PDA

View Full Version : refluff for confusion

Calthropstu
2017-03-11, 10:05 PM
I have always disliked the mechanics of the confusion spell. I can see randomly redirecting attacks, but I don't see forcing an attack. I could see spellcasting being a thing but with greatly increased difficulty and the same targetting issues.

I have seen, and suffered from, the effects of what can only be considered confusion in real life. Generally brought on by high fever, decision making becomes highly difficult.

So here goes my attempt to make a more accurate confusion spell.

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4, Trickery 4
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: All creatures in a 15-ft. radius burst
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates, will partial see below.
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell makes decision making quite difficult. The targets are reduced to half their movement and must make a will save in order to take a standard action at a -2 modifier. In order to make a longer action, two willsaves must be made. In addition, the targets suffer from 50% spell failure rate, unreducable. All targetting of attacks, spells and other abilities have a 25% chance of going to the wrong target. If this happens, if the attack/spell/ability was targeting an enemy, redirect it to an ally in range(add movement if needed) If targetting an ally, likewise redirect to an enemy in range.

--------------------

Like I said, I have experienced severe confusion, and though it was in a non combat situation, I kept wandering around changing what I was doing. I was in the process of getting dressed and I went from going to grab my belt, to leaving it to put on my shirt, forgot my undershirt, put on the wrong shoes, and all sorts of other issues. It turned out I had a 102 fever and could barely walk. Terrible feeling... but applying that mental state to combat, I could see someone start casting a buff spell, start thinking they were casting an attack spell and hit an enemy with it or similar issues. Or maybe getting turned around and attacking an ally instead of an enemy.

But it doesn't put an impetus in your head to make you do things outside of your own decisions. There is concious effort into everythinv you do. It can just change at random in mid execution.

So, what do you guys think? Is this a better confusion effect or worse?

Bronk
2017-03-11, 10:11 PM
Well, this could be your new 'confusion spell', and the original could be 'madness' instead, which would match up to the permanent version, 'insanity'.

jmax
2017-03-11, 10:42 PM
Well, this could be your new 'confusion spell', and the original could be 'madness' instead, which would match up to the permanent version, 'insanity'.

I like this. Especially because I was going to suggest that Calthropstu drop the spell level by one if making the proposed change, which most definitely weakens the spell and I think makes it at best equal in power to slow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm). (Personally, even at Sor/Wiz 3, I'd still opt for slow, but it's in the right ballpark.)

A Sor/Wiz progression of ( 3 Confusion | 4 Madness | 7 Insanity ) sounds perfect. Works for Bard at ( 2 | 3 | - ) as well.