PDA

View Full Version : Extra attack confusion

Azazel_Unbound
2017-03-11, 10:30 PM
So extra attack: "If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more than one class, the features don’t add together. You can’t make more than two attacks with this feature
unless it says you do (as the fighter’s version of Extra Attack does). Similarly, the warlock’s eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn’t give you additional attacks if you
also have Extra Attack."

Does this mean if I were to have extra attack from fighter, and say barbarian; does this mean they don't stack?

Ferrin33
2017-03-11, 10:33 PM
That's correct, they don't stack and they're not added together.

Azazel_Unbound
2017-03-11, 10:50 PM
That feels mildly underpowering, don't you think?

Matrix_Walker
2017-03-11, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I kinda do... But they want it to be the domain of the single classed fighter, so there it is.

Human Paragon 3
2017-03-11, 11:02 PM
Without it, you could go Fighter 5/Barbarian 5/Ranger 5/Monk 5 and get all their front loaded class features and still attack 4 times.

Or skip the fighter all together and use one of the spellcasters that get extra attack.

Fighter's entire thing is the extra attacks. Every other class has some other means to stack damage on top (smite, flurry, horde breaker, rage, etc.). It'd be overpowered to let them stack IMO. Plus, why would a paladin ranger 5/5 get two extra attacks when a Paladin 20 only gets one?

Asmotherion
2017-03-11, 11:11 PM
No, they don't stack.

The only ways to stack extra attacks is the Fighter's Extra Attack, and two weapon fighting.

Extra Attack is a feature that "buffs" your Attack action by the amount of attacks it says. Two weapon Fighting allows you to make a second attack each turn using your off-hand weapon, during your melee attack action.

Ferrin33
2017-03-11, 11:15 PM
Extra Attack is one of the most powerful features in-game, as it's effectively multiplicative scaling. Your +1 damage from any source gets double as you get twice the number of attacks with it. It's there so any martial character is at least competent in combat without expending any resources.

If you look at the point at which the Fighter gets his 3rd attack(2nd Extra Attack), the paladin would gain extra damage to all of his attacks, the ranger gets a feature that also increases his potential damage. Not all classes get their "damage boost" at the same level, the barbarian gets a rage upgrade at level 9, for example. But the intent is clear; different ways of boosting damage output. It's also one of the only things unique about the fighter, why stick to fighter if you can pick up cooler abilities from another class and still get to your extra attacks?

FinnS
2017-03-12, 12:17 AM
The only "Extra Attack" that stacks is the Ranger/Hunter Horde Breaker ability which gives you a free (not bonus or reaction) attack vs a hostile enemy within 5' of your initial target that you made a weapon attack against.
Yes, the wording allows for it to apply to ranged.

rollingForInit
2017-03-12, 04:10 AM

The classes are balanced around a specific number of attacks. A Fighter 5/Paladin 15 is supposed to have 2, not 3 attacks. Paladins get smites, they get extra damage on all their melee attacks, etc. It'd be too good if they got a 3rd attack from their Attack Action.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-03-12, 05:51 AM

Nope. Seems fine to me. It's not like multi-classing doesn't still allow for some powerful combinations. Fighters (and rangers with the right spell) get more than two attacks because they don't get as many damage bonuses as paladins and the like.

skaddix
2017-03-12, 07:18 AM
I am fine with it not stacking. I am annoyed that the fighter gets double the attacks of everyone else.

I think Rogue, Ranger and Monk should get 3.

FinnS
2017-03-12, 07:46 AM
I am fine with it not stacking. I am annoyed that the fighter gets double the attacks of everyone else.

Except against the Rogue, Fighters don't get any where near double the attacks of Rangers or Monks.

Monks start with the most attacks of anyone, 3.
4 by level 5.
A fighter isn't capable of 4 attacks (double that of a Rogue) until level 11
Ranger/Hunters are capable of 3 by level 3 and 4 at level 5 when fighting multiple opponents.
Ranged Rangers are capable of 4 attacks (5 if a Hunter with Horde breaker against multiple targets) by level 17
A rogue by level 11 may only be capable of 2 attacks but one of those attacks is almost the equivalent of 3 Greatsword attacks.

So no, the Rogue, Ranger and Monk should not get 3 as a base.

Vaz
2017-03-12, 11:16 AM
Extra Attack is one of the most powerful features in-game, as it's effectively multiplicative scaling. Your +1 damage from any source gets double as you get twice the number of attacks with it. It's there so any martial character is at least competent in combat without expending any resources.

If you look at the point at which the Fighter gets his 3rd attack(2nd Extra Attack), the paladin would gain extra damage to all of his attacks, the ranger gets a feature that also increases his potential damage. Not all classes get their "damage boost" at the same level, the barbarian gets a rage upgrade at level 9, for example. But the intent is clear; different ways of boosting damage output. It's also one of the only things unique about the fighter, why stick to fighter if you can pick up cooler abilities from another class and still get to your extra attacks?

No, Extra Attack is one of the biggest crutches in game that allow non-casters to attempt to keep up.

That it is required to help non-casters does not make it powerful.

rooneg
2017-03-12, 11:21 AM

Ok, Rogue doesn't get any right now, and adding it to the class would require you to completely nerf the Sneak Attack dice, otherwise their DPR would go through the roof.

Ranger and Monk don't get 3 because they get a whole pile of other abilities instead. The 3rd attack is the best thing the fighter gets in tier 3. If you want to have that in another class you have to start hacking away a the other tier 3 abilities it gets, most of which are pretty cool.

Human Paragon 3
2017-03-12, 01:35 PM
No, Extra Attack is one of the biggest crutches in game that allow non-casters to attempt to keep up.

That it is required to help non-casters does not make it powerful.

So it's not powerful, but it allows martials to keep up with casters, which are powerful?

:smallconfused:

Malifice
2017-03-12, 09:51 PM
I wouldnt mind granting a small bonus as a rule. Dead levels suck

A fighting style or similar. Maybe proficiency in a skill.

MrMcBobb
2017-03-13, 11:29 AM

Spells are a crutch to help skinny gimps keep up with Martials. :smallcool:

NNescio
2017-03-13, 11:37 AM
Spells are a crutch to help skinny gimps keep up with Martials. :smallcool:

My EK takes offense at that.