PDA

View Full Version : Why does monk exist

Miffles
2017-03-12, 09:47 AM
I took a good look at monk and played a game or two with him at a low level and i quickly realized that anything monk can do rouges or fighters do better so can someone tell me their role and why they are a class

Fishyninja
2017-03-12, 09:50 AM
In case you were not aware, you have double posted this thread.

Miffles
2017-03-12, 02:30 PM
In case you were not aware, you have double posted this thread.

Sorry is there a way to take down the other thread

Fishyninja
2017-03-12, 02:32 PM
I think someone has to report it, let me see if I can do something.

[Edit: Reporting doesn't work]

Pronounceable
2017-03-12, 02:46 PM
A) Why does any other class exist?
B) Because people want to punch dragons.

Sigreid
2017-03-12, 02:50 PM
Because some people want to fantasize about being like their favorite character in a chap-saki movie or the Kung-Fu series.

And no, no other class can compete with monk if what you want to do is give a bare knuckle beat down.

Marcloure
2017-03-12, 03:01 PM
Because of the theme.

Luccan
2017-03-12, 03:32 PM
There's several reasons, but one to consider is that even if we assume that in any situation where a monk is doing something a rogue or a fighter can do, that one of those classes always does it better, a monk is still better than a rogue at "fighter things" and better than a fighter at "rogue things". It isn't designed to outclass what those classes do best. In some ways, it melds what they do, in other ways, it's also a unique class with several unique subclasses.

Because some people want to fantasize about being like their favorite character in a chap-saki movie or the Kung-Fu series.

And no, no other class can compete with monk if what you want to do is give a bare knuckle beat down.

Plus, with the way subclasses are set up, I'm not sure any of the monk subclasses really fit rogues or fighters in this edition. They're all focused on different martial arts tropes and characters. The closest to this in any other class is the fighter subclass that's just named Samurai, but there's not really much "samurai" about it.

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 03:37 PM
Stunning Strike

The End.

JumboWheat01
2017-03-12, 08:37 PM
Because everybody was kung-fu fighting (https://youtu.be/jhUkGIsKvn0)...

Xrposiedon
2017-03-12, 09:06 PM
Also, what other class can run into the middle of a fight, hit the creature, person etc...whatever it is.......and run 40 movement or more away....

You dont play a monk like you would play an RPG....you dont "TANK N SPANK" with a monk...while I guess you could...

In 5e, its all about hit and run tactics...

With Multiclassing as well....there are many threads where people show how you can get over 1000 ft of movement in a single round.

....Take all this into account, I would still take a lvl 10+ monk in a fight vs a fighter (That is if we pair these classes 1v1 against each other)

So why play monk?

1) If you want your run speed to break the speed of sound....do it.

2)If you want to Multiclass into warlock, cast darkness on yourself, and see in the magical darkness, gain advantage on all strikes, and they have disadvantage on all strikes.

3) If you like to stun, or even just outright kill something at higher levels with Quivering Palm.

4) If you dont understand how good a monk can be, and you are looking at it over and over again thinking its bad.....try it out

EDIT: Watch Episode 85 of Critical Role -- A bards lament --- You should understand why monks are good after watching that...

Miffles
2017-03-12, 09:14 PM
But what does monk do it doesent do damage, tanking, healing all it has is speed

Miffles
2017-03-12, 09:19 PM
Also, what other class can run into the middle of a fight, hit the creature, person etc...whatever it is.......and run 40 movement or more away....

You dont play a monk like you would play an RPG....you dont "TANK N SPANK" with a monk...while I guess you could...

In 5e, its all about hit and run tactics...

With Multiclassing as well....there are many threads where people show how you can get over 1000 ft of movement in a single round.

....Take all this into account, I would still take a lvl 10+ monk in a fight vs a fighter (That is if we pair these classes 1v1 against each other)

So why play monk?

1) If you want your run speed to break the speed of sound....do it.

2)If you want to Multiclass into warlock, cast darkness on yourself, and see in the magical darkness, gain advantage on all strikes, and they have disadvantage on all strikes.

3) If you like to stun, or even just outright kill something at higher levels with Quivering Palm.

4) If you dont understand how good a monk can be, and you are looking at it over and over again thinking its bad.....try it out

EDIT: Watch Episode 85 of Critical Role -- A bards lament --- You should understand why monks are good after watching that...
The ki points run out too fast (im playing level 4 moon druid right now but i have been looking at monk for ages and if you look in the thread post i have allready played monk

Talionis
2017-03-12, 09:27 PM
First off don't feel like Monks have to be Asian themed. They are simply a mostly mundane class that is good at attacking without a weapon. You can use the Monk mechanics for a Boxer or a Brawler. It's for anyone focused on making their body the weapon.

Monk has its own separate mechanics and it's much healthier than previous editions. In 3.5 we'd joke about how poorly designed the Monk was. But 5E monk is solid. I've played one to level 16 and thought it was fun and interesting.

Roles in party. I was a scout and skirmisher. Defensively solid on the battlefield and stuns provide good control. From video games you make a good off tank, you can move around the battlefield well preventing enemies that get past the main tank from getting to the squishys. But I felt valuable.

Dalebert
2017-03-12, 10:58 PM
My shadow monk 16 / warlock 2 was dealing 4d8+6d6+28 dmg every round to Jubilex yesterday.

In the interest of full disclosure, Staff of Power helped for 2d6 of that.

Finback
2017-03-12, 11:16 PM
"Why does monk exist"

A more important question might be, "how is babby form".