PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5e My LV5 Crusader weapons and ring(Ancestral Relic)

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-12, 07:09 AM
Hello guys, I need your help with my Crusader again.

My Crusader will join the party in the next meeting and one of the guys from my group made me want to take weapons that do all the different types of damage.

All my weapons will be Dwarvencraft or Masterwork(if their are not from metal or stone).
I have the flaw Pride of Arms (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/flaw:pride-of-arms)
I need the special matirial not to be to expansive and to be obtainable to dwarfs(lore friendly).
The items do not cost me money and I don't want to abuse my GM game.
I can use all 3.5e books.

I have:
Adamantine Greatsword .
Cold Iron Heavy Flail.
Composite +3 longbow(I am looking for a special matirial for it, maybe a stone or a metal one for the Dwarvencraft tamplet).

I want to have a Reach weapon and a Piercing melee weapon but I want it to be ok to carry (I don't really know how to write it so I will give an example:
A Greatsword one one leg, an Heavy Flail on the another and a Longbow on the back look reasonable to me, but 5 2-handed swords around the belt, 3 polearms on the back and 2 bows look weird and impractical).

I also have a ring as an Ancestral Relic but I don't know what to get.

right now the party fights some Evil Undead and Evil Outsiders, I will want it to help me(this is the only magic item I will get).

I will not get spells/day because We have ban it as a group.

Ashtagon
2017-03-13, 03:32 AM
You express concern about not looking like a walking weapons rack in one sentence. In another, you find it appropriate to have a great sword on your leg. As a dwarf you are five feet tall more or less. A great sword is supposed to be a few inches shy of six feet. Either we have very different ideas of what dwarfs are, or we have very different ideas of what great swords are.

Vogie
2017-03-13, 10:29 AM
An efficient quiver could hold an absurd amount of Arrows, while also providing access to Spears, Staves, & Javelins, alongside your bow. You could use DM fiat (or create a more expensive, upgraded version) to allow it to also hold a Polearm.

Dagroth
2017-03-13, 12:02 PM
An efficient quiver could hold an absurd amount of Arrows, while also providing access to Spears, Staves, & Javelins, alongside your bow. You could use DM fiat (or create a more expensive, upgraded version) to allow it to also hold a Polearm.

There's a magic item for that.

Quiver of Ehlonna (sp?)

Deadline
2017-03-13, 12:36 PM

Quiver of Ehlonna (sp?)

Yes, in the SRD it's called the Efficient Quiver (Because Ehlonna isn't OGC).

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-13, 01:36 PM
Can't use magic items.

Quiver of Ehlonna (sp?)
Can't use magic items.

You express concern about not looking like a walking weapons rack in one sentence. In another, you find it appropriate to have a great sword on your leg. As a dwarf you are five feet tall more or less. A great sword is supposed to be a few inches shy of six feet. Either we have very different ideas of what dwarfs are, or we have very different ideas of what great swords are.
Why do you think I am a dwarf?
I am one of the Human Crusaders of Moradin.
(I forgot to tell you guys that I am a human, my bad).

Yes, in the SRD it's called the Efficient Quiver (Because Ehlonna isn't OGC).

Can't use magic items.

Ashtagon
2017-03-13, 01:49 PM
Why do you think I am a dwarf?
I am one of the Human Crusaders of Moradin.
(I forgot to tell you guys that I am a human, my bad).

You did say the items needed to be accessible to dwarfs. I suppose I made the assumption that this meant your character was a dwarf. My bad.

But even so — humans shouldn't b able to carry a great sword on a leg either. You're talking about a weapon just shy of six feet on a mount that is about three feet off the ground. Realistically, the only place a great sword, long bow, and most other two-handed weapons can go is either on your back or in your hands.

That said, if realism is not important, go wild. Encumbrance is your limit — if that!

Vogie
2017-03-13, 02:58 PM
Sorry, I missed that only the ring can be a magic item.

Obviously the Ring of Arming (Magic item compendium) sounds like something you'd be interested in, but you'd have to figure out what the Ancestral progression of it would be - possibly upgrading into cycle through more types of weapons so you don't have to worry about the above argument? Possibly a progression of rings that end up becoming a Ring of Freedom of Movement (DMG)?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-13, 04:25 PM
You did say the items needed to be accessible to dwarfs. I suppose I made the assumption that this meant your character was a dwarf. My bad.

But even so — humans shouldn't b able to carry a great sword on a leg either. You're talking about a weapon just shy of six feet on a mount that is about three feet off the ground. Realistically, the only place a great sword, long bow, and most other two-handed weapons can go is either on your back or in your hands.

That said, if realism is not important, go wild. Encumbrance is your limit — if that!

I am looking for items that a dwarven city will give to her god's warriors.
I need some thing with reach and the piercing damage type (I can change all my weapons if you will be able to find a why make it better or at the same level with all the damage types).

I also look for a special matirial for my bow, one that will help me make it into a Dwarvencraft item.

I can still she her(she is tall for a human) with a Greatsword and a bow on her back, thanks for reminding me about the Greatsword size.

Sorry, I missed that only the ring can be a magic item.

Obviously the Ring of Arming (Magic item compendium) sounds like something you'd be interested in, but you'd have to figure out what the Ancestral progression of it would be - possibly upgrading into cycle through more types of weapons so you don't have to worry about the above argument? Possibly a progression of rings that end up becoming a Ring of Freedom of Movement (DMG)?

I should have the ability to make it into a Ring of Arming at level 6 but I am starting at level 5, I need to find a magic ring that costs 4500gp(It can cost less) but I don't know what to take.

You can find the information about this feat in BoEF.

Grand Arbiter
2017-03-13, 04:29 PM
You can find the information about this feat here

ixnay on the inklay. That site exists but is not to be mentioned/linked to.

EDIT: And do you mean Crusader as in paladin or the ToB class?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-13, 04:45 PM
ixnay on the inklay. That site exists but is not to be mentioned/linked to.

EDIT: And do you mean Crusader as in paladin or the ToB class?
Thank you, I am using the EX ability Edit in order to make it legal.

The ToB class, the Paladins are also there but they are not a part of the Crusaders organisation in this world.

Grand Arbiter
2017-03-13, 05:45 PM
Thank you, I am using the EX ability Edit in order to make it legal.

The ToB class, the Paladins are also there but they are not a part of the Crusaders organisation in this world.

If I may ask, why is it that you were suggested to have a variety of weapons?
Crusaders have access to the Mountain Hammer line from Stone Dragon, and Foehammer from Devoted Spirit. Both of which overcome DR, making it less troublesome to counter. Special material arrows would be a good idea though, as I don't think those maneuvers work at range.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-13, 05:51 PM
If I may ask, why is it that you were suggested to have a variety of weapons?
Crusaders have access to the Mountain Hammer line from Stone Dragon, and Foehammer from Devoted Spirit. Both of which overcome DR, making it less troublesome to counter. Special material arrows would be a good idea though, as I don't think those maneuvers work at range.

Because of roll-play, after all I have the Pride os Arms flaw and I will like to have Martial Weapons that can do all the different jobs they can, even if I will only use one or two.

Anyway, I will not have my maneuvers every turn and having different weapons will help me to do damage every turn.

Darrin
2017-03-14, 08:24 AM
Composite +3 longbow(I am looking for a special matirial for it, maybe a stone or a metal one for the Dwarvencraft tamplet).

The best material for bows is Serren (+4000 GP, Book of Exalted Deeds). It gives your bow the Ghost Touch property, although it's a bit expensive. There aren't a lot of special materials that can be used for bows... they need to be flexible, so metal/stone aren't really an option. Some other options:

Darkwood (+10 GP/lb, DMG). Halves the weight of the longbow, but doesn't do much else.
Dragonbone (+100 GP, Draconomicon). Adds +20' to the range.
Rimefire Ice (+750 GP, Frostburn). +1 cold damage, but it melts in warm weather.

There's also the Bone Bow in Frostburn. This isn't made out of a special material exactly, but is an exotic weapon (presumably, you could make this a Dragoncraft weapon if you like). It has the same damage as a Great Bow, but what makes it interesting is in the description it says, "A bone bow functions as a composite longbow with regard to applying the user’s Strength bonus to damage done with arrows shot from it." Some people contend that this means the bow "auto-adjusts" to your Str modifier, and you can thus treat it as a Mighty Composite Longbow regardless of what your current Str modifier happens to be. Some other people contend that this just means you can buy a Mighty version just like any other composite bow, but you still have to pay for each +1, and it doesn't adjust if your Str bonus changes. Ask your DM to clarify.

Regardless of which bow/material you choose, I would highly recommend you add Elvencraft (+300 GP, Races of the Wild) to it. This lets you treat the bow as a quarterstaff, which not only allows you to threaten adjacent squares, it can be enhanced as a weapon three different ways: either side as double weapon and as a ranged weapon.

In fact, in your last thread I suggested that this elvencraft composite longbow should be your Ancestral Relic, as it offers the most options for enchantment. I still highly recommend this.

I want to have a Reach weapon and a Piercing melee weapon but I want it to be ok to carry (I don't really know how to write it so I will give an example:
A Greatsword one one leg, an Heavy Flail on the another and a Longbow on the back look reasonable to me, but 5 2-handed swords around the belt, 3 polearms on the back and 2 bows look weird and impractical).

Dragon Compendium has several martial polearms with reach that can do piercing damage.

Lucerne Hammer can do either 2d4 Bludgeoning or Piercing damage.
Partisan can do either 2d4 Slashing or Piercing damage.

There's also the Duom, which does 1d8 Piercing damage, but can also attack adjacent opponents. (Read the description carefully. There's a -2 penalty for attacking additional adjacent opponents, but no penalty for attacking a single adjacent opponent.)

If you go with the Lucerne Hammer or Partisan, then you can use armor spikes to make piercing attacks against adjacent opponents. You may want to upgrade to Netcutter Spikes (Races of the Wild) for 150 GP.

I also have a ring as an Ancestral Relic but I don't know what to get.

Rings tend to be very expensive. There aren't a lot of options under 12K. There's a few in the 2K range, but not much in the mid-level price ranges. The cheapest rings:

Ring of Protection +1 (2000 GP, DMG). Classic standard defensive item, and every PC winds up with one at some point. Since it's an Ancestral Relic, you can increase the deflection bonus later by sacrificing stuff to it.

Ring of Feather Falling (2200 GP, DMG). Another classic, and makes you pretty much immune to pit traps/falling damage. Normally, the usefulness fades as the ability to fly becomes more common, but it sounds like in a low magic/no spellcasting campaign, this could be really useful for your entire career.

Ring of Four Winds (2000 GP, MIC). This is similar to a Ring of Feather Falling, but can only be used 4/day... which should be more than enough for most adventurers, unless the DM has a disturbing pit trap fetish. There's also the option to activate it for a +2 deflection bonus against a single attack, but this can be hard to use if the DM isn't rolling in the open or isn't willing to tell you when an attack "just barely" hit you and when a +2 AC bonus wouldn't matter. Some DMs will be nice about this, and some will force you to "guess", which could waste your uses per day. But if you're looking for something more interesting or interactive than the typical Protection/Feather Fall options, this could give you the best of both worlds.

Ring of Sustenance (2500 GP, DMG). This one is situational, and depends a great deal on how much of a stickler the DM is on keeping track of rations, water, etc. Even if the DM doesn't care about keeping track of food/water, the ability to get a full night's rest with only 2 hours of sleep can be immensely useful when it comes to setting up watches. So... it's a little on the boring side, but in certain campaigns could be a life-saver.

Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC). One of my absolute favorite items. Faerie fire effect (5' burst) 5/day, only it also does 1d6 electricity damage for five rounds, *NO SAVE*. That's 25d6 damage per day if you're patient enough to wait. I love this item because it does multiple things: area effect, negates concealment/invisibility, and does some decent energy damage.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-14, 09:01 AM
The best material for bows is Serren (+4000 GP, Book of Exalted Deeds). It gives your bow the Ghost Touch property, although it's a bit expensive. There aren't a lot of special materials that can be used for bows... they need to be flexible, so metal/stone aren't really an option. Some other options:

Darkwood (+10 GP/lb, DMG). Halves the weight of the longbow, but doesn't do much else.
Dragonbone (+100 GP, Draconomicon). Adds +20' to the range.
Rimefire Ice (+750 GP, Frostburn). +1 cold damage, but it melts in warm weather.

There's also the Bone Bow in Frostburn. This isn't made out of a special material exactly, but is an exotic weapon (presumably, you could make this a Dragoncraft weapon if you like). It has the same damage as a Great Bow, but what makes it interesting is in the description it says, "A bone bow functions as a composite longbow with regard to applying the user’s Strength bonus to damage done with arrows shot from it." Some people contend that this means the bow "auto-adjusts" to your Str modifier, and you can thus treat it as a Mighty Composite Longbow regardless of what your current Str modifier happens to be. Some other people contend that this just means you can buy a Mighty version just like any other composite bow, but you still have to pay for each +1, and it doesn't adjust if your Str bonus changes. Ask your DM to clarify.

Regardless of which bow/material you choose, I would highly recommend you add Elvencraft (+300 GP, Races of the Wild) to it. This lets you treat the bow as a quarterstaff, which not only allows you to threaten adjacent squares, it can be enhanced as a weapon three different ways: either side as double weapon and as a ranged weapon.

In fact, in your last thread I suggested that this elvencraft composite longbow should be your Ancestral Relic, as it offers the most options for enchantment. I still highly recommend this.

Dragon Compendium has several martial polearms with reach that can do piercing damage.

Lucerne Hammer can do either 2d4 Bludgeoning or Piercing damage.
Partisan can do either 2d4 Slashing or Piercing damage.

There's also the Duom, which does 1d8 Piercing damage, but can also attack adjacent opponents. (Read the description carefully. There's a -2 penalty for attacking additional adjacent opponents, but no penalty for attacking a single adjacent opponent.)

If you go with the Lucerne Hammer or Partisan, then you can use armor spikes to make piercing attacks against adjacent opponents. You may want to upgrade to Netcutter Spikes (Races of the Wild) for 150 GP.

Rings tend to be very expensive. There aren't a lot of options under 12K. There's a few in the 2K range, but not much in the mid-level price ranges. The cheapest rings:

Ring of Protection +1 (2000 GP, DMG). Classic standard defensive item, and every PC winds up with one at some point. Since it's an Ancestral Relic, you can increase the deflection bonus later by sacrificing stuff to it.

Ring of Feather Falling (2200 GP, DMG). Another classic, and makes you pretty much immune to pit traps/falling damage. Normally, the usefulness fades as the ability to fly becomes more common, but it sounds like in a low magic/no spellcasting campaign, this could be really useful for your entire career.

Ring of Four Winds (2000 GP, MIC). This is similar to a Ring of Feather Falling, but can only be used 4/day... which should be more than enough for most adventurers, unless the DM has a disturbing pit trap fetish. There's also the option to activate it for a +2 deflection bonus against a single attack, but this can be hard to use if the DM isn't rolling in the open or isn't willing to tell you when an attack "just barely" hit you and when a +2 AC bonus wouldn't matter. Some DMs will be nice about this, and some will force you to "guess", which could waste your uses per day. But if you're looking for something more interesting or interactive than the typical Protection/Feather Fall options, this could give you the best of both worlds.

Ring of Sustenance (2500 GP, DMG). This one is situational, and depends a great deal on how much of a stickler the DM is on keeping track of rations, water, etc. Even if the DM doesn't care about keeping track of food/water, the ability to get a full night's rest with only 2 hours of sleep can be immensely useful when it comes to setting up watches. So... it's a little on the boring side, but in certain campaigns could be a life-saver.

Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC). One of my absolute favorite items. Faerie fire effect (5' burst) 5/day, only it also does 1d6 electricity damage for five rounds, *NO SAVE*. That's 25d6 damage per day if you're patient enough to wait. I love this item because it does multiple things: area effect, negates concealment/invisibility, and does some decent energy damage.
First, THANK you, you gave me help in every single thread about this Crusader.

I can't really get Elvencraft because I don't have a why to make it lore friendly and if my Crusader will have a bow that was in her family for a long time she will not take it outside of her city, she will take something little and light or a big weapon like a Greatsword, but I like the idea of a ring.

About the rings, I think I will take one of the two in the end, the Ring of Sustenance will be very good for her personality and the Stormfire Ring just awesome.

Edit:
The Duom look like what I am looking for.

I really can't thank you enough.

CrazyNoob
2017-03-14, 11:24 PM
Sounds like you should get yourself a Rod of Lordly Might (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#lordlyMight). Or some other varient of it..

Its a Mace,
Long Sword,
Spear Short or Long,
Great Axe,
Ladder
Door Stop
Compass

10lb paper wieght..
Traffic sign...
Makes curly fries
Makes waffle fries if your careful.

too bad it's too dang expensive and you can't use magic items..

Metahuman1
2017-03-14, 11:40 PM
Alternative suggestion?

Feats: Unnatural Reach, Improved Unarmed Strike, Versatile Unarmed Strike, Hammerfist, Superior Unarmed Strike.

Buy an Eternal Wand of Caster level 6 Greater Mighty Wallop and a Necklace of Natural weapons.

You have reach, can do all 3 damage types at your choosing, and have respectable damage output with your hands.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-03-15, 06:30 AM
Sounds like you should get yourself a Rod of Lordly Might (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#lordlyMight). Or some other varient of it..

Its a Mace,
Long Sword,
Spear Short or Long,
Great Axe,
Ladder
Door Stop
Compass

10lb paper wieght..
Traffic sign...
Makes curly fries
Makes waffle fries if your careful.

too bad it's too dang expensive and you can't use magic items..
Why did you write it if you know that I can't get magic items?
This isn't a nice thing to do :(

Alternative suggestion?

Feats: Unnatural Reach, Improved Unarmed Strike, Versatile Unarmed Strike, Hammerfist, Superior Unarmed Strike.

Buy an Eternal Wand of Caster level 6 Greater Mighty Wallop and a Necklace of Natural weapons.

You have reach, can do all 3 damage types at your choosing, and have respectable damage output with your hands.

To bad I have Pride of Arms, I will get -4 to attack with unarmed strikes.

BTW, I can't get magic items.