcasting Focuses (foci?). Looking up the rules in Chapter 5 and Chapter 10 of the PHB, there isn't too much. On page 203 of the PHB it talks about a spellcasting focus taking the place of non-value material components. Further with material components, it says you have to have a hand free to access material components, but that hand "can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components".

So does that mean a wizard could have a sword in one hand and a wand in another and be considered to have a free hand for casting a spell with a somatic component, using the wand as a material component?

Yes, it does. Although only if the spell has both Somatic and Material components. If the spell has only Somatic components, you would need a hand free.

OgreBane99
2017-03-11, 07:14 PM
Interesting. Okay, thank you for the quick replies!

JumboWheat01
2017-03-11, 07:15 PM
Yes, it does. Although only if the spell has both Somatic and Material components. If the spell has only Somatic components, you would need a hand free.

Or the Warcaster Feat.

But yeah, it seems to be a fairly common houserule that lets you cast a spell while holding onto your focus, material cost or no.

Tanarii
2017-03-11, 10:09 PM
You need a hand free to access the foci. So as long as it's easy accessible (on a belt loop or something) you can cast a spell with both a S component and a non-cost M component if you have a free hand. Or you could just have it in hand already (or on a Shield in hand already for Holy Symbol casters) and use it for both.

(It's occurred to me before that technically if it's already in hand someone could argue that the hand isn't free. But that seems like a stupid technicality given the wording of the PHB so I'm probably just wrong.)

Millstone85
2017-03-11, 10:42 PM
Here is how I make sense of this:
* S only: gestures in empty air (e.g. Vulcan salute with four fingers crossed)
* S + M: manipulation of an object (e.g. 37 degree rotation counterclockwise)

sir_argo
2017-03-12, 01:47 AM
I just want to understand...

Right Hand: sword
Left Hand: wand

Spell: V,S,M
We're good. Left hand wand counts as a material component and the description of Material (M) states, "...must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components."

Spell: V,M
We're good. Left hand has a material component and no somatic is required.

Spell: V,S
No good. Spell does not require material components, so the (M) rule of same hand counting for both M and S doesn't apply. So the rule from (S) is used by itself, which states a hand must be free.

If the caster has the Warcaster feat...

We're good. The right hand, holding the sword, can be used to perform the somatic.

Is that how it all goes?

Arkhios
2017-03-12, 02:34 AM
I just want to understand...

Right Hand: sword
Left Hand: wand

Spell: V,S,M
We're good. Left hand wand counts as a material component and the description of Material (M) states, "...must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components."

Spell: V,M
We're good. Left hand has a material component and no somatic is required.

No good. Spell does not require material components, so the (M) rule of same hand counting for both M and S doesn't apply. So the rule from (S) is used by itself, which states a hand must be free.

If the caster has the Warcaster feat...

We're good. The right hand, holding the sword, can be used to perform the somatic.

Is that how it all goes?

That's how the cookie crumbles. (Sorry! :smallbiggrin:)

Tanarii
2017-03-12, 03:07 AM
No good. Spell does not require material components, so the (M) rule of same hand counting for both M and S doesn't apply. So the rule from (S) is used by itself, which states a hand must be free.Easy solution: don't hold the wand in your hand.

You need a free hand to access a material component ... or focus. If your hand is free, and your wand is accessible, you can use if for VSM. No extra object interaction needed, it's part of casting a spell, per the M component rules, to use your free hand to access the M component (or focus)

If you are casting a VS, you use your free hand to do that without accessing the component.

Done and done.

Edit: this is the situation I was thinking of when I said having the focus in your hand means the hand isn't free. Not for casting VSM spells, but for casting VS spells. So it *does* matter, it is not just a technicality. Which is why you don't carry your focus I your hand. Instead you have it on a belt loop and just access it with your free hand when needed.

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 08:48 AM
I'm a fan of having a component pouch as a backup on all my casters in case they lose their focus. Another good option is a crystal on a necklace. That keeps it readily accessible for when you need to cast a spell. In the meantime, just keep one hand free. Fondle your crystal and then point and zap.