PDA

View Full Version : Getting Spring Attack Early?

ATHATH
2017-03-12, 07:48 AM
I'm planning to make a Jaunter/Elocater E6 build soon, but Jaunter's Spring Attack prerequisite annoyingly has its own prerequisite of +4 BAB.

Is there a template or something that will let me ignore that prerequisite and get it as a bonus feat or something?

ATHATH
2017-03-12, 07:51 AM
Come to think of it, Martial Monk might work, but I'd still like to look for other options.

And no, Bardic Music temporary HD will not work for my purposes.

Calthropstu
2017-03-12, 07:54 AM
So like...

Winter attack?

Edit: Swing and a miss.

Necroticplague
2017-03-12, 09:09 AM
Level 1 fighter: Dodge, Mobility.
Get bitten by a were-brow-bear. The extra Animal RHD Will increase your BaB to +4.
Fighter2: Spring Attack.

Once you have enough Juanter levels that they provide the BaB prerequisites, you cure your lycanthropy.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-12, 09:17 AM
If you can find a suitable creature that gets it as a bonus feat, Alter Self will grant it temporarily. Off the top of my head, there's a 4HD bat (one of the Desmodu ones maybe?) that does, so applying Aspect of the Wolf first will work.

ben-zayb
2017-03-12, 09:31 AM
A less-cheesy approach would be an Entomanothrope (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a) Small Snow Spider (Frostburn). That's 1RHD and LA +2, which you should be able to buy off.

Ruethgar
2017-03-12, 03:31 PM
And slightly more cheesy would be an awakened animal, several of which have their ECL set to 0 despite 3 RHD.

Inevitability
2017-03-12, 04:22 PM
Take Skill Focus (Diplomacy), then dip marshal?

Crake
2017-03-12, 07:06 PM
And slightly more cheesy would be an awakened animal, several of which have their ECL set to 0 despite 3 RHD.

This is of course, from 3.0 dragon magazine material, and would likely not stand in any real game, since the rules have been pretty significantly updated, and any HD adds to character level, so having an ECL that is lower than your character level is counter to the current game design.

Level 1 fighter: Dodge, Mobility.
Get bitten by a were-brow-bear. The extra Animal RHD Will increase your BaB to +4.
Fighter2: Spring Attack.

Once you have enough Juanter levels that they provide the BaB prerequisites, you cure your lycanthropy.

OP said it was an E6 game, and the quickest way you could get fighter 2 spring attack would be with 3 racial HD and 2 fighter levels, leaving only 1 level of jaunter before you hit the level 6 cap, not enough to be able to naturally qualify for 4 bab.

Necroticplague
2017-03-12, 09:02 PM
OP said it was an E6 game, and the quickest way you could get fighter 2 spring attack would be with 3 racial HD and 2 fighter levels, leaving only 1 level of jaunter before you hit the level 6 cap, not enough to be able to naturally qualify for 4 bab.
Whoops, missed that. Thought it said Elocator 6, not E6.

For a simpler/cheesier, but similar method, one could use the Symbiotic template from SS (LA+1) to bond with a creature that has the feat chain. Only increases your own level by one, regardless of the ECL of the other creature.

This is of course, from 3.0 dragon magazine material, and would likely not stand in any real game, since the rules have been pretty significantly updated, and any HD adds to character level, so having an ECL that is lower than your character level is counter to the current game design. Not really. RECL=RHD+LA. So, you can balance out RECL<RHD with negative LAs. Several creatures in the ELH actually have these, and it wasn't mentioned as being an error in the errata.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-13, 10:48 AM
Take Skill Focus (Diplomacy), then dip marshal?I believe the general rule for bonus feats from class levels is that you still have to qualify unless they say you don't, like Monk or Ranger. It's just racial bonus feats for monsters that have a general exemption.

Inevitability
2017-03-13, 12:07 PM
I believe the general rule for bonus feats from class levels is that you still have to qualify unless they say you don't, like Monk or Ranger. It's just racial bonus feats for monsters that have a general exemption.

Mind giving a rules quotation for that? There's lots of classes with bonus feats that specifically say you do have to meet the prerequisites as well (exhibit #1: fighter).

Dagroth
2017-03-13, 12:12 PM
I believe the general rule for bonus feats from class levels is that you still have to qualify unless they say you don't, like Monk or Ranger. It's just racial bonus feats for monsters that have a general exemption.

Mind giving a rules quotation for that? There's lots of classes with bonus feats that specifically say you do have to meet the prerequisites as well (exhibit #1: fighter).

Uh, that's what he said... that you do have to meet the prerequisites unless the class (like Monk or Ranger) specifically says you don't.

Inevitability
2017-03-13, 01:02 PM
Uh, that's what he said... that you do have to meet the prerequisites unless the class (like Monk or Ranger) specifically says you don't.

I was pointing out the monk/ranger class saying prerequisites don't have to be met doesn't prove anything by giving an equivalent counter-example.

Dagroth
2017-03-13, 01:31 PM
From the PHB:

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite. For example, at 3rd level, Krusk, the halforc barbarian, could spend 1 skill point on the Ride skill (gaining his first rank in Ride) and select the Mounted Combat feat at the same time.

A character can’t use a feat if he or she has lost a prerequisite. For example, if your character’s Strength drops below 13 because a ray of enfeeblement spell, he or she can’t use the Power Attack feat until the prerequisite is once again met.

Inevitability
2017-03-13, 02:06 PM
From the PHB:

Quotation riposte!

Sometimes a creature has one or more bonus feats, marked with a superscript B (B). Creatures often do not have the prerequisites for a bonus feat. If this is so, the creature can still use the feat.

As this is specifically referring to bonus feats, rather than feats in general, I believe it takes precedent.

Necroticplague
2017-03-13, 05:53 PM
Quotation riposte!

As this is specifically referring to bonus feats, rather than feats in general, I believe it takes precedent.

However, the context of a legal sentence can be very important. And in that context, it's talking about racial bonus feats in monster entries.

ATHATH
2017-03-13, 07:04 PM
Also, it says "often", not "always".

Grod_The_Giant
2017-03-13, 07:29 PM
Varag (MM4) get Spring Attack as a racial bonus feat, and are available as an Alter Self option. 3 HD, though.

EDIT: +2 LA and 3 RHD; the book also presents a racial class.

Inevitability
2017-03-14, 01:40 AM
However, the context of a legal sentence can be very important. And in that context, it's talking about racial bonus feats in monster entries.

Really?

The line gives the creature’s feats. A monster gains feats just as a character does. Sometimes a creature has one or more bonus feats, marked with a superscript B (B). Creatures often do not have the prerequisites for a bonus feat. If this is so, the creature can still use the feat. If you wish to customize the creature with new feats, you can reassign its other feats, but not its bonus feats. A creature cannot have a feat that is not a bonus feat unless it has the feat’s prerequisites.

I'm not convinced any part of this specifically refers to racial bonus feats.

Tohsaka Rin
2017-03-14, 08:44 AM
Varag (MM4) get Spring Attack as a racial bonus feat, and are available as an Alter Self option. 3 HD, though.

Thread over, Grod wins.

QUOTALITY!