PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does multiclassing slow down your Stat/Feat development?

rigolgm
2017-03-12, 04:44 AM
I have a simple question but I can't find the answer in the D&D 5E rulebook. Maybe someone can help.

If, for example, a Multiclass character becomes a Level 2 Cleric / Level 18 Wizard, will it be elligible to get that 19th level final Stat/ Feat development increase?

Put another way, does the fact that it spent 2 levels as a Cleric mean it's forever 2 levels 'behind' regarding when it gets those occasional Stat / Feat increases?

Clerics and Wizards increase Stats / Feats at the same time as each other, just as their number of Spell Slots increases at the same rate, so it feels a bit uneven if Multiclassing harms their ability to increases Stats / Feats (given that it doesn't harm Spell Slots).

Thanks.

Mike

Lombra
2017-03-12, 04:50 AM
No because he has no class with 19 levels. Feats are tied to class levels. Spellcasting for multiclass characters works differently and there's a section about it in the PHB. Yes multiclassing slows down your character progression but the good part is that you gain in versatility.

Fredaintdead
2017-03-12, 04:54 AM
Ability Score Improvements are tied directly to class level not character level. So yes, multiclassing can slow down feat/stat development.

Example:
Cleric8 has 2 Ability Score Improvements (one at Cleric4, one at Cleric8).
Cleric5/Wizard3 has 1 Ability Score Improvements (one at Cleric4).
Cleric3/Wizard3/Fighter2 has 0 Ability Score Improvements.
Cleric4/Wizard4 has 2 Ability Score Improvements (one at Cleric4, and one at Wizard4).

In your case, you would gain ASIs at the following points:
Wizard Level 4, Wizard Level 8, Wizard Level 12, Wizard Level 16.

So, yes, Cleric2/Wizard18 is one ASI behind Wizard20. Cleric4/Wizard16 would have the same number of ASIs as Wizard20.

rigolgm
2017-03-12, 04:59 AM
No because he has no class with 19 levels. Feats are tied to class levels. Spellcasting for multiclass characters works differently and there's a section about it in the PHB. Yes multiclassing slows down your character progression but the good part is that you gain in versatility.

Thanks both! Yeah, that's what I thought/feared! I just wondered if I'd missed something hidden elsewhere in the book. I'll probably stick with just one level in cleric, then. I suppose, in a way, I like how the rules tease and tempt me to go to that 2nd level for the extra Cleric ability etc. I guess it does all balance out surprisingly well, despite my initial grumble (and despite a few exceptions with powerful multiclass combinations). Quite clever rules.

JellyPooga
2017-03-12, 05:36 AM
Thanks both! Yeah, that's what I thought/feared! I just wondered if I'd missed something hidden elsewhere in the book. I'll probably stick with just one level in cleric, then. I suppose, in a way, I like how the rules tease and tempt me to go to that 2nd level for the extra Cleric ability etc. I guess it does all balance out surprisingly well, despite my initial grumble (and despite a few exceptions with powerful multiclass combinations). Quite clever rules.

Don't be drawn in to the supposed "necessity" of those ASI's. They really aren't all that important. Weigh your options and really look at what that second level of Cleric gets you compared to that 19th level of Wizard and then also consider when you'll get it. Is having one extra ASI at level 20 worth missing out on having Channel Divinity from as early as level 2? There's other considerations, like delaying access to higher level spells, of course so it's a tricky sort of conundrum. My advice is to go with your gut, not the mathmatics; build a character, not a character sheet.

Theodoxus
2017-03-12, 08:05 AM
There's hardly any decent Channel Divinity for any Domain if you're only grabbing 2 levels of Cleric. The delay in your wizardry is quite noticeable with only 1 level... I couldn't imagine the justification for 2!

(I'm currently playing a 1/3 Knowledge Cleric/Diviner Wizard - and it took 4 sessions to level from 3 to 4... not having 2nd level spells for such a long time really relegated me to cantrips and rituals.)

JellyPooga
2017-03-12, 08:17 AM
There's hardly any decent Channel Divinity for any Domain if you're only grabbing 2 levels of Cleric. The delay in your wizardry is quite noticeable with only 1 level... I couldn't imagine the justification for 2!

Jsut a couple of examples where it might be of value;
Storm Domain + Lightning Bolt = crispy fried anything
War Domain + Bladesinger = melee guy/caster
Knowledge Domain = automatic Skill-monkey

I agree that the delay to spellcasting is noticable (for instance, the Storm Cleric/Wizard isn't getting Lightning Bolt until level 7 instead of 5), but it depends on what you value and also what level you're starting at. Don't forget that Channel Divinity also powers Turn Undead; if nothing else, having access to that at lower levels to fend off the very common skeletons and zombies is valuable in and of itself.

Miffles
2017-03-12, 09:53 AM
When in doubt ask your really nerdy friend who has all 3 5e books and has read them if you don't have this friend then ask your dm if you are the dm then you make the rules