PDA

View Full Version : Shield of Missile Attraction for a monk

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 01:27 AM
My friend thought of this and it immediately struck me as brilliant. It then occurred to me that it has a big potential downside.

The idea is you attune to the shield to get the curse, then unattune so you can attune to something else. You obviously don't want to use the shield as a monk. Now any missile attacks on someone within 10 ft of you target you instead. Now you can catch the missile and throw it back.

Obvious downside: If you're in melee with enemies and your allies want to shoot them, they can't.

I've decided to try to work around the downside. My monk has always been about the mobile feat. He moves in, attacks, and then backs away. I feel like I just need to be more conscious of this and make sure I let any ranged team members know about my issues.

Anyone else actually tried this? What do you think?

tkuremento
2017-03-12, 01:41 AM
I mean if everyone is okay with it then cool, but to me it feels too meta-game-y. I'd possibly allow it if someone else who actually wants the shield attuned to it first and was like "oh crap, curse" and then you see the benefits of it and willingly curse yourself.

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 01:47 AM
I mean if everyone is okay with it then cool, but to me it feels too meta-game-y. I'd possibly allow it if someone else who actually wants the shield attuned to it first and was like "oh crap, curse" and then you see the benefits of it and willingly curse yourself.

I don't get how it's any more meta-gamey than figuring out any other magic item by whatever means (Identify, experimentation, in 5e just attuning at which point you're already cursed) and then deciding whether to use it. In my case that's exactly what happened. I was in a party with someone who had one. I decided I wanted that curse so I borrowed it for the evening and attuned.

Funny story. I had just traded an item for the shield but still needed to trade it from my other PC to my monk (this is AL). Then tonight joined a party with someone who had it. The curse stays until a Remove Curse so now I'm good until I get a Remove Curse. If I lose the curse but then want it back, I can go forward with my initial plans for the trade and renew it.

tkuremento
2017-03-12, 01:50 AM
I don't get how it's any more meta-gamey than figuring out any other magic item by whatever means (Identify, experimentation, in 5e just attuning at which point you're already cursed) and then deciding whether to use it. In my case that's exactly what happened. I was in a party with someone who had one. I decided I wanted that curse so I borrowed it for the evening and attuned.

You are using a curse specifically as a possible benefit because of one specific classes features. Again I said less so if you did that thing which you've done.

JNAProductions
2017-03-12, 01:53 AM
You are using a curse specifically as a possible benefit because of one specific classes features. Again I said less so if you did that thing which you've done.

That actually sounds really smart when put that way. I say go for it!

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 01:53 AM
You are using a curse specifically as a possible benefit because of one specific classes features.

Sure. I would posit that's exactly how the shield is intended to be used. Someone who's job is to tank and protect the party attunes to the shield. It then attracts missiles away from other party members while helping to protect the wielder from said missiles. My friend just happened to think of another synergistic use of the item with another class' features that maybe hadn't occurred to many before.

Spore
2017-03-12, 01:55 AM
I mean if everyone is okay with it then cool, but to me it feels too meta-game-y.

Not in the slightest. This is hubris (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubris) in its purest form and any good DM will let it slide for a while and then have the player pay the price. There are many downsides and enemies can and will abuse this if they know it.

1) Bandits focus the monk with ranged weapons because he can only deflect one per turn.

2) The monk will use his reaction to deflect even more missiles so he has nothing when it comes to retreating crossbow marksmen.

3) ???

4) Arrow riddled Monk.

tkuremento
2017-03-12, 02:03 AM
Not in the slightest. This is hubris (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubris) in its purest form and any good DM will let it slide for a while and then have the player pay the price. There are many downsides and enemies can and will abuse this if they know it.

1) Bandits focus the monk with ranged weapons because he can only deflect one per turn.

2) The monk will use his reaction to deflect even more missiles so he has nothing when it comes to retreating crossbow marksmen.

3) ???

4) Arrow riddled Monk.

I was talking personally. I am not trying to project my personal feelings and views onto others.
I mean the first post literally asks
What do you think? and I gave my honest answer, that is how I feel.

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 02:03 AM

I've thought of that but... *shrug*. They can already target me with a bunch of missiles if they want to do that. It's not like the curse grants them extra attacks against me. All it does is redirect missiles NOT directed at me.

In many cases they'll miss which is fine. Then I protected a possibly squishy party member. I have a 23 AC and a Cloak of Displacement which imposes disadvantage. Then if they hit, I'll make them regret it. If they decide on a strategy of riddling me with missiles, then they don't have a lot of time for that since I can move 130 ft and then attack and often stun. Point is I'm the preferred target over anyone else in the party for missile attacks from my side's point of view. Better me than the wizard or cleric or whatever.

Lombra
2017-03-12, 04:15 AM
I've thought of that but... *shrug*. They can already target me with a bunch of missiles if they want to do that. It's not like the curse grants them extra attacks against me. All it does is redirect missiles NOT directed at me.

In many cases they'll miss which is fine. Then I protected a possibly squishy party member. I have a 23 AC and a Cloak of Displacement which imposes disadvantage. Then if they hit, I'll make them regret it. If they decide on a strategy of riddling me with missiles, then they don't have a lot of time for that since I can move 130 ft and then attack and often stun. Point is I'm the preferred target over anyone else in the party for missile attacks from my side's point of view. Better me than the wizard or cleric or whatever.

23 AC is amazing, how did you achieve it? Of which level is your PC? All I can think about are bracers of defense, max DEX and WIS and that tome that enhances either dexterity or wisdom by 2 points.

JellyPooga
2017-03-12, 05:27 AM
Using the curse to your own advantage is better suited to Classes that are good Tanks. Yes, Monks can catch one missile per turn and chuck it back, but as pointed out, they will suffer hard if there's multiple ranged combatants involved. Tacking three levels of Monk onto another chassis might work, but you're probably looking at missing out on all the "not wielding a shield" Monk features (like Martial Arts) that are normally the draw of the Class.

Barbarian is the most obvious choice; not only does he enjoy using a shield in the first place (so no question of metagame shenanigans), but between his high HD and Con he can eat ranged most attacks for breakfast. He also doesn't have to worry about using one of his precious Rages per day to be an arrow magnet, because the shield grants resistance itself.

An EK Fighter/AT Rogue would probably be my second choice; no-one has a better AC (again, this guy is actually using the shield) and Rogue gives us Uncanny Dodge (which stacks with the resistance the shield grants) as an emergency backup, as well as the maneuverability to allow our allies the use of their ranged weaponry too. Rounding off this build with either Bladesinger or Abjurer Wizard is definitely an option.

Theodoxus
2017-03-12, 08:14 AM
Doesn't it require proficiency in order to attune an item? Seems odd to be able to attune a magic item that you don't have proficiency with...

Addaran
2017-03-12, 08:15 AM
Be carefull for when the enemies start using Remove Curse offensively against you. :smallcool:

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 08:41 AM
Something I should mention is my monk has been the target of a missile attack I think one time in 18 levels. If this occasionally results in more than once in a round, I'll be surprised but if it becomes a problem, I'll get the curse removed at that point. It's an experiment for the moment. It's also why I asked what folks think. Just saying in my experience, it's rare, and I think it'd be cool if this gives me an extra chance now and then to use that ability.

23 AC is amazing, how did you achieve it? Of which level is your PC? All I can think about are bracers of defense, max DEX and WIS and that tome that enhances either dexterity or wisdom by 2 points.

16 shadow monk / warlock 2 with a Staff of Power (+2 AC), 22 dex from Manual of Quickness of Action, 18 wisdom, and Blessing of the Steadfast Stone (+1 AC).

Doesn't it require proficiency in order to attune an item? Seems odd to be able to attune a magic item that you don't have proficiency with...

The shield has no attunement prerequisites. Look it up in the DMG. I don't think it seems odd considering anyone can use a shield if they don't mind the significant downsides of doing so without proficiency. As I said, I'm not actually wielding it.

Giant2005
2017-03-12, 09:09 AM
You can't unattune a cursed item (DMG page 139): "Attunement to a cursed item can't be ended voluntarily unless the curse is broken first, such as with the remove curse spell."

If ranged weapons are as rare as you say in your game, then it probably isn't worth the attunement slot.

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 09:55 AM
You can't unattune a cursed item (DMG page 139): "Attunement to a cursed item can't be ended voluntarily unless the curse is broken first, such as with the remove curse spell."

I wasn't aware of that rule. I just assumed if a cursed item didn't allow you to remove it, it said so in the description.

But upon further reading, if someone else attunes to it, that ends your attunement. That's not voluntary on your part. It doesn't necessarily end the curse though, as is the case here. Of course I have to find someone who's willing to attune to a cursed item and I have--the original owner, who's also already cursed.

RickAllison
2017-03-12, 12:54 PM

My wizard is currently attuned to a Sword of Sharpness, and no he cannot use it! It just happened to be that the only person who has proficiency in it already has a Sun Sword and refuses to use anything else as he sees it as a gift from his god.

So my wizard who can tap into Knowledge of the Ages uses it as a magic chisel and flashlight. My DM let me use it to break a soul out of a crystal from a Demilich's Trap Soul without losing the gen itself. It is a very rare magic weapon, the blade of an ancient hero, that is purely being used for utility...

Fishyninja
2017-03-12, 01:01 PM
It is a very rare magic weapon, the blade of an ancient hero, that is purely being used for utility...
Hey at least he is using it. Better to see it used then wasted.

RickAllison
2017-03-12, 01:36 PM
Hey at least he is using it. Better to see it used then wasted.

True enough! Since the wizard is also a big fan of heroes and their adventures (he is the fantasy equivalent of a comic book geek who grew up idolizing the heroes), he wouldn't even sell an object of such history unless it was going to somewhere where it would be given the proper respect it deserves. So it is sticking around for a while...

Fishyninja
2017-03-12, 01:43 PM
True enough! Since the wizard is also a big fan of heroes and their adventures (he is the fantasy equivalent of a comic book geek who grew up idolizing the heroes), he wouldn't even sell an object of such history unless it was going to somewhere where it would be given the proper respect it deserves. So it is sticking around for a while...

That could be a good RP point, you may find a museum or the such to donate it to!

Deleted
2017-03-12, 08:10 PM

You mean, exactly like how people would really do it?

If I could catch a bullet, and was going into a gun fight, I would wear beight orange and stand out in the open. The bright orange would be my "curse" (enemies automatically spot and target me) and I would use it to my advantage.

People who shout meta typically don't think of things from the perspective of characters.