PDA

View Full Version : A Generalist Sorcerer Build

rooneg
2017-03-12, 11:14 AM
I'm kicking around ideas for a sort of generalist sorcerer build and I'd like to get some feedback. The concept is a sorcerer who grew up in a family of wizards, but was never any good at it (INT 8). Over the years her draconic sorcery started to manifest, helping to cover up her complete and utter lack of wizardly ability. She's a variant human with the ritual caster feat (starting with Detect Magic and Find Familiar) to represent her early wizard training, and to add some versatility to the build. WIS starts at 13 to allow ritual caster, and to set up an eventual Resilient WIS feat.

STR 8
DEX 13 + 1 = 14
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 13
CHA 15 + 1 = 16

She'll have a Headband of Intellect (Yay for Adventurers League DM Quests, I just happen to have a Headband of Intellect reward lying around waiting to be used), which will help cover for her low INT (and makes her Arcana skill actually pretty good) and let her do a better "I'm totally a wizard, obviously" impression.

The really interesting question is the spell selection. I'm leaning towards Gold dragon for Fire affinity, so here's the initial stuff she'll have at level 5 when she starts out. Metamagic at 3rd level will be Quicken and Twin.

Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, Minor Illusion, Light, Prestidigitation
1st: Shield
2nd: Mirror Image, Misty Step, Suggestion
3rd: Counterspell, Fireball

If there was a ranged cantrip that did lightning damage (d8 or d10 base) I'd totally switch from Fire to Lightning for damage type, but sadly Shocking Grasp and Lightning Lure just don't cut it. Cold has neat cantrip options (I'd dip into Elemental Evil spells for Frostbite if I went that way), but lacks a decent level 3 option like Fireball or Lightning Bolt. I'm not in love with the idea of spamming leveled up Chromatic Orb all day long.

Subsequent spells would be Haste at 6th level, Polymorph at 7th, Greater Invisibility at 8th, Cone of Cold at 9th and Animate Objects at 10th. The 10th level Metamagic will be Heightened.

I'm shooting for a mix of damage dealing (mostly via twinned or quickened cantrips, with Fireball for an AOE), buffs, and debuffs. I figure a typical combat will start with a quickened Mirror Image + Fire Bolt, then establish some sort of useful concentration spell and spam cantrips (maybe quickened or twinned) for the rest of the fight. Greater Invisibility could also be Banishment, which is helpful for fighting Fiends and other similar creatures that often end up being fire resistant. The Cone of Cold is largely there because WOW most of the interesting high level spells require concentration, and it might be nice to have something non-fire that does massive damage. Is that something worth worrying about? The alternative option for that slot is Hold Monster, but even more concentration?

ASIs are intended to be +2 CHA at level 4 and Resilient WIS at level 8. I'd rather not take Elemental Adept if I can avoid it.

So what do people think? Is this a fun looking character? Is she trying to do too many different kind of things with her spell selection? Have I picked anything that I'm going to really regret later? Any obviously awesome stuff I'm missing out on?

Sans.
2017-03-12, 12:29 PM
The backstory and character seem fine and flavorful. You don't need all the level 2 spells, I would say. One buff is enough(ignore the unintended rhyme). Maybe take another level one spell; you're gonna be casting 4 of them a day, are all of them going to be Shield?

rooneg
2017-03-12, 01:45 PM
The backstory and character seem fine and flavorful. You don't need all the level 2 spells, I would say. One buff is enough(ignore the unintended rhyme). Maybe take another level one spell; you're gonna be casting 4 of them a day, are all of them going to be Shield?

Honestly, Shield is the most useful level 1 spell in my opinion. The rest of the level one spells drop in usefulness after level 5. If I was playing through the lower levels I'd have Sleep and Magic Missile, and if I had a weird elemental affinity I'd want Chromatic Orb, but beyond that the rest are fringe. The level 2 spells are currently one emergency escape (Misty Step), one defensive buff (Mirror Image), and one widely applicable spell (Suggestion). One will be used constantly, the others are more conditional, but not rare either. Did you have specific ideas on what to drop and what to add?